It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House flies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

lol I bought a Venus fly trap, they killed it ...true story

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

You say they're black flies?

Are they kinda sluggish and stupid in their behavior? If so, it sounds like cluster flies. They don't congregate on dead things or spoiled food, but around things like the HVAC unit, hollowed trees, etc. I had this happen once, it was sometime in the spring/fall, I think, and I turned on the heat one night, which caused them to "awaken." For the next 2-3 days I was killing them by the dozens, at least 100 a day. It was annoying, but after a couple day I killed them all and they never returned. I never found *where* they came from, it's just one of those things.

You mention it's warmer than normal, so that could help explain it. If something was dead and there were that many flies, you'd know it.

Cluster Flies

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Does anybody know could it have something to do with the septic tank? Like maybe breeding in there and flying out? Just grasping at straws here. No sewer gases inside.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I know what it might be. The flies have been kind of hibernating in the house. They don't hibernate as such, but shut right down in Winter. If you have only moved in recently you have disturbed them and the temperature has gone up so they will start flying around again.

I once cleaned a house when I did industrial cleaning. It was a big old house in winter. Because it had been empty for a while there were lots of flies seeing the winter through in there. I remember them being everywhere. Your house fits the bill as it has been empty and undisturbed for a time.

I reckon just more of what you are doing will deal with the problem. They will move out and lots trapped, too. In a few weeks or even days there will be no more problem. They will not find any food and will quickly lose their energy from flying around when they should not be.

Pretty sure it is that and not the "dead thing" scenario.

I read from an article on rural Michigan and there can be problems with biting black flies and stable flies in the Summer months apparently.

edit on 22-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
That's pretty bad. It must have eaten too much or something. You might try something like this:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

well they are black, but not like Michigans UP "Black Flies"

Not sluggish nor stupid.(ok they are stupid. ) they act like normal houseflies only smaller.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Just a thought here, could you blast the room with fly spray and then try and see where they first start reappearing from?

It might give an idea of where too look?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: Liquesence

well they are black, but not like Michigans UP "Black Flies"

Not sluggish nor stupid.(ok they are stupid. ) they act like normal houseflies only smaller.

"Cluster flies are very common, the adult flies hibernate during the winter months in roof spaces of houses and/or farm buildings. After this time the flies lay their eggs in the earth and/or animal dung. As the soil temperature increases in late spring, the eggs will hatch."

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I appreciate your answer but ahhhhh I owned the home all last summer. I removed most the walls.
natural or supernatural I will end it

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

NO.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

a reply to: Revolution9

I appreciate your answer but ahhhhh I owned the home all last summer. I removed most the walls.
natural or supernatural I will end it

Definitely NOT supernatural.

There will be a reason.

Sounds like there is also a reason why soon they will not be there. Your determination is showing. Those critters need swatting freeloading in your house like that.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

NO.

Any particular reason?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

A] I dont want to juice my house with chemicals and B) my cat likes to live on the windowsill where I would have to spray

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I understand that it is not ideal using the chemicals but thought a one off hit might give you a heads up.

How about hoovering the buggers up and trying the same tactic

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I just had a nasty thought. Years ago, these people I know had a bug infestation. The exterminator tracked it to the basement, where a wall was crumbling. A little probing made a section of wall crumble away, exposing a disturbing surprise. Someone had been murdered and walled up there. It was little more than a skeleton.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I just had a nasty thought. Years ago, these people I know had a bug infestation. The exterminator tracked it to the basement, where a wall was crumbling. A little probing made a section of wall crumble away, exposing a disturbing surprise. Someone had been murdered and walled up there. It was little more than a skeleton.

I hope it's daylight for the OP, it's night time here and if you had said that to me I would be sleeping at a friends house tonight!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I bought the fly spray
How about hoovering the buggers up and trying the same tactic what the hell that mean?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

nothing so juicy as a skeleton

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I bought the fly spray
How about hoovering the buggers up and trying the same tactic what the hell that mean?

I meant if you did not want to use the spray you could have got a vacuum cleaner and sucked the little buggars up.

Make sure you cover any food and clean up afteards, it's nasty stuff.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you can only find the babies to see where they are breeding....

It is a bad thought, but try to leave a compost pail out to give them something else to breed in, and once they have taken that over, eliminate it.

I hope your problem clears up soon.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join