It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa releases stunning new image of Earth taken from a spacecraft orbiting the moon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: butcherguy

I claim the second Moon mine.

Quick,
put a flag on it!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

It is one picture, but cameras on satellites frequently take three images, one red, one green, and one blue, and it's then put together into one image.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The moon, as well as reality, is in the mind of the beholder...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Meh, Earth...

Been there, done that...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
More CGI/Photoshop BS from NASA pushing the globe Earth propaganda.

Tip for NASA: You guys should hire some artists from EA and Ubisoft, they produce convincing globe models.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Looks fake as hell to me. Weird angle. And what's with the shadows on the moons surface, they seem completely random.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Ove38

And is that the moons surface or is it something that was added to give the visual feel to the pic ?

The camera was located right over the termination line - the boundary between the Moon's night and the Moon's day. Judging by the picture, I can extrapolate that the camera was located near the North pole of the Moon, on its Far Side, and that at the time of the picture the Moon was in the New Moon phase.

The weird shadows on the ground are caused by the very low angle of the sun, its rays only light up the tip of the hills and mounds.

eta ...so where is the flag ?

The Apollo Mission didn't put the Flag on the North Pole and/or Far Side of the Moon; they've put the Flag on Mare Tranquilis.

edit on 18-12-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

.so where is the flag ?

Right where they left it.

Why would you think your going to see the flag?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Imagine if you'd never been to Earth but you'd seen it in the sky and spoke of it's beauty. Then imagine the disappointment when you land in the NY slums. I would imagine this would be similar to the same trick as thinking you're going to migrate to Greenland, then you get there and its covered in ice.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardBoiled
Looks fake as hell to me. Weird angle. And what's with the shadows on the moons surface, they seem completely random.

The LRO has low orbit at 31 miles. Sun is kind of low on the horizon behind the LRO. The sun is in the right position to light up the earth and cast the proper shadows. Nothing out of the ordinary considering all the factors.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

The weird shadows on the ground are caused by the very low angle of the sun, its rays only light up the tip of the hills and mounds.

Too bad that in reality the outline of the moonscape clearly says otherwise.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

so where is the flag ?

The flags and other equipment are believed to have been hauled to Tatooine and sold to Jawas. By who, is still unanswered.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Too bad that in reality the outline of the moonscape clearly says otherwise.

What are you suggesting it "really" looks like?

Like that?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ove38

I'm not gonna lie... It does look like its been airbrushed and touched up. It looks like a backdrop or green screen pic. The Apollo pic looks much more accurate. I would imagine that a billion years ago, that's what Earth looked like from the moon because it was closer. I mean, if the Earth looked that close from the moon, you'd think the moon looked like this from the Earth, am I right?

i.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

No need to insert ridiculous stuff to take my comment into the extreme. Or is there?

What part of "shadows do not fit the landscape" was confusing to you?

edit on 18-12-2015 by HardBoiled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I find it interesting that those who don't believe that science and technology can take us to the moon or capture pictures rely on it in their daily lives without question and believe it can create more real pictures than actual pictures.

Humans.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I find it interesting that those who don't believe that science and technology can take us to the moon

Who exactly doesn't believe that?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

a reply to: roadgravel

I find it interesting that those who don't believe that science and technology can take us to the moon

Who exactly doesn't believe that?

Look around this place for the answer. There are many.

link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I find it interesting that those who don't believe that science and technology can take us to the moon or capture pictures rely on it in their daily lives without question and believe it can create more real pictures than actual pictures.

Humans.

It's not that. The picture looks like it was taken in a studio with a soft fluorescent light in the background. I don't think that's an insult to anyone besides NASA for posting it. It's a beautiful picture, just looks photoshopped.

link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: swanne

I claim the second Moon mine.

Quick,
put a flag on it!

The Awesome Swanne Federation Flag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>