It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have had enough of this PC culture!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: Abysha

UM...
weren't the death threats due to "political correctness?"

Or should I say, what was perceived as a lack of?

So... you are willing to admit that the Planned Parenthood shooting is a result of "conservative correctness"?

If the guy who did it was perfectly sane, and stated clearly that his actions were a direct result of conservative correctness, then yes I would agree with that. But he was insane and not representative of the entire conservative population.

More to the point, changing the focus to a conservative does not answer the original question of were the death threats resulting from this photograph due to political correctness.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

You're sick of PC culture? Well I'm sick of people whining about a supposed PC culture. Grow up.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Wow.
First of all, what does that shooting have to do with this thread. It wasn't about political correctness.

It was about a bat S**) crazy man, that could not handle critical thinking when it came to seeing something either on TV or the internet. (the edited videos, according to him)

And I don't see everything as a left or right problem. I see it as a person problem. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions or thoughts.
Let's blame someone or something else

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

So it has to be a direct statement?

How many people are saying they are doing this directly because of PC?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

It's a bit like getting angry over the slave Leia doll because she was in chains.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

UM...

So... you are willing to admit that the Planned Parenthood shooting is a result of "conservative correctness"?

If the guy who did it was perfectly sane, and stated clearly that his actions were a direct result of conservative correctness, then yes I would agree with that. But he was insane and not representative of the entire conservative population.

More to the point, changing the focus to a conservative does not answer the original question of were the death threats resulting from this photograph due to political correctness.

Oh my crap, this conversation is so stupid. Of course he was insane. ANYBODY who gives a death threat or shoots people is insane. That is my point.

That shooting can just as easily be blamed on conservative correctness as these death threats are blamed on political correctness. These people are insane, case closed. If the case is opened, I would blame conservatives for crap like that. I'm not stupid, I know that's not what ultimately caused an insane person to shoot up an abortion clinic just like I know you know that sane people under the influence of political correctness do not give death threats.

edit on 17-12-2015 by Abysha because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think I am average,maybe below average, and slightly stupid.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Again, you can say that about anything. Everything is subjective. There is no such thing as "valid criticism and invalid criticism".

All criticism is a display of subjective standards of some sort. That's the whole point of criticism!

That's utter nonsense. Copper conducts electricity. Is that subjective?

There's no such thing as valid or invalid criticism? What if it's completely false? What if it's a lie? If a criticism is marred with lie, fallacy, lack of evidence and illogical conclusions, it is invalid.

As a matter of fact, Alan Bloom in his The Closing of the American Mind blamed PC on the sort of relativism and postmodernism you're espousing. Perhaps he was right all along.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
That's utter nonsense. Copper conducts electricity. Is that subjective?

No, it is not subjective. Nor is it criticism.

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
As a matter of fact, Alan Bloom in his The Closing of the American Mind blamed PC on the sort of relativism and postmodernism you're espousing. Perhaps he was right all along.

His book was, in large part, a critique on relativism espoused from a subjective standpoint. By your rationale, The Closing of the American Mind is "invalid" criticism.

"The American university in the sixties was experiencing the same dismantling of the structure of rational inquiry as had the German university in the thirties ... Whether it be Nuremberg or Woodstock, the principle is the same."

Yeah, no hyperbole there; just facts, right?

You can't say that all subjective criticism is invalid then come up with exceptions. You can't say that all criticism based on things other than unambiguous fact is invalid and then come up with exceptions. If this is the case, then your entire criticism of "PC culture" is invalid. Are those the rules by which you really want to judge criticism? Because if you applied that universally, we would live in a very boring world filled with thought police.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

No, it is not subjective. Nor is it criticism.

Then why would you say this: “Again, you can say that about anything. Everything is subjective. There is no such thing as "valid criticism and invalid criticism".

Because as we both agree, it is flat out wrong.

His book was, in large part, a critique on relativism espoused from a subjective standpoint. By your rationale, The Closing of the American Mind is "invalid" criticism.

valid |ˈvaləd|
adjective
(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent: a valid criticism.

He is not appealing to his subjectivity or emotions to form his conclusions, but observation, reason, experience and evidence. Sure he may have been offended, which is fine, but he doesn’t say I’m offended and start calling the students names. He inquires further. He uses examples. He uses logic. He uses facts. He puts together an argument. He might speak about his feelings every now and then, but at least he doesn’t confuse them with the world, nor does he berate others for not feeling the same way.

Yeah, no hyperbole there; just facts, right?

You can't say that all subjective criticism is invalid then come up with exceptions. You can't say that all criticism based on things other than unambiguous fact is invalid and then come up with exceptions. If this is the case, then your entire criticism of "PC culture" is invalid. Are those the rules by which you really want to judge criticism? Because if you applied that universally, we would live in a very boring world filled with thought police.

I didn’t make an exception. I also never said subjective criticism is invalid. I explicitly said: “Claiming something is offensive is invalid given the subjectivity of what is offensive.” Straw man. Misrepresentation of my arguments. Invalid.

If you have not read the book, you have no way of knowing whether it is valid or not. One tiny quote doesn’t refute a whole book. Give it a shot; it’s a good read.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

So shouldn't they be investigating those that threatened her with death threats?

Retarded Nation ---I'm surprised we have lasted this long. The Law makers are lawless and create more lawlessness with Law

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I didn't notice what it meant until someone said what it was. Then I understood somewhat. I think though both men and woman complaint or can talk your ear off. Both can be obnoxious or wearing.

Maybe it's extroverts who need the tape because introverts typically seem to be more self-absorbed? Or mentally deranged. Or it's just harder to get across a more complex idea in normal conversation. It doens't carry well and it gets dismissed and so you learn to say nothing.
edit on 12/17/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I believe the picture is causing so much strife because of the cognitive dissonance it creates in people who view it.
It's backwards you see, the peace on earth sign is right side up but everything else is wrong & it creates subconscious confusion.

For there to be peace on earth the males need to be muzzled & bridled with the females standing over their beasts of burden.

K~

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So it has to be a direct statement?

How many people are saying they are doing this directly because of PC?

If you are going to blame the entire conservative base for the actions of one person then yes, it has to be a direct tie and attributable to their influence. Otherwise, there isn't much point to say it at all. Which is kind of what I was saying to begin with...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

UM...

Oh my crap, this conversation is so stupid. Of course he was insane. ANYBODY who gives a death threat or shoots people is insane. That is my point.

That shooting can just as easily be blamed on conservative correctness as these death threats are blamed on political correctness. These people are insane, case closed. If the case is opened, I would blame conservatives for crap like that. I'm not stupid, I know that's not what ultimately caused an insane person to shoot up an abortion clinic just like I know you know that sane people under the influence of political correctness do not give death threats.

Then your point is completely wrong.

Not everyone who commits murder is insane. There is such a thing as a cold blooded killer. There are people who plan and carry out crimes including murder all the time, and for a stunning variety of reasons to no reason at all. To say they are all insane is a lie. It would be nice to believe we lived in a world where only the insane would do such a thing, but we do not.
edit on 17-12-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join