It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality is real because information is real, and without information solid is not possible at all

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
When people say that reality isn't real it is always based on the philosophical position that solid is real and that informations is. But if we take information to be anything which any character at all or which could be expressed as information then that is more real that solid. Put it this way if reality is a building and information is a plan and whatever is upon the plan is the building then if I rubbed out the plan there would be no building: no solid. I therefore say that like it or not saying that something is information is not an argument against its reality at all.
The argument which people like David Icke state is that because the world is information then it doesn't exist when in fact nothing can exist without something which could be represented as information. I think that the conspiracy theorists have missed the one important point nothing which exists is more real than information.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I suppose it comes down to the fact that the nature of reality is about what assumptions are made and the assumption that what we take to be solid is possible without information is not correct at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Mr.Icke is talking about a World within the World though...

He doesn't think this isn't reality, he is talking about our perception of this reality as how the truth is hidden behind the facade.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

But that other reality being real would be no more or less real than this one and we need to reconcile the idea of real and unreal, when what we are talking about are multiple realities, all real.
edit on 26-12-2015 by simro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: simro

Is it possible however that .....
We are in the midst of a sublime flowering of reality that will align us with the nexus itself. Reality has always been overflowing with dimensions whose essences are immersed in life-force. The complexity of the present time seems to demand an ennobling of our chakras if we are going to survive. Discontinuity is born in the gap where consciousness has been excluded. The quantum matrix is approaching a tipping point. The future will be a magical summoning of understanding. It is in evolving that we are recreated.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

However this would not be proved based on the argument that the reality we walk around in is somehow less real. I as an occultist appreciate the concept of other planes of existence but this does not negate our own, we can be a mental and physical, and spiritual being and we do not need to choose.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Depends on your definition of "real" doesn't it...

Kim Lard-ass-ian is real and tangible...

But is what she promotes reality in a specific meaning of the word?

Or is the Dalai Lama in fact more "real" than the Lard-ass-ians.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I would wish the Dalai Lama to be more real, and he is certainly more interesting.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
At the end of the day what is reality? Who is to say our thoughts aren't a form of matter? Surely they exist if we are thinking them, no?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: simro
When people say that reality isn't real it is always based on the philosophical position that solid is real and that informations is. But if we take information to be anything which any character at all or which could be expressed as information then that is more real that solid. Put it this way if reality is a building and information is a plan and whatever is upon the plan is the building then if I rubbed out the plan there would be no building: no solid. I therefore say that like it or not saying that something is information is not an argument against its reality at all.
The argument which people like David Icke state is that because the world is information then it doesn't exist when in fact nothing can exist without something which could be represented as information. I think that the conspiracy theorists have missed the one important point nothing which exists is more real than information.

I think you wrote your post too fast, but I'll try to respond.

I know what it's like to read something or watch something and it strikes you the wrong way, so you seek a receptive audience to voice some disagreement, rebuttal or consternation. It's more of a venting process than a cooperative one. I've been through it many times. Is that what this is?

In my view, we don't really know what this reality is. We only know we have thoughts. Does that make us real? Maybe. What about hte reality we perceive? Is it real? The earth? The stars at night? The other people we meet? Our family! The other creatures on Earth? It's not more real than our thoughts. We perceive our thoughts to exist inside our material brain, but since everything is a thought we cannot rule out that the brain we think we have is actually a virtual one. Our real brain could conceivably exist outside this (virtual) reality and the reality we think we know is either the product of our real brain or it's fed into our real brain from something else. Why should our material brain be an illusion like this? Idk.

I'm confident the reality which constitutes my thoughts is real. The Earth is real. The people on it are real. All of the creatures are real. The stars at night are real. I believe I exist because I have thoughts and I believe I can't exist alone, so this reality around me is a likely candidate for that which exists outside myself.

The solids we perceive in our reality are actually illusions, insofar as I can tell. Most of an atom is empty space. Matter seems to be energy condensed or a kind of energy which we experience as having shape and mass. Matter can be converted to energy and energy to matter.

I agree that information is what it's all about, but what's it? It's a sort of pattern. Something creates the pattern, a God or incomprehensible forces of nature. It's pattern and also it's something to hold or store that pattern. Something like space/time? Like you say, something exists to enable information to exist. That isn't necessarily mass or solid objects, since those are deceptive interpretations of the energy around us. My computer has a hardrive and ram and some other chips where information is stored. But where is the information of our universe stored?
edit on 12/26/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

From what I understand of scientific pursuits thus far, one can infer the existence of distant things by scientific means, even if one cannot necessarily record them directly. Planets around distant stars are a perfect example of just such an instance.

On a smaller scale, the double slit experiment proves, that indeed, it may be unnecessary, and even unhelpful to observe some things, lest those things appear to change their behaviour based on whether or not they are being observed at the time....

The universe is a strange place indeed.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

By definition, reality is real. If it isn't real, it isn't reality.

What you are, perhaps, referring to is your/our perception of reality. In that case, we are limited in our sensing and conception of the full reality. So our conception is really only a subset of the whole.

None the less, it is knowable (by reduction we can know bits and can bring the knowledge of those disparate bits together to give a cohesive understanding which will allow us to make predictions to determine outcomes).

edit on 26/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Is it possible however that .....
We are in the midst of a sublime flowering of reality that will align us with the nexus itself. Reality has always been overflowing with dimensions whose essences are immersed in life-force. The complexity of the present time seems to demand an ennobling of our chakras if we are going to survive. Discontinuity is born in the gap where consciousness has been excluded. The quantum matrix is approaching a tipping point. The future will be a magical summoning of understanding. It is in evolving that we are recreated.

With all due respect and humor, that was nothing but BS. It was written as a joke right?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The answer to this reality is VY Canis Majoris, nothing of this size can exist in reality...its an illusion/holograph.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Are dreams real? I mean, you have them and remember them (sometimes). They are a "real" experience in your reality, are they not?

Dreams are just a "species" of reality. Dreams can teach you things, just as books, classes, or documentaries in your waking life.

What is "real" are your experiences. What happens to you, what you witness and what you perceive.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

We essentially decode electromagnetic input, through six senses and build an image of reality in our minds. The reality we observe is a 3D picture created in our own mind, we fit that reality into a linear time frame to make the information coherent, as cause effective. We have too because everything exists everywhere at once. Reality is selective otherwise it would be chaotic.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
sounds like the OP might enjoy reading up on Observer Physics. its theory is that the matter and forces in the universe are only real when you observe and focus attention on something. when you don't it/everything returns to a wave form. gets into weird stuff like every observation is really the retarded observable time loop of a emseble of quantum singularity while your attention of it is from the advanced half of the temporal part of the occurring singularity. the singularity basically a quantum zero point phase conjugate and self referencing vortex and singularity. photons being the main building block of everything. it's a wacky theory and mind bending to understand but it describes in a way what the OP is talking about.

ps not talking about the " observer" in quantum physics but an obscure theory called "observer physics"
edit on 27-12-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

But all you are saying by saying this is that information is real. However how do you know that anything real as you think of it actually exists at all? The thing is if anything of this size is not possible then is it unlikely that a civilization could exist in a world outside of the computer you suppose, because if space cannot be this large then the existence of life never mind intelligent life would be so unlikely as to be almost impossible. This means that the computer you suppose would be impossible in such a world and so this proves we cannot be inside a computer because it could not exist. So information is what reality really is and that there is no other.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A very confused way of expressing what you believe.
If I critically analyse what you have said I will ruin the servers.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

The statement at the top of the thread says it all but I had to mention it because of the computer part mentioned by another person.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join