It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REALLY heavy rain/lightning in SC tonight...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wow. It's 65 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now, heavy lightning/thunder. Are thunderstorms even a thing in the wintertime? I know there are tornadoes west of us too. What the heck? This is the weirdest Christmas weather ever!

Is anyone else experiencing strange weather tonight? Clearly, no white Xmas for me!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
And that's just the beginning...

I wonder what the climate is like in Antarctica these days. I hear they're bringing the thunder down under.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Had thunder earlier here in Aiken. 63 right now.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It's 75 with 87% humidity down here in Louisiana, Merry Christmas I guess

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta
And that's just the beginning...

I wonder what the climate is like in Antarctica these days. I hear they're bringing the thunder down under.

Hmmm... interesting question. Never thought to look it up before, but here ya go:
Weather for Antarctica

It ranges from -26 to +36 degrees. It's a large swatch of land, but I don't know what the normal temps should be for this time of year.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
I lived in Aiken in the mid-80's. That temp was not so normal for December in those days.
edit on 12/23/2015 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dweebsquad
It's 75 with 87% humidity down here in Louisiana, Merry Christmas I guess

Mercy! 75 is quite balmy. Yeah, Merry Christmas I guess back atcha...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Forecast calls for 76 or possibly warmer towards the weekend here in western SC. I might turn my air conditioning back on if my house warms up out of the 60's. Running my air in the winter time would be unusual.
I expect January and February to be cooler.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
My wife has lived here all her life and can remember being in shorts on Christmas.

I've been here since 1989 and I can remember cold Christmases, hot Christmases, wet ones, and in '89 in Charleston, it snowed!

Wild Wild Weather here in the SE, heh.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It's not all that uncommon for the deeper end of the south (FL/GA, for example) Not sure about other southern states, but I'd imagine it's not all that unheard of historically. Keep in mind I used to live on the Gulf Coast in S FL, and remember everything from heavy thunderstorms to a dusting of snow (two, actually, between the late 80's and early 2014) during winter. One of the dustings, '89, was on Christmas Eve, if I remember correctly.

We live in MI now, and it's rainy & snowless. I'm told it's not uncommon to have warm, snowless winters early in. Both of my parents and my late grandmother are/were MI natives, and every time I bitched about 75 on Christmas in FL, they laid in that they didn't always have a cold, snowy Christmas up here. My grandmother used to remind us of the Christmases she spent outside on green grass in shorts and a tank top. So it's not unheard of in that 1500 mile N/S swath to have warm winters. My grandma died in her 80's earlier this year, I'd say she saw plenty of seasons to base her opinion off of. My dad's in his 70's and my mom her 60's, so take that for what you will as well.
edit on 12/23/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/23/2015 by Nyiah because: Specified early winter

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Have lived in the Aiken/Augusta area since '61, was born in Columbia.

This afternoon about 2:30, the rain was so hard that it seemed as if the rain was a curtain hitting the windows. It lasted for over twenty minutes. My house is on top of a hill and water was standing in my yard waiting to drain off into my fields. Its been raining like this for two days, not continuously, but coming in torrents every two to three hours.

Several roads have washed out nearby.
edit on 23-12-2015 by NightFlight because: can't spell

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Here in the CSRA, our winter really doesn't set in until we get into January.

Oh, we'll have cold snaps in Nov. and Dec. A few days where the lows will get down to even the 20's for a night or two, and some days with the temps staying cold (last year on Nov. 1st, it actually tried to snow! Unheard of here at that time).

But for the most part, it's a roller coaster. Temps jumping up and down. One night it could get down to 26 F and the next day it jumps up to 76 for a high, and only down to 65 that night. Makes a lot of people run around sniffling their noses off.

There are memes out there joking about having all 4 seasons in one week here.

But then in Jan, it starts to get colder, and we even start to see some snow here and there:

Or ice storms:

And sometimes we have a winter that is like: What? Where is winter?

It's because we're so close to the Gulf with all the warm moist air from it, and the jet stream likes to dip down and freeze us, only to rise back up a few days later and cook us.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Have lived in the Aiken/Augusta area since '61, was born in Columbia.

This afternoon about 2:30, the rain was so hard that it seemed as if the rain was a curtain hitting the windows. It lasted for over twenty minutes. My house is on top of a hill and water was boranding in my yard waiting to drain off into my fields. Its been raining like this for two days, not continuously, but coming in torrents every two to three hours.

Several roads have washed out nearby.

That's insane! I was born in Camden in '61. Small world, eh?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Dodging tornadoes in Nashville TN this night.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear

Yikes, stay safe and Happy Holidays!

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear

We had dinner in the bathroom thanks to the sirens going off on Campbell.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It`s felt like spring here for the last 2-3 weeks I have onions and lettuce still growing in my vegtable garden.usually by the end of October we get the first frost and it kills everything but not this year. it`s been raining for 3 days and expecting 4 more days of it.
Last year was the same,it didn`t get cold until January and it stayed cold until almost May.in april I was still using the wood stove because temperatures were still getting down into the 30`s. It seems like the seasons are off by about 2 months.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Last year was the same,it didn`t get cold until January and it stayed cold until almost May.

Good point. Same here. Almost like the seasons have shifted.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Happy Holidays everyone! We had big lightening in Columbia tonight! The whole porch is wet from humidy floating around. I need a power soft bleach wash person to do the house outside. Mildew is growing like crazy. I miss the seven year drought we had. I hope the first week in January we get cold dry air. The creek is looking like flood stage again after the hurricane that came here this fall.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join