It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Depressing Songs Ever Composed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Ho ho ho!

Now I have been squeezing my grey spongy matter to ascertain the most depressing music I have heard. There are a number of contenders. John Cale's "Music For A New Society" is perhaps the most desperate of albums. Wow, what an emotional trip that is. However, I will save John's album for another day as it demands a full thread of its own.

Ok, my two picks of the suicidal pops are David Ackles' "His Name is Andrew", though I have decided to post the British Folk Singer Martin Carthy's version. The original will be beyond your endurance, seriously, and I don't want to be responsible for any life ending scenarios, lol.

My 2nd choice is Lou Reed's "Caroline Says II". Wow, this song is mighty bleak. Thanks Lou for this disillusioning delve into domestic tyranny (it is actually beautifully poignant). If you have any dismal offerings I would like to hear them. Thanks pop pickers (I love that expression, it makes me laugh at its cheesiness, like Harry Enfield and his mate Paul Whitehouse doing the cheesy djs).

"His name is Andrew, he works at the canning factory..."

"Caroline says as she gets up from the floor, "Why is it that you beat me? It isn't any fun...""

Happy new year, ho ho ho!

edit on 28-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Obviously, you can't go past Johnny Cash's song 'Hurt'... If we are talking depressing songs.

Then maybe Powderfinger 'These days'.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Wires by athlete.. its a song about his baby being in hospital.. anyone with children will leave a lump in your throat..

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Thank you. I had not heard the Powderfinger track before. It's good. Yes, that Johnny Cash song is a work of genius. I love him. I love his sincerity. Even though he had the super stardom he kept it real right to the very end.

That expression "Powderfinger" as a band name? I wonder if they got it from Neil Young's song "Powderfinger"? That song is actually a good candidate for a thread like this. It is about a crazy red neck hill billy kid who starts shooting up a government boat coming up the river and gets blasted away. Neil did a good job on this track. It is like a movie the way the listener can visualise to this song.

I like both your quotes in your signature. Hunter Thompson, what a guy. Apt that he should be mentioned. He blew his own head off with a gun in his study because he did not like the idea of getting old. He had come to the point of utter desolation. Wow, another is Bob Dylan's epic "Desolation Row". I will not post that as don't want to impose too much on the thread. Kind of hoping others can turn me on to some profound musical desolation!

I like this kind of music very much. It is so real and explores the less popular side of human mood that people don't talk about so much. I am very open with myself and others about mood. Hiding one's feelings because of some silly notion of shame or embarrassment can lead to dangerous consequences. Big UP
to the soul adventurers.

edit on 28-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Wires by athlete.. its a song about his baby being in hospital.. anyone with children will leave a lump in your throat..

This one?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Norwegian band Midnight Choir - Snow in Berlin

Buckcherry - Check your head

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: Misterlondon

This one?

Yes that it.. Thanks. .

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Good choices. I like John Cale and Lou Reed, and in fact, just listened to Cale's album "HoboSapiens" earlier.
'Things' is a great song.

As for depressing, Joy Division does it for me.
'Decades' and 'Transmission' are both extremely dark. Bleak and hopeless. I love it.

Camera Obscura's song 'James' is extremely sad and depressing.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Just triggered something that Jesus said about hating the world and being prepared for it to treat you like dirt. How can it be anything better than that really? Look at the state of it all and the lot we all have; even the multi billionaire can not buy off Mr Grim in the finish or save his or her self from the pain of bereavement and loss. So, if life slaps or kisses whichever cheek of the face of our emotions, at best it is a torturer and redeemer.

The Blues is the music wailing of human emotional torture!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I'd never actually admit it in real life... but this one always puts a tear in my eye on one of them dark lonely nights, when reminiscing about the past.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Pretty much anything in a Minor scale is depressing

But what happens when we take a Minor scale song and pitch it to Major scale ?

We get a depressing song which sounds awkwardly happy

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Yes, you are right about Joy Division. They were amazing. Ian Curtis is a sad tragedy. So hopelessly brilliant. His mind and vision absolutely incredible. Hey, puts some more here, as many as you like. I like your taste. For anyone who don't know it Ian hanged himself whilst still a very young man on the cusp of world music success and super stardom. Mr Self Destructive in a desperate struggle with his own survival. His vulnerability is so obvious in the videos you posted. Thanks.

I am listening to every song you guys post.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Eleanor Rigby does it for me . Different version here .

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

This one not only depresses the hell out of me, but creeps me out a bit.......

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone again Naturaly"
Sorry, I'm on my kindle, tough to post a vid of the song.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald can always clear the party out when they overstay their welcome:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald can always clear the party out when they overstay their welcome:

Lol, you got that one right!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Radiohead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join