It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25% of Donald Trump’s political spending goes to his own companies.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So the Big Wig had been funnelling money into his own businesses and assets it seems.

Far from illegal, I guess, but hardly ethical behaviour when those donors would have expected that money to fund his campaign trail and not add to his vast wealth.

"It's very possible that I could be the first presidential candidate to run and make money on it," Donald Trump told Fortune in 2000, during his first abortive run for president.

He was referring to a $1 million motivational speaking deal he got from Tony Robbins that he timed to coincide with his campaign stops.

Then, he didn't dominate the headlines—apparently the Clinton-Bush-Gore psychodrama was more compelling—and Trump's greatest accomplishment was winning the Reform party nomination in California with a scant 15,311 votes. (His bon mots haven't changed much—Fortune refers to "his usual critiques of Pat Buchanan ('a Hitler lover'), Bill Bradley ('a total disaster'), George W. Bush ('no Einstein'), Fidel Castro ('a bad guy'), North Korea ('run by some very bad people'), and Russia ('totally mixed up').")

This time around, as the leading candidate for the Republican nomination, he operates on a more rarified and lucrative plane: Trump's companies have already earned $1.4 million from his campaign.

Hardly breaking news, but an interesting read at least.

This is almost as bad as lobbying, PACS and Bill bulking if you ask me...

And of course, shows that his campaign may not be about Great America, but about fattening his already ghastly oversized wallet.

#MakeAmericaGreatForOnce
Vote for someone who at least appears to give a toss.

qz.com...
edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Forgot Source Link.

edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Sounds like the smart thing to do.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

This has to be one of the least unsuprising things I have seen in a long while.

If I were to be suprised at anything it is the percentage was not higher.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So let me get this straight, a business mogul should have to outsource everything when running for president rather than using his own businesses? If this is the best you can come up with you better get back to digging. This is seriously about as weak of an attempt as I have ever seen.
Hillary takes money from some of the most unethical people on the planet and funnels it through her "charity" and all Trump did is simply uses his own businesses? Wow

edit on 12/29/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Hate the game, not the playa...

I can dig that, butcher. I really can.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
So let me get this straight, a business mogul should have to outsource everything when running for president rather than using his own businesses? If this is the best you can come up with you better get back to digging. This is seriously about as weak of an attempt as I have ever seen.
Hillary takes money from some of the most unethical people on the planet and funnels it through her "charity" and all Trump did is simply uses his own businesses? Wow

Difference between you and me is I won't defend Mrs.Clinton.

So there really was no reason to bring her up unless you want to derail the thread.
edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Hate the game, not the playa...

I can dig that, butcher. I really can.

I did a job as a subcontractor at a Trump building before. Who do you think owned the business that was the general contractor? Donald Trump.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
He's a business man first and foremost, so no major surprises, but interesting none the less.

I never fully understood that without the financial backing, no matter how good a politician you are, it means diddly squat.

Only in the U.S I guess?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If his campaign needs a service (or goods) and that service is provided by a company he owns, I'd expect him to use it. I'd do the same. At least I'd know the cost and know that I'm not getting ripped off. He might actually be able get the service for cost or some marginal fee.

Now, if his company providing the service is, let's say, doubling the price for the service, then that might have some legs.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

It sounds like perfect business sense I agree.

And that is politics is at the end of the day, business.

It may be corrupt but it does make sense.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai
If his campaign needs a service (or goods) and that service is provided by a company he owns, I'd expect him to use it. I'd do the same. At least I'd know the cost and know that I'm not getting ripped off. He might actually be able get the service for cost or some marginal fee.

Now, if his company providing the service is, let's say, doubling the price for the service, then that might have some legs.

That makes more sense.

Thanks for breaking it down for me.

I take back what I said in the OP.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Doesn't Trump fund himself to begin with?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Smart. Better than paying back Big Money donors and foreign dictators with 'special' favors like all the others do when they get elected.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Doesn't Trump fund himself to begin with?

Yes, but I think to the OP's point- campaign donations from private parties are being used to purchase goods and services from his companies.

One scenario is that Trump opens his fat, George Costanza wallet and buys some hats to give away (just for the sake of a simple example).

Another scenario is doners contribute to an FEC-regulated campaign finance account and that account is used to purchase the hats from one of his privately held companies.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If elected president, on his presidential vacations maybe he will stay at trump owned hotels and cut the taxpayers a sweet deal on the room.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: newWorldSamurai
I wasn't aware trump took donations. I guess I'll look it up now.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Why not support your own employees if you can. I don't see any problem with Trump doing this.

From what I get, Trump uses a lot of his own money or his own corporate moneys to campaign.
edit on 29-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
and this is why he would make a great president,he knows how to get a job done without breaking the bank to do it.

I don`t think we`ll be seeing headlines like this if trump is president:

Over $5 Billion and Counting for Obamacare Websites

www.thefiscaltimes.com...

if you can do the job with existing infrastructure and employees, why spend more to hire outside contractors?

you don`t get to be as rich as trump is by wasting money and resources and the one thing that we can all agree on is that the government wastes too much money and too many resources.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You all crack me up. Same people who have been crying foul for years over Halliburton, think this is fine. What if he were elected President? Still OK, since it's Trump rather than Dick Cheney? Shouldn't he be using small businesses rather than his own empire?

IS this not the exact type of behavior his supporters are railing against? Congress looking out for their own interests? Hilarious. Oh it's fine because it's the Donald.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Forget it Charlie.

Trump could kill kittens on TV and come out as a pedophile and the Trumpeters will still cheer him on.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join