It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Revealed: Roman Sword Reportedly Found Off Oak Island

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Thanks to summers spent with my autodidact grandmother and the eclectic assemblage of books and periodicals in her private library, I was introduced at a young age to what is often referred to as "Fortean phenomena." The Oak Island Mystery was in fact my very first exposure. So it was with great interest that I looked forward to the airing of the The Curse of Oak Island and despite the lack of substantive discoveries and the often dubious characters who make appearances on the show, I've stuck with it.

Now it appears that an upcoming episode will feature what is alleged to be a previous find that has gone unreported and if true, would not only change the theories surrounding Oak Island but rewrite world history — which makes me highly skeptical — but nonetheless interested.

Ancient Origins - Roman Sword discovered off Oak Island radically suggests Ancient Mariners visited New World 1,000 years before Columbus

Researchers investigating the mysterious Oak Island, located on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Canada, have made a startling announcement regarding the discovery of a Roman ceremonial sword and what is believed to be a Roman shipwreck, radically suggesting that ancient mariners visited North America more than a thousand years before Columbus.

Evidence of the finding, which was exclusively revealed to Johnston Press and published in The Boston Standard, was uncovered by researchers involved in The History Channel’s series Curse of Oak Island, which details the efforts of two brothers from Michigan as they attempt to solve the mystery of the Oak Island treasure and discover historical artifacts believed to be concealed on the island.

J. Hutton Pulitzer, lead researcher and historic investigator, along with academics from the Ancient Artifact Preservation Society, have compiled a paper on the finding, which is scheduled to be published in full in early 2016.

Let me just pause here to say that J. Hutton Pulitzer is an interesting character to say the least. Inventor of the notoriously failed barcode reader, the CueCat (which RadioShack resorted to giving away), the man who was then known by his birth name, J. Jovan Philyaw, is now a treasure hunter and author of books on "forbidden archaeology."

While most treasure hunters have ended up empty handed, a recent revelation points to an incredible, and possibly history-changing, finding. A shipwreck, believed to be Roman, was found off Oak Island, and within the wreck a well-preserved Roman ceremonial sword was retrieved.

Pulitzer told the Boston Standard that the sword was hauled onto a fishing boat decades ago, but was kept secret because the finder and his son feared they would be punished due to strict laws in Nova Scotia regarding retrieving treasures from shipwrecks.

However, relatives of the finder, who is now deceased, recently came forward to reveal the precious sword to researchers.
Pulitzer carried out tests on the sword, using an XRF analyser, which revealed that the sword contained the same metallic properties, with traces of arsenic and lead, that match other Roman artifacts.

According to Pulitzer, the wreck has been located and scanned and though not properly surveyed, he's certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it's definitely Roman. The article also mentions the involvement of Dr. Carl L. Johannessen, Professor Emeritus, University of Oregon (who has a MA in zoology and a PhD in geography).

Other alleged evidence in support of this Roman hypothesis:

- Petroglyphs carved on cave walls and boulders in Nova Scotia by the indigenous Mi’kmaq people, which depict what Pulitzer’s team believe to be Roman soldiers marching with their swords, and Roman ships.
- Fifty words in the Mi’kmaq language that are nautical terms used by mariners from Roman times.
- An invasive species of plant (Berberis Vulgaris) growing on Oak Island and in Halifax, which was once used by Romans to season their food and prevent scurvy on their voyages.
- A Roman legionnaire’s whistle found on Oak Island in 1901
- A metal ‘boss’ from the center of a Roman shield found in Nova Scotia in the mid-1800s
- Gold Roman Carthage coins found on the mainland near Oak Island
- Two carved stones on Oak Island that Pulitzer says displays a language from the ancient Levant.

I'm no expert in metallurgy or marine archaeology (or Roman antiquities or really much of anything non-IT related
) but that sword looks awfully well preserved for supposedly having sat on the bottom of the ocean for 1500 years or so.

What do you think ATS?
edit on 2015-12-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Wow, astonishing find. It certainly provides possible evidence of another pre-Columbus visit in N. America.

Also interesting that it was found on Oak Island, where there have also been Viking artifacts found.

A roman ship sailing around Oak Island, Nova Scotia wayyy back when. Now THAT'S cool

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Look's to have been a highly decorative item, I doubt it got there via the Roman's themselves but could have come via trade as a valuable item, maybe even early Nordic or even as many suspect Phoenician traders.

