It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, this is how a Milennial sees a solution to the "Living Wage" issue....

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
I've been a rice eater my whole life. But 400 pounds? How long does it actually take to cycle through that? How many mouths?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChuckNasty
Our company is in need of labor. You'd make enough to feed your fam if yer willing. Comes will many downfalls.

Edit: A NonUnion Millwright will be your new trade if you decide to venture into what is currently building Merika.

It seems college has been the big craze and colleges have jumped on the bandwagon with easy degrees with little need in the labor force. People have forgot about trade skills, and a few weeks ago a plummer came to my house and charged $240 per hour, not bad. I think that beats minimum wage...lol

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It's not that they can't afford it. It's that it cuts into their bottom lines. Why should they make 1 billion when they can make 20 billion?

It's sickening... especially thinking about how the minimum wage employee is their key to making that 20 billion.

Having heard what is preached at a local company.. An employee doing nothing for an hour will cost the company $9000.

That employee makes maybe 15 an hour....but how would they feel when being told this?

Note: The company doesn't hire anyone at the federal minimum wage.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I've been a rice eater my whole life. But 400 pounds? How long does it actually take to cycle through that? How many mouths?

Asian wife, two 1/2 Asian teen boys about a week...lol I would say about 16 months..hehe. I keep it in a very dry and cool place too.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

In an everyday situation - 100 lbs a month for a fam of 4 as a primary staple

Edit: The primary staple figure I posted was that of a very limited meat one as well. 100lbs a month for a fam is that you have very little more to contribute to the daily caloric intake.

We ate rice, by the bowl full, at every freakin meal possible. Our main caloric intake was rice. 100 lbs a month is still my base when it comes to eating it for every meal. Grew up dirt poor in the south.
edit on 30-12-2015 by ChuckNasty because: as above.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

A pound each a week. Yeah, I can see that.
I have a problem with bugs. How the hell do they get through the plastic?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

That there is one rice burning family..lol

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

The eggs are already in the rice...hehe Its the temp of where the rice is stored I think reacts them. If you freeze your rice for a week all eggs are dead, also you can vacuum pack the rice. I live in the north West and I yet to see a bug in my rice. Also, you can still eat the rice, the bugs do nothing to it and will float up to be removed when you put the rice in the water.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

That there is one rice burning family..lol

Asian-mixed household as well.

Kids go through rice like its...well, rice lol.

Breakfast - the ricecooker is raped.

Lunch - rice

Dinner - Rice with extra rice cooked

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Also, you can still eat the rice, the bugs do nothing to it and will float up to be removed when you put the rice in the water.

What? You put the rice in the water? That's ass backwards!

They don't really bother me much, really. But they do eat some. Leave dust in the bottom of the container.

edit on 12/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

A pound each a week. Yeah, I can see that.

Oxygen scrubbers might solve that issue.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yeah, my bother has 2 kids and a Thai wife. But I can tell you he doesn't need 180kg of rice on hand.

Either way, its not like me to be a mod wannabee, but could we get back on subject here?

It has something to do with the millennial solution to the minimum wage in the US... It has nothing to do with frickin rice! Do another thread if your issue is with bloody rice, like duuuude, seriously!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Yeah, my bother has 2 kids and a Thai wife. But I can tell you he doesn't need 180kg of rice on hand.

Either way, its not like me to be a mod wannabee, but could we get back on subject here?

It has something to do with the millennial solution to the minimum wage in the US... It has nothing to do with frickin rice! Do another thread if your issue is with bloody rice, like duuuude, seriously!!!!

Was just pointing out how this millennial can solute his/her own food issue.

Wage has nothing to do with it.

If wage is an issue, PM some skills you currently have. I can assist you if the skills are right

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ChuckNasty

I can earn 12 hundred clear a week, without any skills needed. no bags of bug infested rice are required.

No offence... like seriously, no offence.

But if the US wasn't so blindly obsessed with 'capitalism', then it'd probably be the same over there.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

As production increases, and the need for people was productive workers decreases, the only thing keeping the common man from not needing to exist is... well, nothing. Inequity will surely demand a reduction in population.
e.g. it only takes 1 billion people, in 25 years, to do the work of 2 billion people currently. Automated processes, and machines/robots, pick up the slack. in 25 years time, if CEOs are earning the money that would have gone to those billion workers, instead of it being passed down the lines, those people will simply cease to exist. And the reduction in population will be done by hard poverty.

The Luddites used the same argument at the start of the industrial revolution - actually in some form or another the argument has probably been around since the invention of the wheel, yet all the time the population continues to grow.....

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Kind of funny how American corporations can apparently afford to invest so heavily in the Australian economy, which has a minimum wage of $20.50 (or $15 US).

Yet these same corporations carry on and moan about how they simply couldn't afford to pay more than the $7.25 minimum for the citizens of there own country... Obviously these corporations are just a bunch of freeloading opportunists and could afford to pay double what there currently paying in minimum wages.

A hard days work, always deserves a fair days pay... no matter what you do for a living!

Just thought i would let you know as a fellow Aussie that our ''national'' minimum wage as of July 1st 2015 is $17.29,which works out to about $12.60 US
edit on 30-12-2015 by DMC71 because: fix mistake

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DMC71

Kind of funny how American corporations can apparently afford to invest so heavily in the Australian economy, which has a minimum wage of $20.50 (or $15 US).

Yet these same corporations carry on and moan about how they simply couldn't afford to pay more than the $7.25 minimum for the citizens of there own country... Obviously these corporations are just a bunch of freeloading opportunists and could afford to pay double what there currently paying in minimum wages.

A hard days work, always deserves a fair days pay... no matter what you do for a living!

Just thought i would let you know as a fellow Aussie that our ''national'' minimum wage as of July 1st 2015 is $17.29,which works out to about $12.60 US

That's full time employment though... which means you get 4 weeks holidays every year, 10 days sick leave and are guaranteed to get payed for 38 hours a week, even if the work isn't there. You also can't be fired without at least 3 written warnings.

Though, minimum 'causal' employment, without all the entitlements (just like in the US) is $20.50AU an hour, or $15US an hour.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DMC71

That's full time employment though... which means you get 4 weeks holidays every year, 10 days sick leave and are guaranteed to get payed for 38 hours a week, even if the work isn't there. You also can't be fired without at least 3 written warnings.

Though, minimum 'causal' employment, without all the entitlements (just like in the US) is $20.50AU an hour, or $15US an hour.

My understanding (from co workers in Australia, or ex pats now back in the UK) is that the cost of living in Australia can be significantly higher than in other 'westernised' countries - I'll assume that's the case as they have the experience of travelling to America and or the UK, whereas I've never been to Australia. If that is the case then doesn't it account for why the minimum is higher in Australia?

ETA Actually, this may help, although not really sure how Aberdeen (Scotland) works out so expensive....

www.expatistan.com...

edit on 30-12-2015 by uncommitted because: whoops

edit on 30-12-2015 by uncommitted because: As per ETA

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Luxury items definitely cost more in Australia. Like a pair of Nike airs or an iphone, for example... But you can get all that stuff on Ebay fairly cheap.

I'm still yet to be shown evidence that the cost of basic living is all that much more here though.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I'm still yet to be shown evidence that the cost of basic living is all that much more here though.

Australia is the 5th highest country in the world, the United States is 25th.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join