It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carey's Festive Hit Will Completely Baffle Your Brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is pretty common knowledge to musicians. Your brain expects to hear a note or a beat, so it adds it in. It's like a ghost note. Pretty spooky stuff.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Never heard the song sang by her but know the song. I can hear the lyrics.
But I'm calling BS Diana Deutsch from California has never heard all I want for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Gosh my poor ears..these horrible pianos keys arrrgh..
My brain must be brainwashed eh ?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
sounds like a drunken saloon pianer player.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I've heard the actual song several times a day, every day, for the past few weeks at work, but I don't hear any voice in that video...

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hmmm I am surprised how many people didn't hear the voice, wonder what that says about us that do?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
OK My husband can't hear it and thinks I'm crazy, well that could be, but he is confused.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I do not hear it.

But that is probably because I have trained my ear to listen to each different part of a piece of music, from the piano to the drums, from the front vox to the backing group, and any other parts which might be present. In heavy metal, particularly black metal and prog metal, the layering in the music is dense, and I train my ears to separate the strands from which tracks are woven, in order to better understand the badassery at work. Devin Townsend is a master at layering things richly, and meshing them beautifully together.

However, I also enjoy unpicking his sounds with my ears. This, by comparison, offers little challenge.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I can't hear a human voice in it at all.

Awfully de-tuned piano though.

Perhaps it's because I'm a muso. I listen far more critically than others.

edit on 20/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I get what you mean, I hear the "voice" but its not really a voice its just how the MIDI sounds sorta vibrate/reverb mainly the piano.

I haven't really heard this song of hers either, I understand why people think that sound might be a "voice" but it certainly isn't, MIDI can be quite confusing at time, I am quite familiar with MIDI songs as I used to play plenty of them in an MMO that allowed you to play MIDI songs with in-game music instruments, and if you knew the song sometimes the words just come up even though they aren't there.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i could very distinctly hear mariah carey singing to me. insane

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Sorry. Nothing. Some occasional sounds that may have been vocal samples, but they could just as easily have been made by Michael Jackson, Donald Duck or a voice synthesizer.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Something similar - linking sense modalities.

The McGurk Effect

_________

I remember an interesting podcast on RadioLab with Diana Deutsch - about hearing songs buried in monotonous sound loops.

Check it out if you are interested:
RadioLab

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join