It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else contemplating their own mortality?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Man up and stop thinking about it and just live your life the way you want.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Man up and stop thinking about it and just live your life the way you want.

I do live my life but just wanted to share the fact that sometimes it hits home harder than others.

How do you deal with the threat of your own mortality?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I have lived my life 99.99% without envy, hate, or greed. I trust the ascended masters and have no fear. I have burial, cremation, will all my worldly goods set to go to the homeless, with few exceptions. All is taken care of.

Bring it.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

I have lived my life 99.99% without envy, hate, or greed. I trust the ascended masters and have no fear. I have burial, cremation, will all my worldly goods set to go to the homeless, with few exceptions. All is taken care of.

Bring it.

That is a good perspective, may I ask if your worldly goods are worth giving away?

I have nothing that could be deemed worthy in a financial sense but a big shout out to you sir.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Seems to be something most of us ponder when we turn 40. My we Gran and Grandpa made it to 90, and they smoked and drank all there days. My point is when your time is up that's it, wether it's down to a genetic predisposition to one illness or disease, or accident, seem to me the best approach is to take each day as if it's a gift and just get on with life rather than wondering when or how we will die.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirGuese

originally posted by: nonspecific
It seems that the older we get the more people die

The older you get the closer you are to death.

If I was 40 I'd be contemplating death too. realistically you only have at most 20 years of life. These days hardly anyone makes it to 60

More people in the UK live past 60 than don't. So many people live to old age in the UK that it's slowly creating a void in the available care provided by their national health service.

The average life expectancy for a male in the UK is 81.5 years.

Male life expectancy of only 60 years would be average in ...Turkmenistan.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

originally posted by: SirGuese

originally posted by: nonspecific
It seems that the older we get the more people die

The older you get the closer you are to death.

If I was 40 I'd be contemplating death too. realistically you only have at most 20 years of life. These days hardly anyone makes it to 60

More people in the UK live past 60 than don't. So many people live to old age in the UK that it's slowly creating a void in the available care provided by their national health service.

The average life expectancy for a male in the UK is 81.5 years.

Male life expectancy of only 60 years would be average in ...Turkmenistan.

It is no longer 1856, we live long here...

Not Lemmy though he died at 70 but he was a drug taking beer drinking hard core mofo...

Had he took it easy he may have lived longer...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'm actually intensely curious about death, and I'm currently writing a novel with a theme surrounding the ownership of death.

You're right, it's no longer 1856, so why are you scared of death now? Are you more scared of death, or, are you regretting decisions made in the past? If you don't mind answering, I would like to hear it, especially from a mans perspective.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Nonspecific, All animals, mammals, insects, insert life form here, have a defence system to avoid pain, being killed, eaten etc. If you didn't worry or think about it, your life would be meaningless.

No one ever knows how long they'll live and life choices don't matter at all (obviously if you run in front of a bus then...) as my gf's nan smoked from 15 to 90 and didn't die until she was 95. Other seemingly healthy people such as sports people recently in the news, can drop down without warning.

As someone else has said, enjoy what you have while you're here.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Had he took it easy he may have lived longer...

Or died of boredom.
Don't worry about things you can't control , enjoy life while you have it because when you don't it won't matter.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

No One Here Gets Out Alive. Remember that.

Thinking about death is counterproductive. Live and enjoy life.

So that on the day that death comes to see you. You can greet him like an old friend with no regrets.
edit on 29-12-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Honestly I've been on the chopping block twice in my life the first time I was to young to remember it was from the a type of croup called epiglottis the second was more recently when a drunk knocked me off my motorcycle but thank the stars it was right in front of the hospital and during the next 18 months of not being able to get out of bed I had all types of thoughts run through my head about life and realized that no matter what I only control a small part of my life and when my time is up there is nothing I can do so now I enjoy whatever life throws at me.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I'm actually intensely curious about death, and I'm currently writing a novel with a theme surrounding the ownership of death.

You're right, it's no longer 1856, so why are you scared of death now? Are you more scared of death, or, are you regretting decisions made in the past? If you don't mind answering, I would like to hear it, especially from a mans perspective.

An interesting question and one that my OP was looking for.

I am #ing scared right now, I know that you cannot say that word on ATS but no lie I am scared of dying.

Not for me I am quite happy to no longer have to deal with this but there is so much left to do, So many people need me to do things for them, I do not wish for my son to need me and not be there. Who will cook for mrsnonspecific? who will guide my son on his quest for life? how will the people that relay on me cope if I am no longer there?

The simple answer is that they will, it may be different but they will survive without me.

And that is what worries me, when I am dead it will make little difference, some people may be sad but ultimately it will be the same.

This makes me sad.

Se my sad face and my own issues with death here....

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
How old would You be if You didn't know how old You were?

Each 'birth' has a 'death' attached.

"What You do might be insignificant but it is important that You do"... Mohandas Mahatma Gandhi

You've 'died' a hundred times already.. That skinsuit You're now wearing is NOT the same one You went to sleep in..

Get "dynamic" that stuff reads as 'static'..

namaste

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
How old would You be if You didn't know how old You were?

Each 'birth' has a 'death' attached.

"What You do might be insignificant but it is important that You do"... Mohandas Mahatma Gandhi

You've 'died' a hundred times already.. That skinsuit You're now wearing is NOT the same one You went to sleep in..

Get "dynamic" that stuff reads as 'static'..

namaste

I have no idea what this means although it seems to be pretty cool.

can you explain what this should mean please?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Almost 40 you say..

Well, to sum it all up. You probably have

30 more summers left on this earth. Use them wisely.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChuckNasty

Almost 40 you say..

Well, to sum it all up. You probably have

30 more summers left on this earth. Use them wisely.

Welll given that I have wasted the first 40 it would be unlikely that I would make good use of the remainder......

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

We are all immortal. Don't mistake change for an end.

We came from starstuff and will be again.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I've been dwelling on our common mortality since my father informed me that we all die, one dark, cold night when I was 4 or so... sometimes I've wondered how people can continue being mad at little things and generally being a-holes when everything could end at any minute... but then, many people are a-holes exactly because they are scared.. of death... losing loved ones and themselves.

But being scared is unbecoming and might well be worse than death, itself, actually. That old saying "A coward dies a thousand deaths" comes to mind.

Being an agnostic atheist, living in a couple haunted homes was a bit of a comfort as it cemented the knowledge we likely continue... though some might not be happy about continuing, but darn, being around for most of my loved one's deaths drives home the hellish indignity of age and disease and that life itself isn't always something to be hoped for... it's the content.. .your own content, anyway... not expectations held by others as to how you should live, is what I mean.

Anyway, it's likely better to confront and give some thought to death, in general, but don't freak out and at least put on a brave face... for the rest of us.

Welcome to the darkness, kiddo... we're in the back, smoking and dressed in black... heh.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

The older I get... the younger I feel. Strange concept I know but it's true. You know that saying 'you are as young as you feel', well... think it, be it.

Seriously... I don't feel older than I was 10 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join