It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Carrier Harry S. Truman Has Close Call With Iranian Rockets

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

So before everyone flames me, I'll just so that yes, the Iranians are being dicks and deliberately provoking us, but then again by sending a carrier a stone's throw away from their coast we are also provoking them. Tit for tat.

Provocation implies that you are trying to get a reaction. You think the Iranians were trying to get a response from a US carrier group? (I assume the carrier was not alone).
edit on 12/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

doesnt matter if its one inch or 8000 feet long its 1500 feet away

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Actually there was communication although in only 1 direction. Iran announced over maritime radio channels it was conducting live fire drills. Even though they were close there werent in the direction of the military or commercial vessels.

I dont think Iran is stupid enough to launch missiles in the direction of military vessels.
edit on 30-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis
edit on 30-12-2015 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: EightTF3

Well said.

These sorts of things are a direct result of the perceived weakness of the sitting President.

The next one is going to be tested like no President ever has been...and he, or she, had better not be found wanting...or things are gonna get very interesting.
what if she snivels like a little B---- and whines that her counterparts are all sexist and she's a victim?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Isn't there some naval tactic that says a sunken AC Carrier can effectively close the straits of Hormuz as a key shipping lane?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

from the OP

Iranian navy fast and short attack craft began conducting a live-fire exercise

You state

If they were firing towards it, the boats that launched wouldn't be here anymore

Gee like a carrier is invincible and lets not forget its a US carrier...so it has super powers and the minute the patrol boats launched beams of magic left the carrier cutting down everything in its path...
You americans are so funny

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The US complaining is pretty much a pot and kettle situation, given what has gone on in the MidEast for 10+ years.

I bet the problem is that 23 seconds of warning caused to leadership to realize they would have been in trouble had the rockets actually been aimed at the ship. And, of course, it make for good propaganda on Iran to the American people.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It's like the runty kid trying to show off in front of the bigger kid.

Nothing new under this Sun.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Except it goes in with a carrier battle group which act as pickets. The carrier does not need to do much of anything unless threats penetrate the picket line.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

So before everyone flames me, I'll just so that yes, the Iranians are being dicks and deliberately provoking us, but then again by sending a carrier a stone's throw away from their coast we are also provoking them. Tit for tat.

Provocation implies that you are trying to get a reaction. You think the Iranians were trying to get a response from a US carrier group? (I assume the carrier was not alone).

Or a reaction from the world stage.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I didn't say a damn thing about the carrier being invincible did I? Or that it wouldn't take damage. Now did I. But do you seriously think that a carrier is sailing all by itself and there aren't a bunch of other warships sailing very close to it? Those ships would kill the launching boats almost as soon as they verified they were heading towards the carrier.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I don't have the facts regarding whether they were trying to provoke us, or we were trying to provoke them. Another source someone linked above implied this was a scheduled test that the US was notified about, so who is making the claim that these were rockets launched 'at our ships in some deliberate' manner? The shipping lane in the strait put our ships within 10 miles of Iran, so it is an extremely sensitive passage for Iran when we send our war ships through it. When I served in the Navy (80's) we did not send the carriers through it, they sat out in the gulf of Oman (or further) and conducted sorties from there. (it was when Iran closed the straits and were blocking oil shipping) Other ships in the task force were the ones entering the strait, we were the sacrificial pawns if you will).

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Iran issued a warning over maritime radio shortly before conducting the missile test asking vessels to remain clear. The USS Harry S. Truman was about 1,500 yards (1371 meters) away from the launch location. The rockets were directed off the carrier’s starboard side, away from commercial ships and the traffic lane, the sources said.

Yet, while Iranians were “clearly not” trying to target the US ship, the officials called the drill “unnecessarily provocative and unsafe.”

A fair question would be how often does the US notify Iran before launching cruise missile over their country? This is the game we play, we provoke, they provoke, the war hawks can easily start a war by such means.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It was more funny than exciting. I hurt myself laughing.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

When did the US launch cruise missiles over Iranian territory?

This also might be Iran / IRG trying to sink the nuke deal by forcing a US response so Iran can back out of the deal while trying to blame the US.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Well...

Right off hand, I'd say bad things will begin to occur.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

One: The carrier is not sailing by itself. ...and I venture to guess that there were armed airplanes, and helicopters watching.

Two: Do you honestly think that at least one of those other ships didn't have those little boats bore-sighted?

Three: Invincible? Maybe not, but they're a damn sight closer to it than those little boats are...as are those other ships in the BG.

Four: American's are funny? Damn right we are. So, too, are folks who think those boats wouldn't have died in the relative blink of an eye, had they been stupid enough to attack a carrier battle group.

It's a good thing that cooler heads prevailed and nothing bad happened.

I suspect the US ships knew it was a live fire exercise. As it's a wise thing to announce these things so there's no possibility of a misunderstanding.

No harm, no foul.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

from what I read, that's what they did, they announced then fired in the direction Away from the Carrier and other Ships. Still an a pretty stupid thing to do.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I get what you are saying, but that is a natural choke-point, ships might be limited in how they navigate the strait. It's would be the place to attack as you block things up pretty well.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join