It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Cooked in a Crock Pot For the First Time Last Night!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My housemate bought a Hamilton beach 5 qt slow cooker for both of us to use. He only knows how to cook in a microwave, so I think he was trying to expand his horizons without the *gasp* analog cooking using a stovetop or oven.

I thought I would be nice and buy some food for it as we would share it and he also bought a shiny red microwave this year that I also use.

I looked at many recipes for crock pot cooking on the internet. Most of them differed on how long to cook, at what temperature and what were the 'best' ingredients.

I usually shop at a discount grocery store, but I went to a more mainstream chain store to seek out 'prepacked' crock pot meals I had seen on the internet, I could not find any.

I did find packs of partially cut vegetables in the meat section meant for crock pot cooking. The perfect amount of red potatoes, celery, small onions, carrots and parsley. I bought 2 of those packs. I thought it would save me some prep time.

I bought a 2.3 lb boneless beef chuck roast (it was $14.93-what was it, made of gold?), that was my best guess as to what type to buy. I also bought a pork prime rib roast at 2.5 lb for $10. I froze that for future use.

After perusing more recipes, I settled on my own choices of how to go about this.

Prep time: about 15 min.
Cook time: 5.5 hours.

1) Brown the chuck roast on both sides for 4 min each in 1/4 cup canola oil on the stove. Salt and pepper both sides.

2) Wash the vegetables , peel the onions. Chop the vegetables in pieces- not too small. Tiny red potatoes in half, the 1 large red
potato in quarters. I mainly left the parsley alone. I left the skin on the potatoes. Cut the carrots in about 8 pieces each of 3 sticks, the celery in about 4 per stalk.

3) Put the vegetables in the crock pot. Place the meat on top.

4) Add 2 cups of chicken broth (the only broth I had in the house).

5) Add 2 tbsp. minced garlic.

6) Cook on high for 5.5 hours.

The result: The best food I have ever tasted in my life. The meat cut like melted butter (my mother was surprised a chuck roast would come out so tender). Only a small portion of meat and a ladle of broth/veggies made me feel as if I had eaten an entire cow. I wanted to sleep for 3 days. It was perfectly seasoned. Not too much, not too little.

The only changes I will make: I will buy meat at the store I usually go to- not where prices are inflated.

The change I might make: Buy the vegetables separately, now that I know about how much is needed.

The meal was about $17, but will feed 2 people for 2 days, lunch and dinner. So about 4 meals. Next time I will spend less.
Buying a better cut of meat seems unnecessary.

I am pretty proud of myself!! I can cook, but have never used this 'gift from the gods' machine.

edit on 18-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Was it good for you?

There are some really interesting crock pot cookbooks. Things I never would have thought could be cooked that way. Enjoy !

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Was it good for you?

There are some really interesting crock pot cookbooks. Things I never would have thought could be cooked that way. Enjoy !

Yes, I am finding more and more different foods that can be cooked this way!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
I inherited one. Discovered by experience that potatoes cook more slowly than meat, so I would either cut them small or pre-boil them for a bit.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Chili in a crockpot is one of my favorites.
A nice soup or stew is amazing in the winter....enjoy the new toy.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Chilli may be my next choice

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Pot Roast in a crock pot is one of my favorites. I usually sear the roast on all sides in grapeseed oil or homemade lard and throw in the crock with a couple quarts of broth, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, a couple bay leaves, garlic, and an onion soup packet. I let that go for a few hours until the fat really starts to break down and then I add carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and whatever other vegetables or spices I may have or feel like using. I like to add turmeric, which turns the broth and potatoes yellow but I find that it doesn't really affect the flavor and is super healthy. You really can't go wrong. It really helps to get a roast with a bone in it. It adds nutrients and flavor.

The best part is making soup out of the leftover bits. Just add more broth, vegetables, salt and pepper and your eating for a few more days. Get out the rolls and butter... 'mouth waters.'

