It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas yanks funds from fraud-plagued Planned Parenthood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Looks like The State of Texas has targeted PlannedParenthood by "defunding" more of PP's questionable "services".

Now it's the HIV/AIDS program.

Texas is cutting off $600,000.

The story mentions a little know fact that claims PP paid a huge fine for corruption in 2013.

I'm sure other more credible and honest organizations will pick up the slack and avoid a major panic attack among the populations serviced by PP.

I guess PP won't be donating as much to local democrats this upcoming year either

Your Fired !!

The state notified Planned Parenthood in early December that it will not be receiving $600,000 in funds for HIV/AIDS prevention program.

The Texas Tribune reported the Department of Health Services notified PP that a contract would not be renewed for 2016.

The same story failed to note that PP paid $4.3 million in 2013 in a court settlement over allegations of Medicaid fraud.

It's WAR !!!

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And then they are going to wonder why their hiv/aids numbers are going to go up, which will still cost the state money...

So good thing they made this political statement!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

But But But

What about the fraud settlement?

What about competition?

Panic Attack !!!

Error Detection !!!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
For "the record"

Friday, August 16, 2013 -- Planned Parenthood Pays $4.3 Million To Settle Allegations Of Unnecessary Medical Care

The government alleges that between 2003 and 2009, Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast billed and was paid by government programs, Texas Medicaid, Title XX, and the Women’s Health Program, for certain items and services related to birth control counseling, STD testing and contraceptives when such items and services were either not medically necessary, not medically indicated or not actually provided. Title XX is funded by the federal government while Texas Medicaid and the Women’s Health Program are funded jointly by the federal government and the State of Texas.

Of the $4.3 million settlement, the federal government will receive $3,594,604 and the State of Texas will receive $705,396. The settlement resolves a False Claims Act lawsuit filed in the Eastern District of Texas by Karen Reynolds, a former employee of Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast. The whistleblower or qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act permit the relator to obtain a portion of the proceeds obtained by the government. As part of today’s resolution, Reynolds will receive $1,247,000.

They are an honest and wholesome company.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

What about it? They paid for it...
What does aids/hiv prevention have to do with it?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Good to know people are in favor of corruption.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Umm.. I got a letter in the mail last week, it seems that the company that services the mortgage on the house that the city still claims I own is trying to settle out of court wanting to know if I want to be part of the class action and an award if the court accepts the settlement....
It seems that the company is accused of setting up insurance on the houses if the owners let is laspe and charging them for the premiums, all of which is legal. But well, the premiums were inflated and the company got kickbacks.....or at least that's what the plaintiffs were alleging. But, this is what is written within this letter:

All Defendants expressly deny Plaintiffs' allegations and asser that all their actions have been fully autorized under the mortgage instruments and by law. The also deny that they did anything wrong. There has been no court decision on the marits of this case and no finding that Defendants committed any wrongdoing"

And it goes on to say that their was a settlement because both parties agree to a settlement to avoid court costs and risk of a trial.
I would propose, no, I am pretty sure, that the settlement concerning the planned parenthood case also has no bearing as to weather or not planned parenthood had done anything illegal.. since no court found them guilty of anything and they didn't admit to any wrongdoing.

as far as weather or not tx gets away with dropping the funding for the aids/hiv program, well, maybe they will, maybe they won't. Louisiana tried to use that court settlement as justification for dropping funding for Planned Parenthood and it didn't work out too well for them. Matter of fact, it hasn't worked out well for most, if not all the states that have tried to drop funding.

But, well, I don't think it's just planned parenthood under attack. Those faith based crisis pregnancy centers that are probably what tx and other conservative states are counting on to handle the patients from planned parenthood have lost a battle also.

Crisis pregnancy centers in California are not having much luck so far stopping a new law that they argue violates their free speech rights by forcing them to promote abortion.

A federal judge in Sacramento on Monday night upheld Assembly Bill 775, which requires any licensed facility providing pregnancy-related services to post a sign in its waiting area alerting visitors to California’s free and low-cost public programs for family planning, prenatal care and abortion. This follows a similar ruling in another lawsuit last week by a federal judge in Oakland.

The law is aimed at crisis pregnancy centers, faith-based organizations that cropped up as alternatives to abortion providers and counsel women to carry their pregnancies to term. Supporters of AB 775 – including its authors, Democratic Assembly members David Chiu of San Francisco and Autumn Burke of Marina Del Rey – argue that they pose a threat to public health by providing incomplete medical information early in women’s pregnancies.

Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

Now if we could only get those religiously funded hospitals to let pregnant women know that if they run into complications while in them that well....they're not gonna intervene till the baby's heart stops beating, even if you risk infection and death.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Good to know people are in favor of corruption.

So one clinic out of approx. 700 breaks the law and you announce the entire organization is corrupt huh???

imagine if you applied the same reasoning honestly across all organizations.

My guess is PP will be fine. It's only Texas anyway.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

And then they are going to wonder why their hiv/aids numbers are going to go up, which will still cost the state money...

So good thing they made this political statement!

Is PP the only group that does this stuff? Maybe new groups should take over and do it right.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Texas and Oklahoma have been going against the PC crowd and the grain of the feds for the last couple of years. Oklahoma has really been sticking it to the PC crowd. Call everyone red necks or bible thumpers as far as I am concerned good for both states.

Guess what... Oklahoma did it anyway.

Oklahoma recently passed a law in the state to incarcerate all illegal immigrants and ship them back to where they came from unless they want to get a green card and become an American citizen. They mostly all scattered. HB1804. This was against the advice of the Federal Government, and the ACLU, they said it would be a mistake.

Just this month, the state has voted and passed a law that ALL drivers' license exams will be printed in English and only English and no other language. They have been called racist for doing this, but the fact is that ALL of the road signs are in English only. If you want to drive in Oklahoma , you must read and write English. Really simple.

Just a few things that have been going on. Mean old Texas and Oklahoma ! I guess we will need road signs in many parts of the states written and posted in English, Spanish, and Arabic in the not to distant future, No ? Not in Oklahoma or Texas I would bet ! (sigh)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Is PP the only group that does this stuff? Maybe new groups should take over and do it right.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just PP that ever breaks the law. No other organizations either public or private would ever do that.

Are you serious???

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

No they are not, I can also promise you they are not the only org to get into some hot water over medical fraud.

I just don't get how defunding the Aids/HIV portion does anything about that.

Cute strawman that had nothing to do with what I said, not very surprising to see a deflection rather than addressing what I asked.

I am not pro fraud, but hardly see the connection here.
Obvious political statement is all, one that IMO is going to bit them in the butt when the state has to fork out more money for the increase in cases of Aids/HIV.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

ya maybe those christian based crisis pregnancy centers can take it over right?? that way, the sinners can get a good dose of contempt with their testing!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks, glad you could get that rant in that has little to do with the topic.

Will get you the stars you are looking for though.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks, glad you could get that rant in that has little to do with the topic.

Will get you the stars you are looking for though.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This thread is ridiculous. Texas is only interested in maintaining a huge population of poor, uneducated workers and consumers that won't question anything they do.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Yeah, I'm sure it's just PP that ever breaks the law. No other organizations either public or private would ever do that.

Are you serious???

When I said "this stuff" I was referring to their services..hehe If PP went away would that be the end to all women choice freedoms, social services etc...lol

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

When I said "this stuff" I was referring to their services..hehe If PP went away would that be the end to all women choice freedoms, social services etc...lol

Oh. lol. Yeah, I guess that makes more sense.

It wouldn't end it but it would make a massive hardship on many of them. Especially since PP supports women who are poor and lack the means to pay for private care, lack transportation, education, resources, etc.

If they were suddenly gone it would be a nightmare in many ways. Which is why I think it's crazy that so many people think it's a good idea to shut them down. I don't think they've considered the impact that would have. Especially if done quickly and without having other alternatives for their clients. But I don't think they think ahead very far and just want the thrill of punishing an organization they don't like.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
well, louisana seemed to have a problem finding family planning providers in the state that would serve the poor....

In response, the state submitted a list of 2,010 other providers these patients could patronize. Except this was not actually a list of family-planning practitioners; it was a list of all Medicaid-enrolled providers — including audiologists, ophthalmologists, radiologists, nursing homes and, yes, dentists. (As a cheeky Mother Jones writer observed: “They know ‘vagina dentata’ is a myth, right?”)

www.washingtonpost.com...

the judge rejected their list and made them come up with a more reliable list. that list consisted of 29 providers.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I'm guessing because people don't feel that they're personally at risk for HIV/AIDS, it's fun to use any excuse they can to help the disease spread among the population. You know, cuz human suffering and massive resultant spending on healthcare is fun and all. Snipping idiots. I wonder if they paid any attention to the massive increase in HIV infections in rural Indiana when they defunded PP there. They're sure paying the price now. Short-sighted, empathy lacking, prevention-abhorring, money-wasting scum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join