It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Louisville hiring for Assistant Professor - Whites and Asians need not apply

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
a reply to: Menrva
There is a very good reason women get paid less when compared to males in equal positions. What is the likely hood the male will fall pregnant and offer no productivity for over 4 months, while the business has to pay for it. I know if I was employing someone I would want high productivity less paperwork. Women do often forget this aspect. Men didn't have this benefit for a very long time.

Secondly have you ever heard the phrase " a woman's work is never done". That is why they are paid less....lol. (famous joke)

Are you joking with this garbage???

Please tell us you are joking. Please tell us there are not people walking around with beliefs that are this backward.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Menrva
Statistically, minorities are very underrepresented in most universities around the nation. Having been an employee at two different universities, there is quite a gap between the amount of white, male professors and the amount of women or minorities. From what I have witnessed, professors who get hired, minority or not, are not hired only because of skin color, but on merit as well. So to say that affirmative action has no place in the society of today is wrong. When women and minorities are employed at the same rate, and pay, as white males, only then will affirmative action no longer be relevant.

I responded to this in my opening post. Yes, affirmative action had a time and place. After the civil rights movement it's pretty obvious that not everyone was going to go along with the new laws so something had to be done because it was immediately after it was technically legal to discriminate based on race. More often than not it was a rule. That is not the case today, cases are far and wide more often the exception than the rule and should be handled on a case by case basis. I think most people are or would be ok with quite severe penalties for cases where discrimination is proven or in a case of where a company gets to close to the line to often. But discrimination as a rule is no longer the case. The answer now must be in encouraging disciplines such as the sciences, philosophy, teaching, etc to communities that are severely under represented. Flame me all you want but I have witnessed this myself, growing up in a heavily black neighborhood (my family being one of maybe 10 in the wider area). Quite simply and as non-offensively as possible I say: Black people aren't as interested in being teachers, physicists, astronomers, etc as White people. That's just the way it is today. Thug culture is glorified, thug culture, rapping and basketball. What I do see fairly often is Black people involved in the arts, both my ex-girlfriend (she was black) and one of my oldest friends went to the art institute. The girlfriend for graphic design and the friend for video game designing. Unfortunately they were the exceptions though.

I ask you to take the following question seriously: What are the chances and ratios that if you asked 10 random African American children say 16 years old what they wanted to do when they grew up that they would answer something physics or physical science related? Then do the same for 10 random white children. If you answer this question honestly to yourself, and if you have spent significant time in an average African American community, youd know the chances of a white child answering in the affirmative are much higher than the chances of an African American child answering in the affirmative.

It is HERE where the issues of equality must now be addressed. Children in minority communities need to be exposed more to the sciences as potentially something to do instead of wanting to grow up to be a rapper or NBA player or just nothing and falling into the perpetual gang cycle.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

There is a very good reason women get paid less when compared to males in equal positions. What is the likely hood the male will fall pregnant and offer no productivity for over 4 months, while the business has to pay for it. I know if I was employing someone I would want high productivity less paperwork. Women do often forget this aspect. Men didn't have this benefit for a very long time.

Secondly have you ever heard the phrase " a woman's work is never done". That is why they are paid less....lol. (famous joke)

You should probably just stop talking. You are adding nothing to this conversation.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

It is HERE where the issues of equality must now be addressed. Children in minority communities need to be exposed more to the sciences as potentially something to do instead of wanting to grow up to be a rapper or NBA player or just nothing and falling into the perpetual gang cycle.

A very laudable observation ... how do you achieve it without special, unilateral efforts directed solely at selected Black Communities ... aren't special opportunities based on race part of your complaint here?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: chuck258

A very laudable observation ... how do you achieve it without special, unilateral efforts directed solely at selected Black Communities ... aren't special opportunities based on race part of your complaint here?

Presenting the possibilities of things such as the sciences to children and teenagers in an attempt to increase representation in certain fields is not the same as denying one group of people access to something because another group is under represented. There isn't a shortage of White people in the fields of Physical science, there is however a shortage of African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans (apparently anyway). Going to African American communities and promoting science and such is a neutral way to increase the African American communities interests in the fields which, as I have said seem disproportionate towards Basketball, Rapping and being gang bangers, without putting another group (IE Whites) at a disadvantage.

