It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful. Life Changing. The Sound Of Silence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I won't lie, I've listened to this song repeatedly this week - it's just that good.

Sometimes I have reveries when I listen to music.
This song felt like every country in the world, marching towards their own Governments with quiet strength, in silence.
This song was playing in the background, as they stood together, united in their desire for truth and justice.
Powerful stuff.

You must let this song fill your room, and be embraced by it.
I will listen 1000 times, and then...
So will you.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MoonBlossom

It's good, always liked that song, the original is a bit more gentle

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Its an awesome song. But gotta admit I dig the simon & garfunkel original so much more.

Maybe its just what I'm accustomed to.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I like that version. Thanks for posting.

You might enjoy this as well.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I liked it... but... I couldn't listen to it a thousand times.
One of the things that I love so much about the original is the harmony. There's a real simplicity to it; just two voices, in perfect harmony.

I miss that in this version - and though this has a power and drama of its own, which I quite like... I just find myself missing that beautiful harmony.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

OP, nobody can sing this song except Paul and Art. It is too sacred. Their harmonies can not be emulated, they are that talented. It is one of my favourite songs of all time. Sorry, but I can't listen to copies.

I really do think you should have discussed the original here. I think your thread would have been more popular. A song like this deserves a full introduction that includes the original songwriters and performers.

Yet more beautiful American Jewish art, from Art and Paul. Yes, both Jewish.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Its an awesome song. But gotta admit I dig the simon & garfunkel original so much more.

Maybe its just what I'm accustomed to.

Yes, it is not possible to equal their performance. I think it is the best song they ever wrote.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

That's a really good song. Try to alternate it with their version (S and G), of The Condor Pasa. Great story by the way about how Simon learned it.
edit on 18-12-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Of course, nothin beats the original (except Jimi covering Dylan), But this song is epic
Thx for posting, OP.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

And Heart version of Stairway to Heaven. So emotional that made cry Robert Plant.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Sorry dude, there can only be one..

Kidding....actually, I can think of a few others that give the original a run for its money..

Ive never heard the Heart version. I'll check it out.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Busy, busy at this time of year - truly did not mean to post and run.

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
I like that version. Thanks for posting.
You might enjoy this as well.
Thank you for the song suggestion, very much enjoyed the lyrics!

originally posted by: Awen24
I liked it... but... I couldn't listen to it a thousand times.
It was a bit of poetic license, which, I guess does not translate over the internet particularly well...

originally posted by: Revolution9
It is one of my favourite songs of all time. Sorry, but I can't listen to copies.

I really do think you should have discussed the original here. I think your thread would have been more popular. A song like this deserves a full introduction that includes the original songwriters and performers.
Well I had no way of knowing it was your favourite song now, did I?
Feel free to make a thread about the original as that is your preferred version. This thread was not about that, nor did I make this thread for it to become popular - what is that on ATS anyway?! I do understand though - I might have a difficult time hearing a cover of my all-time favourite song - which would be Annie's Song by John Denver.

originally posted by: Tucket
Of course, nothin beats the original (except Jimi covering Dylan), But this song is epic
Thx for posting, OP.
Thanks for appreciating another version.

originally posted by: Trueman
That's a really good song. Try to alternate it with their version (S and G), of The Condor Pasa.

And Heart version of Stairway to Heaven. So emotional that made cry Robert Plant.
Thanks for the song recommendation, very much enjoyed it! I had the privilege of seeing Heart live with Jason Bonham on drums perform Stairway to Heaven - and it was a magical experience indeed.

edit on 19-12-2015 by MoonBlossom because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I get it - I used to be of the mind that NO cover could compare to the original - almost thought it akin to blasphemy. lol

However, I started to consider that it is the very act of covering songs that helps them to transpire to newer generations. While the original version may indeed stand the test of time, it is the cover versions that introduce these originals and bridge the generation gap in the first place - something I am now more appreciative of, because it keeps the music flowing ever forward.

I have always enjoyed Simon & Garfunkel (Bridge Over Troubled Water being an easy fave) Their version of The Sound Of Silence is intricately delicate with gorgeous harmonies and there is no denying that fact.

The reason I resonated with this new cover version (even being unfamiliar with the group) is his deep tone and especially his powerfully apparent passion (particularly starting from 2:32); - something which is not palpable as much (for me) in the S&G version. I could see this cover in some sort of Broadway play with angst and rawness for a story-line, for example...the fierceness really displayed the lyrics well IMO.

Sometimes one craves a song with delicate harmonies, while sometimes one desires to have their very bones reverberate with passion and power. Neither one is necessarily any better than the other - it truly depends upon the mood of the listener.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Sometimes one craves a song with delicate harmonies, while sometimes one desires to have their very bones reverberate with passion and power.

Oh so agree. The thing that moved my bones in both versions.

(thanks for friending me)

top topics

join