It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ear Cropping and Tail Docking - Why?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ApparentlyStupid
I don't know if a Boxer with a tail develops the same wiggling speed as a boxer without one but if the boxer I used to have still had a tail he would have created tornadoes with it.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DeceptioVisus

They put their whole body into it tail or no.
I love the goofy little monsters!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This practice is barbaric and cruel mutilation. I belong to some groups for feeding our pets biologically appropriate diets, and I see these people doing all this wonderful stuff for this glorious bub they love...yet they also mutilated the poor thing.

They get mad at me when I describe a scenario such as me adopting their human child, then cropping their ears to look like elves- because hey- that's what I like! Why you mad? They won't remember it. They're a child, they don't feel pain the way we do.

That's different though, some how. Don't ask me why, but apparently people think it is different.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

Nope.
I'm against it completely.
Unnecessary.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'd like to see a Rottweiler with his his tale,sadly every single one I have encountered has had a docked tale.

How anyone can say they don't feel pain is beyond me.

Good post.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Tail curls up

Doberman are goofy looking w their tails and ears but I love it

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Glad to see so much about the Rotts. Love them fellas.

You do not dock or crop a Rotts ears. but you massage and manipulate them if necessary so they fold flat. So that when they raise the ears it gives the appearance of a larger head.

When I bought my first Rott I also purchased a book "the complete Rottweiler" by Muriel Freeman...it had a story of a Greek ruler who had a Rott "Astor" and he had docked his tail and it became common. Not sure of the validity of that.

I do wonder how many people who are against docking have still cut off the balls of their dogs though? Kinda the same thing.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

That's Sonja and Tyson,

You cant see Tyson's tail in the pic but its just as long as Sonja's

Sonja was quite young in that pic, she is going to be 6 years old this coming January,

Sadly, Tyson passed away 3 years ago when he was only 6 years old.

Where I am its the opposite, I rarely see a Rottie without a tail.

Sonja on her back, taking over my couch,

Yeah there is still space,

however this is what it was like a few years back before Tyson passed

I got demoted to the dog bed

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I think it's a stupid and cruel thing to do. They're born the way they are for a reason. If they were meant to be cropped and docked, they'd be born that way.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
We used to have a really large Rottie with a tail also. When he walked, his tail curled upwards over his back.
They have much better communication with other dogs and people when you can see their tail position, and/or if it's wagging happily. It gives them a friendlier look.

a reply to: InhaleExhale

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I think it's a stupid and cruel thing to do. They're born the way they are for a reason. If they were meant to be cropped and docked, they'd be born that way.

Exactly!!!!! I have never known a person who owns a dog who has done anything like that to them. How cruel!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am not against it if there is an established reason you are doing it beyond making the dog look better in your opinion.

Some of the cited reasons to have it done on actual working dogs for example.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
In the UK tail docking is illegal. The only exception is working dogs, where a docked tail is often necessary. You are not allowed to "show" dogs with cropped tails. Been this way for a decade. Docking must be done by a vet who must be satisfied the dog will work.

Kennel club UK

Personally I agree. I think people's vanity plays into this.

Ear docking is just crap.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Star for your demotion, I mean devotion.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Rottweilers for example, had their tails cropped to stop the hooved animals from stepping on and causing infections in the dogs tails.

You can see that these excuses were invented to justify a cruel practice that originated because somebody thought a dog’s ears were too big or its tail too long.

For the information of anyone who cares, the practice of tail-docking was originally made fashionable by the Ancient Greek general, politician, socialite, pretty boy and traitor Alcibiades, whose other claims to fame were being the lover of Socrates and selling Athens out to Sparta and Sparta out to the Persians.

Alcibiades had a dog which cost him seventy minas, and was a very large one, and very handsome. His tail, which was his principal ornament, he caused to be cut off, and his acquaintances exclaiming at him for it, and telling him that all Athens was sorry for the dog, and cried out upon him for this action, he laughed, and said, "Just what I wanted has happened then. I wished the Athenians to talk about this, that they might not say something worse of me." — Plutarch, Life of Alcibiades

edit on 22/12/15 by Astyanax because: it was bollocks.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Thank you for your point of view, your reasoning , heart and awareness full of empathy and compassion.

No I do not think it is something which is a natural or harmless thing to do to a poor puppy. The only thing I can say is that maybe, just maybe when people put so much money and ego into an otherwise beautiful innocent little canine, perhaps that pup has a fighting chance in life to live well and loved, appreciated. I feel for those that are tossed away, abandoned, abused and neglected far more than I do a dog whos owner went against nature and cropped or otherwise changed a pups looks.

I am with you on this.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Those practices are now illegal here in the UK. Rightly so.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

When he walked, his tail curled upwards over his back.

That's the alert sign, them being alert of their surroundings.

They have much better communication with other dogs and people when you can see their tail position, and/or if it's wagging happily. It gives them a friendlier look.

yeah, completely agree.

Its amazing how we can their body language and how its even easier to do so when they have their tails.

If it wasn't for our four legged friend who knows where humanity would be at today.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeceptioVisus
Star for your demotion, I mean devotion.

Not too much of demotion,

It was a special orthopedic bed for large dogs, was actually more comfortable that the couch

top topics

<< 1   >>

join