I was thinking about making my first thread about tasty but simple meals for people living alone. This meal would be first on my list. Good thing you got that pork roast, it's the same recipe for either and just as good, perhaps better.

edit on 18-12-2015 by DeceptioVisus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DeceptioVisus

Yumm....I will try it that way.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'm proud of you, too! Great job! I LOVE the crock pot because when I'm ready for dinner, it's ready for me! LOL! This is one of my favorite recipes. I haven't had it for ages because it's not the healthiest thing on the planet... But it's SO good!
www.food.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I know your thread is about a crockpot but a wonderful and simple side I like to make often is home fries. Grab a few Russets, Yukons, or Red potatoes(healthiest). First wash and then wedge them. I have tried many spice combos but the best is to simply season with garlic salt and lowry's season salt in a large bowl. Then toss in your favorite oil. My favorites are grapeseed, olive oil, and avocado oil. They are the healthy choices but vegetable or canola will do the trick. After a good stir let them sit for at least 15 minutes to let the oil soak in, this allows the oil to fry the outside of the potato and make them golden brown. Line them skin down on a baking sheet that is covered with crumpled foil, this eliminates the need to flip them and keeps the pan clean, while also aerating the bottom sides of the wedges. Finally put them in a preheated oven at 350 until they are golden on the outside and soft on the inside, it varies from potato to potato and oven to oven. This takes no time at all and is a filler of a side for sure.

You can also cook chicken quarters, or drummies at about the same time and temp. Another favorite of mine.

Don't forget the overly buttered grilled cheese to go with that chilli.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I'm proud of you, too! Great job! I LOVE the crock pot because when I'm ready for dinner, it's ready for me! LOL! This is one of my favorite recipes. I haven't had it for ages because it's not the healthiest thing on the planet... But it's SO good!
www.food.com...

Ty, I bookmarked that

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Here is a cheap and effortless meal for a crock pot the wife and I make it all the time. Pork loin thick cut with bone in a 2 pack about 10$ one can condense mushroom soup and one cut up onion. Garlic powder,salt and pepper on the pork add you can of soup with one can water aswell as the onion.

It's sooooooo good! Serve with rice and your choice of veggie.

Welcome to the world of slow cookers! It's all gravy now!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is an amazingly easy roast to make, and by far my favorite:

Mississippi Roast
www.tablefortwoblog.com...

Do check it out and make it!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Back on topic, I just recently killed, skinned, and butchered a hog for the first time ever killing, skinning, or butchering anything. I am trying to live a minimalist homesteader lifestyle and I decided if I can't kill it then I shouldn't eat it. I thanked our creator/designer for the sustenance given and handled the task without a problem. Very insightful experience.

I didn't realize exactly how many pork chops are in one hog. I think I have somewhere around 40 x 1" pork chops. I don't know how to cook a pork chop besides pan frying and they are always dry. This thread has me looking around and I found this.

www.tasteofhome.com...

I will be trying this to get a tender juicy pork chop. Thanks for the inspiration OP.
edit on 18-12-2015 by DeceptioVisus because: spelling

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
This is an amazingly easy roast to make, and by far my favorite:

Mississippi Roast
www.tablefortwoblog.com...

Do check it out and make it!

I like this. The photos made me hungry. I have several jars of fresh pepperoncinis from this years garden. Can't wait to try it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Pork+mushroom soup+slow cooker=great pork everytime!

Get any bacon or tender loin off the hog?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeceptioVisus
Back on topic, I just recently killed, skinned, and butchered a hog for the first time ever killing, skinning, or butchering anything. I am trying to live a minimalist homesteader lifestyle and I decided if I can't kill it then I shouldn't eat it. I thanked our creator/designer for the sustenance given and handled the task without a problem. Very insightful experience.

I didn't realize exactly how many pork chops are in one hog. I think I have somewhere around 40 x 1" pork chops. I don't know how to cook a pork chop besides pan frying and they are always dry. This thread has me looking around and I found this.

www.tasteofhome.com...

I will be trying this to get a tender juicy pork chop. Thanks for the inspiration OP.

Gratz
That;s a lot of food and a good skill to have!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I love it when we have something yummy cooking in the crock pot all day.
It makes the home smell 'homey' when it's cooking and by dinner time, the aroma has my mouth watering.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Have to echo this, chili in a slow cooker is one of my favourites!

I use my cooker every single week, it's almost hard to make something that isn't good

One of my favourite things (especially if you're low carb) is just throwing a brisket in there, some onion, carrots, good quality stock and cut up chunks of Lincolnshire sausage, celery if you like it, broccoli on the side... nom

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Fresh pepperonicinis sounds wonderful! This really is a top notch slow cooker meal. I love my slow cooker, and this is one recipe I make often.

Also, pork roast with a little salt and liquid smoke, no liquid added- great and very versatile. Can also be done with chicken. If you search Hawaiian pork or Kalua pork , it's a variation of it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join