Still it is one of the most enigmatic sites in the US and who knows just maybe after all most of the documents that the Romans had were lost with the end of there empire and Columbus must have gained his claimed portolon's from somewhere if indeed he did have portolon's showing land to the west so maybe some roman expedition had reached that far it is conceivable though there ship's would have struggled in the Atlantic seas so the voyage would have been extremely treacherous, still they based them on Carthaginian vessels and there is claim the Carthaginians may have reached America over two thousand years ago so?.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

This is a very interesting find. I've always been intrigued by the Oak Island mystery, and believe that the area will produce something that is more than the rumors surrounding it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The Phonecians and Minoams and Amoriteshad colonies here before Rome they were mining copper diring the bronze age.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Although involvement at Oak Island is interesting in itself, the overall concept of ancient voyages to America should not be all that surprising. Many cultures of the past produced competent mariners capable of ocean voyages. The Romans, Phoenicians, Chinese, etc., were all probably here at one time or another. Some of them crashed here permanently. Some of them may have made it back and proclaimed, "We found this land out west" to responses of "Meh?" In other cases there may have been some active trade between Africa and South America, for example.

One big problem with finds like this is provenance. Did a Roman expedition actually drop this sword on Oak Island in 50 BC while on a voyage of discovery? Or did the Templars bring it along with them in 1307 as part of their treasure? Hard to say without corroborative evidence so best not to jump to conclusions about who brought it when.

originally posted by: texasyeti
The Phonecians and Minoams and Amoriteshad colonies here before Rome they were mining copper diring the bronze age.

I've read that somewhere, too, but in that story it was the Romans. Is there any evidence for this, though? Where's the proof for this contention?
edit on 12/17/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

S+F

Thanks for posting. I too was taken in by Oak Island and the mystery that surrounds it. Do you know approximately how far away the shipwreck (where the sword was found), is from the island?

“When you put all these things together and you look at the anomalies, it’s not a coincidence,” Pultizer told the Boston Standard. “The plants, the DNA, the artifacts, the language, the ancient drawings - you have something that deserves to be taken seriously.”

When an artifact is found, where it was discovered is almost as paramount as obtaining the artifact itself. If everything checks out, history will be rewritten once again. Some people need to stop selling us the "complete" version when there is so much more to learn about our past.

edit on 17-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

First, I want to preface that I am no expert, yet I do have a decent background in archeology:

My first thought is that it is too ornate to be Roman.

Here is a link to a site on real Roman sword artifacts.

One thing that you already noted, which can be seen in a comparison is that the artifact from the site has a lot more wear on it and age damage.

HereAdded this site, shows almost all the swords archeologist have found from the roman time period. Nothing on that site looks like the sword either. I just don't think it can reliably be called a roman artifact.

A sword like that looks Celtic or perhaps even Viking in origin, which would fit with the real history of Oak Island.

Interesting story, thanks for posting. I would like to see if this really has any validity to it.

edit on 17-12-2015 by hubrisinxs because: added new website for more proof

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I wish they'd kick this series into high gear ffs

Good show but all they do is talk for the most part...

DIG DAMNIT!!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

This is sweet with a capital ATS.

I'm a believer in what I call the 'Bering straight Hypothesis' where the seas froze after the ice age and allowed for easier travel; That might explain stories about how some artifacts found off the California coast appear to be of Chinese origin. But a roman in a pre Coloumbus America? a tad hard to swallow but I wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I'm sure the Canadian government is trying to decide whether to throw the family in jail or confiscate their worldly possessions. (That's a joke, maybe a half truth

At least the local government backed off of their "renegotiations" and allowed the excavation to continue.

Very interesting indeed! S&F

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: hubrisinxs

Could there have been other "ritualistic" or showpiece Roman swords that were used for ceremonies/decoration? Or could it be the sword from someone of a higher rank/class?

That could explain it - the handle appears to have a person/figure on it.
edit on 17-12-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

That was one of the frist things I looked for and it seems Romans spent more time decorating the sheath of the sword and not its hilt(Check my second link in 1st post). Roman's even in decorative weapons, keep the hilt practical.

Decorative hafts(handles) are more common with the Celtic tradition of decorative swords.

Still, this is a cool artifact. Can't wait till a real expert does some credible test on the weapon.

My big hope is that it is not a total fake.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Super long time lurker.
Try the book Atlantis in Wisconsin
www.goodreads.com...

I've been a follower of oak island for 40 years
never did I think of the Romans being there.

it would seems to me now that the Romans may, may have. Then perhaps the tree and pit where actually the result of someone getting the treasure out. Thus tripping the booby traps.

As a child in the 1920s my dad lived in the Northwest Wisconsin. He found a very old Roman or Roman style coin. I can't find it now. He got it while plowing.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The sword itself proves nothing, as it has been removed from its alleged location destroying its provenance there is no way of knowing, if it came from there, or was purchased to make it look as if it came from there, no amount of tests proving it to be a genuine sword can now help with its credibility. I think its rather convenient that its finder has since died.