Unfortunately since after implementation we would not start to see results for at least 5 or 6 years, no one will be rushing to do it, there is also not enough race pimp money to go around to spread it to actually addressing the issue at it's roots rather than cutting off branches after a tree has grown. That is exactly what these people are doing. Under representation of minorities in certain fields is like a weed and instead of ripping the weeds out at the roots we are just going at them with a weed wacker.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

The sad thing is, this happens all the time in various businesses, but usually, there is no ad to prove it. It even happens in the military. Racism is welcome if it's against certain groups.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Haha. I'm off ats for a week and people can't distinguish a joke from reality. It's supposed to be Christmas and everyone is grumpy. I know this is the wrong place to come for happy people but even forcing a smile now and then might help, irrelevant of a person's distaste for someone posting the oldest jokes about.

Cheer up, it might never happen.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Seeing you asked so politely and struggle with old school jokes yes it is a joke. I don't speak for the masses on this subject, just regurgitating funny stand up comedy sets.

Think a new years resolution is in order. Blood shouldn't boil over jokes.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Seeing you asked so politely and struggle with old school jokes yes it is a joke. I don't speak for the masses on this subject, just regurgitating funny stand up comedy sets.

Think a new years resolution is in order. Blood shouldn't boil over jokes.

Right ... it's our fault that you're an ass.

Enjoy your time off.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

As "silly" as Menral's post sounds, he is 100% correct. In the business world this is called Liability, women are considered liabilities because statistically they are much more likely (100% more likely) to get pregnant and need time off of work than men.

Businesses run on forecasted revenue and statistics, much like Insurance companies do.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: theySeeme

1. You're confused about the member you're quoting.

2. You're confused about how business measure risk in regard to the sex of their employees.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

So ... it's okay to be unfair, or to give unfair advantages based on race, as long as one is trying to do good?

Welcome to the ideological underpinning of Affirmative Action and similar programs.

(Discrimination is still discrimination, even when done for the right reasons.)

So, let's increase the focus on STEM across the board of American education, because while there is a notable deficit for Black Americans entering these fields, there is also an American deficit in light of the rest of the world.

Keep in mind, I have no issue with what you're proposing here. I'd love to see it. However, the fact remains that targeting certain racial groups with certain intentions in mind, even good ones, leads exactly to the situation you're rightfully decrying in the OP.
edit on 28-12-2015 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If this is not systematic racism against Whites and Asians, I don't know what is.

I guess only certain racism is bad.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Please tell us there are not people walking around with beliefs that are this backward.

Can't say no because there are people such as this. It explains the PC movement and near useless political leadership in the US.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: PresidentCamacho
If this is not systematic racism against Whites and Asians, I don't know what is.

I guess only certain racism is bad.

The OP is addressing one job posting by one university that was immediately taken down and condemned.

And as you can see here, no one believes that the racially biased ad was "in the right."

So ... Not really.
edit on 28-12-2015 by Gryphon66 because: Based on what was said

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Please tell us there are not people walking around with beliefs that are this backward.

Can't say no because there are people such as this. It explains the PC movement and near useless political leadership in the US.

The "PC movement" exists anywhere and anytime there are politics involved. All "sides" have PC.

(In fact, you're utilizing a "PC" argument by trying to throw this off on some vague, meaningless "PC movement" LOL)

As to our leaders being responsible for one individual's backwards-looking thought processes (or, as amended, mimicking such mindsets in an attempt to be "funny" except that anything resembling a punchline was left out) is nothing more than the constant shifting of blame we do in this country while never facing the real problem.

People are responsible for what they do. It's not "the other side's" fault, it's not "the government's" fault.

Period.
edit on 28-12-2015 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

That joke never gets old

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
Boom. Found someone who isn't depressed over the Christmas period. Praise be to Sean lock.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

(In fact, you're utilizing a "PC" argument by trying to throw this off on some vague, meaningless "PC movement" LOL)

Your are missing the point.

The kind of thinking that was mentioned does have a cause in all of this. I didn't mean it was the sole cause. There is also much personal belief of the people in it also.

edit:

The comment was about another post, no the OP.
edit on 12/28/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

People are responsible for what they do. It's not "the other side's" fault, it's not "the government's" fault.

I agree with that statement but remember that some people do not think for them self. What they are told by leaders and peers has a major impact on them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join