It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A racist black professor lectures all white people on how racist they are.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: forkedtongue

Today, some are free to insult others without threat of retaliation.

It is one of the biggest problems in western culture.

It's one of the biggest benefits of western culture. Try insulting Islam in Saudi Arabia.

I agree, but insult a rednecks momma in my neck of the woods.

No they wont string you up, but they will kick your ass.

I dont like to use such extreme examples to showcase such things as insults though, because it doesnt show a clear comparisson.

Most will just dismiss it out of hand because it is apples to oranges.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Clearly you missed the
and the at the end, but being offended and arguing with internet strangers cause you feel powerless is the IN thing right now. Lmao

Yep, that's pretty easy to see here.

You're not powerless though.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

The poor, victimized minority IS the new PC. If I only had a son, you would know this.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Not many here have bothered to actually read the letter from Dr. Yancy.

I myself did, and while I hear what he is saying, he is speaking too generally and vaguely, and buying into far too much of the ratified air of the academic ivory tower.

All White people are not racist. Such absolutes are meaningless.

I agree.

I find mirthful's and pterdine's takes on it interesting.

link   

The poor, victimized minority IS the new PC. If I only had a son, you would know this.

That really doesn't clarify how the professor is being politically correct.

Can you explain?
edit on 12Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:09:13 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I cannot believe you have turned comment said in jest and jokes into a philosophical conversation if hitting people is justified because of speech, well it is and wether you agree or disagree it happens all the time used to not be looked at the same way, so it is happening less now. However the pacification of society is not what I want, I want people who will stand up for what they believe wether that's there dignity and integrity our culture and nation, as I've said repeatedly would I punch this man directly for this, no I wouldn't I would engage him with escalation rhetoric and see where that goes, however now we have turned this into a debate on wether violence is ever ok.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Try opening a Christian Church in Saudi Arabia, try opening any kind of human rights organization in SA. ... Say, isn't Saudi Arabia the head of Human Rights in THE United Nations, who is consequently an ally to AMERICA? Oh Dear, This could get embarassing.. The biggest fricking booboo in Western Culture today is giving Rights to a blatant Rights Abusive Nations that's only been in existance since 1971. Who gave them this Priveleged Seat and WHY?!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Yep. Personal, live interaction is far, far different than internet posturing that we see around here.

(If you didn't read the guy's piece in the Times at that link, you should. He's got his head up Academia's Wazoo, sure ... but you might be surprised how much you'd agree with a few of his actual points.)

Take it easy and Happy 2016 if we don't talk again before that.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Yep. Personal, live interaction is far, far different than internet posturing that we see around here.

(If you didn't read the guy's piece in the Times at that link, you should. He's got his head up Academia's Wazoo, sure ... but you might be surprised how much you'd agree with a few of his actual points.)

Take it easy and Happy 2016 if we don't talk again before that.

I did see some of the merits in what he said.

It is done through hyperbole though, which I just dont like.

I think it diminishes the value of some of the points he made, and is clearly meant to be divisive.

In 2016, I plan to help be the change I want to see in the world.

I wish to be inclusive not divisive.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Holocaust denial, for example, is illegal in many European states. In other words, it is illegal to express a certain idea, and if it is expressed, one is subject to retaliation from an authority who determines what can or cannot be said. The problem is, if these ideas cannot be expressed, or people are unwilling to express them, we forget our justifications on why they were wrong or stupid in the first place.

My only point is that free expression, no matter how ludicrous or insulting, should be fostered and unconstrained by fears of violence and retaliation.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

In 2016, I plan to help be the change I want to see in the world.

I wish to be inclusive not divisive.

I see my instincts were correct.

Amen; we've had enough division.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I cannot believe you have turned comment said in jest and jokes into a philosophical conversation if hitting people is justified because of speech, well it is and wether you agree or disagree it happens all the time used to not be looked at the same way, so it is happening less now. However the pacification of society is not what I want, I want people who will stand up for what they believe wether that's there dignity and integrity our culture and nation, as I've said repeatedly would I punch this man directly for this, no I wouldn't I would engage him with escalation rhetoric and see where that goes, however now we have turned this into a debate on wether violence is ever ok.

Do you believe in free speech?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Clearly you missed the
and the at the end, but being offended and arguing with internet strangers cause you feel powerless is the IN thing right now. Lmao

Yep, that's pretty easy to see here.

You're not powerless though.