However, the claim that there is a Roman ship needs investigating it, if true it would rewrite history.
But from what I can see, the only person claiming "Roman ship" is the long dead fisherman, who didn't know anything about Roman ships or swords...
I don't think they will find the ship, so they're going to make all the claims based on a sword which will be meaningless to veracity, but might sell a few more TV episodes
But having a professor of geography along for credibility is hardly useful.

This claim of Hutton Pulitzer stinks of BS

“The shipwreck is still there and has not been worked,” said Pulitzer. “We have scanned it, we know exactly where it lays, but it will be a touchy thing for the Nova Scotia government to allow an archaeological team to survey it. We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is Roman.

They have scanned it, presumably with side scan sonar, which is the last tool in the world which would reveal a ships identity and in the latter part of the quote, he's already formulating an excuse as to why they will be unable to ever dive on it. Because the government won't let them. So I'm calling shenanigans on this
Made up bull# based on a sword which was most likely purchased on the antiquities market

edit on 17-12-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
J. Hutton Pulitzer, formerly known as Jeffry Jovan Philyaw, is a fraud and a failure at everything he has done in the past. He makes up extraordinary claims with little to no evidence to back them up.

He was recently on History Channels "The Curse of Oak Island" and, based on his ridiculous performance and the nonsense he spewed, was asked to leave and not return.

Even Scott Wolter, from "America Unearthed" doesn't particularly like him or his theories.

That and the guy just gives me the creeps. Something about him just isn't "right".

Having said that, I am open minded enough to wait and see what this supposed "white paper" he is publishing actually says and what evidence he presents to back up his theories. I do believe that the New World was discovered long before Columbus, perhaps even by the Romans or the Greeks.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There was some interesting finds a while back with Templar markings dating back to the 1500's found in Wisconsin I believe. I am not sure what came of that report, but I do remember it. There has been some good stuff pointing to North America being visited by many different cultures "pre Columbus". A theory is that templars joined with vikings to escape the issues they were faced with at the time.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Almost Everybody was here before Columbus. Where do you think the abundance of copper was coming from for all those countries. Why are there so many types of Indians here in the USA? Where did the Indians come from, not over the land bridge. Look up the history of the Lenope Indians. They were not from here, they came over the ice from greenland to settle where their relatives lived. Where did their relatives come from, ships of course that settled the Eastern shores and traded with the Indians.

The Ojibwa have genetics from the Gaza Mountains, how did they get here. There were even farmers already settled here in America when the settlers came on in, coming down from Canada. Our whole history is a mess of lies made to make claim to this continent. The Indians spoke old English in vermont, a version generations removed from the old English language.
this is in the history documents of this country.

The English layed claim to the area of the US because they went to court to prove that some of those in their commonwealth had settled there years before. It was the Norwegians who were here long before Columbus and the Old English actually moved to Norway after a natural catastrophe around 600 AD. So the Old English were here also. The Old English were a different people than the anglo-saxons who conquered the sparcly populated England after the place was destroyed. That is in ancient records too. If people actually search for these records before believing what the victors history says, they would find they exist.

Why is it that Columbus discovered America? Because some people of the colonial times who wanted to break away from England, most regular people did not really care...they paid taxes either way....they decided to change history back to Columbus discovering America because Spain was helping them fight the English. The English took Spain to court when they said they discovered America and the international court ruled that England's Norway had rights to it and colonized it very long before. Yes, there are records of this also. So we went to war with Spain after they helped us get away from England. Our forefathers were some unloyal people I guess.

Whoever is the victor makes the history. Oh well, they will have Columbus discovering America in our history books for another twenty years I suppose and Columbus day as a paid holiday as a reward for believing in that deception. We are taught it is rewarding to believe in lies from a young age...Santa, the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Politicians, etc...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Once again Marduk nails it.

The dagger is all but useless unless you find a matching one or similar in the wreck. Same with alot of the findings, you can drop something you bought out of your pocket and claim to find it all day. You need archaeological context.

The bronze sword shaped object definately looks celtic with the pareidolic hilt. Single cast bronzes are celtic through and through, but Ive seen roman bitz that are similar single cast bronzes, but the figure on the handle was not symetrical

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Uh, I'm with you; I've been following the COI with great interest.

Not anymore. With the last episode and the half baked nut job claiming that Aztec treasure was buried on Oak Island, I gave up.

There's nothing buried on Oak Island; there's no Roman ship wreck and the sword, even if real was planted in the vicinity or some crackpot bought it on the black market and is pedling it from fame.

The real problem with Nova Scotia and that whole area is that those people have absolutely nothing to do except fish and farm 3 months they can. The rest of the time their drunk and make up wild stories about Roslyn Chapel and the Aztecs.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join