It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prediction: Humanity will not evolve enough to solve the Fukushima mess

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
It seems the gigantic significance of the following story has been missed by the majority.

No promises in Fukushima cleanup, director says

That's an admission by TEPCO (the people with the most information concerning the Fukushima disaster) that "Nothing can be promised." when it comes to "cleaning up" Fukushima. There is no timetable and there are no meaningful projections. Why? Quoting from the article above:

"New science will have to be invented for the plant to be cleaned up."

Now consider that fact together with the following:

Risk Expert: “High risk” of nuclear holocaust at Fukushima — Plant to keep emitting radioactive materials “for a thousand years or so” (AUDIO)

Michio Kaku: "A Meltdown is Forever"

www.youtube.com...

You've got two people above who should be considered experts on different aspects of the Fukushima disaster. Consider what they're saying, it's quite horrifying. If new science and technology aren't developed, we're in year four of an unthinkable disaster that will continue for about a thousand years.

Humanity should be rallying around this issue and using every available resource to tackle the problem. We're not seeing that, we're seeing virtually nothing significant being done about Fukushima.

My prediction is that humanity will not evolve enough to solve the Fukushima mess. My reasoning for that is this:

If there hasn't been any significant progress towards solving the problems yet, I see no reason to believe it will ever happen.
edit on 23-12-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

" evolve " - people keep using that word - utterly ignorant of what it actually means

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

" evolve " - people keep using that word - utterly ignorant of what it actually means

If you're such a wordsmith, was that comment a red herring or a non-sequitur?

Quoting from the Oxford dictionary:

Definition of evolve in English:
verb
Develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form:
[NO OBJECT]: the company has evolved into a major chemical manufacturer
the Gothic style evolved steadily and naturally from the Romanesque
[WITH OBJECT]: each school must evolve its own way of working

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

First, science is almost always developed gradually. When you're talking humanity developing a new science on the scale of what we're discussing, the word "evolve" fits.

Second, since humanity is essentially completely ignoring Fukushima now, it's going to take a gradual development to solve that problem. It's not going to happen overnight.
edit on 23-12-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well I hate to be that guy

But I will

Biblically the prophets said that a third of the worlds oceans will die. Revelations 8

So as predictions go, a little late in context

Sad

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Maybe we will evolve to thrive on radiation (like superman) as opposed to getting killed by it!

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Humanity should be rallying around this issue and using every available resource to tackle the problem. We're not seeing that, we're seeing virtually nothing significant being done about Fukushima.

My prediction is that humanity will not evolve enough to solve the Fukushima mess. My reasoning for that is this:

If there hasn't been any significant progress towards solving the problems yet, I see no reason to believe it will ever happen.

I do share your view that we should all be rallying around the whole nuclear power issue. I'd even say shut down or dismantle all plants for now. They pose too much of a threat to the entire planet and we have too little control over them. Besides, there's enough alternatives to ease our hunger for energy.
At least until we do find solutions to deal with a possible aftermath, however long that may take. Just because we haven't made a lot of progress in the field of cleaning these messes up doesn't mean we never will. There will inevitably be more accidents by the grace of mother nature if we keep on this road though so it is getting very crucial to wake people up.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This exact thread was posted like not even a month ago.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

More like devolve, from mutations caused by irradiation on a planet wide scale.

Bioaccumulation, the absorption and concentration of naturally occurring and man made elements in the environment into living organisms.

The higher up the food chain the higher the concentration. Humans are at the top of that chain and will eventually receiver the highest doses.

Some of the nuclides and isotopes being released at Fuku decay over eons.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'm not too bothered about humans, they are mostly idiots anyway [including myself sometimes]. All I can say is that nature will survive and that is the most important thing. Who knows maybe a better 'top race' will emerge after us. After all, the world was in better shape for millions of years before we came along. And it will be again once we are gone.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I don't see how Fukushima can be bad for the planet. Not only is a little radiation good for you but nuclear power is green energy, so we are told.

So let's all eat a big plate full of Japanese sea food, yum! And don't forget to go swimming in the Pacific Ocean, it a good cardio workout. I bet if we embrace this disaster, we'll all be much healthier. Nuclear energy, for a brighter future!

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

My last kid was born with 2 sets of teeth and a 9 inch tail! Named him "nukey"

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

My last kid was born with 2 sets of teeth and a 9 inch tail! Named him "nukey"

Is it safe to say you wife didn't breast feed?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Do you see the flippancy with which people are replying to your thread? An absolutely apocalyptical type of event, one that will continue to effect us and our descendants for ages, and the replies here are flippant.

I point this out because that has been the response by most people from the beginning of the whole nuclear power industry. Once the capitalist class began funneling investment money into the industry there was no turning back. The scientists who said don't do this, it will be very dangerous, were met with pet scientists who said, oh not really, we have the safety measures in place and all will be well.

Where will you put the spent rods. What will you do with the radioactive waste? Oh, we will find something to do with it that will insure safety. And decades later, they still are working on that one.

There were people back in the 50s and 60s and 70s who fought this industry. Who made attempts to bring the catastrophic nature of the threat to public attention but the press labeled them 'alarmists' and radicals and, oh yeah, environmentalists.

But oh, most people wanted to believe in the cheap power provided by the profit making industry, and the owners lovvvved the money they were making, so year after year the nature of the risk was slowly drowned in an avalanche of other problems we were digging ourselves into.

All those reactors should never have been built. They all should have been shut down and decommissioned decades ago. Some were, but not enough. These time bombs remain a Damocles Hammer over our heads, but who cares? Not the flippant ones.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I can't believe you couldn't see my sarcasm.

When I first heard about Fukushima I was completely devastated. I thought that event was doomsday in slow motion. I felt stunned and was numb for at least a week. It was hard for me to function for quite a while. I knew the world would never be the same and there was no turning back now. Nuclear power is only good for creating waste and building bombs that would eventually destroy the entire planet.

Is that the type of reply you were hoping for? Because that is the way I actually feel about it.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I too was being sarcastic. I don't support nuclear energy. It's not cost efficient, creates terrible radioactive waste and is dangerous.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

My apologies if I mistook some of the replies as flippant when they were not intended that way. I too, back in the 70's went out and had a custom bumper sticker made which read "
Try enjoying nuclear radiation...
Mutation may be our only hope of survival"

However, since then, I have lost any ability to be jocular on this issue. As the reality of Chernobyl and Three Mile Island were, after short term news worthiness, lost to the dust bin of 'been there, done that' news, it set me to mind that maybe we all ARE doomed, Even when a big budget Hollywood movie with big time stars brought it to general awareness the problem still did not gain enough traction to halt the big money industry, I began to sense that we might not be capable as a species of ever making course adjustments to save ourselves.

new topics

top topics

join