Why don't you add some substace? I can chage words and talk in circles.

Are you sure you didn't misspell your name gripin'?

Watching a thread for disagreements and fighting with others, believing your in some intellectual debate, is weak.

What would you do to stop the unemployability of minorities and whites who don't know how to succeed in life?

I threw down some good ideas, you sound stuck in the manufactured race issues and not the reality of the reason they ate not being hired.

I had to swallow my pride, dress and talk like a nerd and do everything every other person did.

Your time on ats or stars aquired are irrelevant. You were making stars while I was making money. I wasn't sarcastically asking if you are new to ats, I was talking about life.

If anything it shows the amount of time you don't work.

Ooooh, impressive. Stop with the personal attacks and try to add to the convo.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Holocaust denial, for example, is illegal in many European states. In other words, it is illegal to express a certain idea, and if it is expressed, one is subject to retaliation from an authority who determines what can or cannot be said. The problem is, if these ideas cannot be expressed, or people are unwilling to express them, we forget our justifications on why they were wrong or stupid in the first place.

My only point is that free expression, no matter how ludicrous or insulting, should be fostered and unconstrained by fears of violence and retaliation.

Always the persistent libertarian.

You are testament to what true liberty could bring to us all.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You are talking about a specific circumstance where two agree to put up their dukes..still violent.

As for the subject at hand, white privilege is more about being treated as we all should.

I have made friends recently with a fellow audiophile now living in Canada, formerly in California. He is in the medical profession and drives a nice car, he was amazed and blown away after moving to Canada..why, because the police here did not pull him over on a weekly or daily basis. In Cali they would pull him over for nothing..for being black in a nice car, they ask for regi's and licence, proceed to ask who's car it was even though it says on the regi's..lol. Once settled in Canada he says I would be driving and see a cop coming in the opposing lane and always expected to see the cops kick a u turn and pull him over..but in a year it just hasn't happened, well once he said..saw the lights behind him, thought oh no, expecting the usual, the cop asked if he knew why he was being pulled over..he says no, cop says your tailight is busted, my friend asks permission to get out and look..cop says of course..lol, just letting you know to get it fixed and have a nice day.
His one and only interaction..I think he is pretty happy here, it opened my eyes a little bit, not that I am blind to it, but do not live in the U.S. to see it.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
A racist black professor lectures all white people on how racist they are.

If there is an annual award on ATS for the biggest race-baiting OP title...I think you just won 2015..squeeked it in just under the wire and you had some pretty stiff competition...congrats!

originally posted by: TheBulk What he seems to be saying is that white people are lesser than all other humans because we carry a defect known as "racism". He of course (in his own mind) has no such defects, because as a black man he is superior. Forget the fact hes broadly generalizing and shaming an entire group of people.

He is saying nothing remotely of the sort. He spent a tonnage of time acknowledging his own faults and simply asked that everyone do the same.

edit on 28-12-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Yes of course and you know that, but that's not what I am talking about. I am not talking about an institutionalized position of authoritarian power, I am saying if you spout hate speech directly towards me escalation can be expected and perhaps even a punch in the mouth. Meh

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In my experience , alot of educated black people have changed the definition of the word racist to somehow relate to dominant power and subjecting a different group of people ridicule/subordination, not judging someone by their skin colour. Many activists have warped the meaning to relate to slavery, from stories they heard of as a child or read in a book.
I have seen multiple times in racism debates very week educated black men and women genuinely believe they cannot/ do not have the capability to be racist as they don't possess a higher class power.

It is ignorance stemming from hatred from family members . To think one can't be racist because of historical events is very worrying and potentially dangerous.

Pure and simple we are all racist in nature (feel free to pretend not to be). We have been trained to profile people naturally (survival mechanism) and socially (to profile appearances). You cannot describe someone accurately without acknowledging the skin colour, otherwise you would be a terrible eye witness.

Just don't judge them assuming you know the person cos of the culture you have associated with them. Skin is irrelevant, so is events occurring before you were born.

Judge someone by where they live....not the skin..lol.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good olde fashioned race debate.
Your objective and rational thinking sickens me...

edit on 28-12-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Those are tiny little differences in the grand scale of the uninverse.

Humans think so small. We seem to think these little tiny differences are so unique. To an alien species, we'd pretty much be the same.

Cats and dogs have unique differences, and they probably seem a lot greater to the cats and dogs...we lump them pretty much all together though.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join