It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Issac Newton Vs The Vatican

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In the movie The Da vinci Code, it is claimed that Newton had to endure the wrath of the Church till his dying days, simply because he formulated some laws of gravitation oor was delving into the nature or cause of gravity.
Any ideas why would his actions invite the ire of the Church?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Could we find a historical document to base this discussion on instead of a fictional one?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I believe Newton said that the earth revolved around the sun. The Vatican said that the earth was the center of the universe and that the sun revolved around the earth. The church doesn't like people undermining their teachings. It's tougher to contol the masses

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Newton? You're kidding me. he is relatively recent. He died somewhere in the 1700s after all this was settled. I think you might mean Galileo.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The Church are very slow to change from a religious Order to a scientific Order.

The church and Isaac were on the same page.

Notice that there is no difference between the bible Apple of Knowledge and an Apple dropping on Isaacs' head giving him the knowledge of gravity.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I know Newton had some fairly unorthodox religious views (which he recorded in encrypted writings to keep the church off his back). There was some background from the church dealing with Galileo over whether the sun or the earth moved. It would stand to reason that there was some friction between the church and Newton, though I've never heard anything about it.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thank you I did mean Galileo , better to be thought an idiot than to open my mouth and remove all doubt lol

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Galileo got sucked into a controversy during a politically charged climate. In the old testament Joshua orders the sun to hold still. Galileo was asked why he ordered the sun to hold still instead of the earth. Galileo's reply was that the bible was clearly not intended as a guide for astronomers and should not be referenced for astronomical insight. To most today (and probably through most of history), this would seem very reasonable.

There was a great deal of strife between Catholics and protestants on how to interpret the bible at this time. The Catholic church claimed sole authority to teach the true meaning of the bible. Protestants undermined the authority of the church (a powerful political entity at this time, an essential part of the government), by claiming people should read the bible themselves and take their understanding from a direct relationship with god. This situation was used by different factions to provide leverage in civil wars.

A predominant figure in the study of the laws of nature saying you should leave the bible (and by extension, the church) out of an important issue didn't sit well with the church. But Galileo had some powerful backers and friends in high places (he actually had a background with the pope himself). He was given permission to cover his position by disguising it as a work of literature. Instead of stating his line of reasoning formally, he wrote a dialogue of a discussion between a fool and a scholar. The fool argued that the earth was still and questioned the scholar's position that the earth moved. He borrowed a question asked by the pope to represent the fool's dialogue. The pope took offense and removed the arrangement made with Galileo (and probably made things worse for him).

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

In the movie The Da vinci Code, it is claimed that Newton had to endure the wrath of the Church till his dying days, simply because he formulated some laws of gravitation oor was delving into the nature or cause of gravity. Any ideas why would his actions invite the ire of the Church? Text

Newton did not clash with the Church over gravitation. He did, however disagree with some aspects of the religious teachings of the Church (of England, not the Vatican). He never really dealt with any "wrath" from the Church, however.

So, your efforts to compare yourself and your odd ideas about gravitation with your imagined persecution of Newton for his accomplishments, don't really work. Your grasp of history would seem to be weak.

edit on 12/25/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Newton was a Rosicrucian and that certainly didn't endear him to the Church... But I don't believe he was persecuted for his beliefs, just simply practiced in secret.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You know the Da Vinci Code has a lot of historical inaccuracies right?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

You know the Da Vinci Code has a lot of historical inaccuracies right?

What are they?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha
The Church are very slow to change from a religious Order to a scientific Order.

The church and Isaac were on the same page.

Notice that there is no difference between the bible Apple of Knowledge and an Apple dropping on Isaacs' head giving him the knowledge of gravity.
THAT'S A GOOD POST. there IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING THERE

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In the movie The Da vinci Code, it is claimed that Newton had to endure the wrath of the Church till his dying days, simply because he formulated some laws of gravitation oor was delving into the nature or cause of gravity. Any ideas why would his actions invite the ire of the Church? Text

So, your efforts to compare yourself and your odd ideas about gravitation with your imagined persecution of Newton for his accomplishments, don't really work. Your grasp of history would seem to be weak.
My efforts....? What sheites are you on about mate?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Newton? You're kidding me. he is relatively recent. He died somewhere in the 1700s after all this was settled. I think you might mean Galileo.
Have you watched the movie tho?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This...among other things.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In any case. Newton was never in conflict with the Vatican about gravity.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

This...among other things.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In any case. Newton was never in conflict with the Vatican about gravity.
The op is about a certain claim in the movie, in case you missed that part. you should watch that movie tho. It revolves round the word apple

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If the movie actually did make that claim, it is wrong.
Unless, of course, you can provide some evidence other than a movie. What "wrath" did Newton endure?

you should watch that movie tho.
Why? Is it on NetFlix?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The Vatican had become like (actually worst) the same kind of tyrants that tried to crucify Jesus.

Intolerant bigots who did worst than crucifying people---they actually burnt people alive if you didn’t tow the dogma line.

They were worst than ISIS

Thank God they changed

I hope

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The Vatican had become like (actually worst) the same kind of tyrants that tried to crucify Jesus.
I thought they were supposed to have succeeded in doing so. Not just tried to.

Intolerant bigots who did worst than crucifying people---they actually burnt people alive if you didn’t tow the dogma line.
Protestants burned people too. In the name of their religion. Witches.

In any case, the Vatican did nothing to Newton.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join