It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What America Thinks: Is the Government After Your Guns?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
To me, this is great news. America is waking up.

Only 1 in 5 Americans think that Military and Police only should have firearms. That is still way too many but at least they are in the minority. Disturbing that almost half (well 44%) think that there will be a drive for confiscation.

Rasmussen:

www.rasmussenreports.com...

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

What America Thinks: Is the Government After Your Guns?

Despite the pressure for more gun control from President Obama and others, gun sales set a single-day record on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It seems Americans are more interested in exercising their gun rights than giving them up. But what does America really think about guns?

Americans are more supportive than they have been in the past of their constitutional right to bear arms. They remain closely divided over the need for more gun control but still tend to oppose it.

Perhaps that’s because just 38% think more gun control will keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn’t have them. Fifty-one percent (51%) think it will just make it harder for law-abiding citizens to buy a gun. Sizable majorities have said for years that the government needs to enforce the gun laws already on the books instead.

A big problem for supporters of more gun control is that only 26% of Americans trust the government to fairly enforce gun control laws.

edit on Thu Dec 17 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

There would literally be a second "civil" war if they tried gun confiscation in the US. (I put civil in quotes because there is nothing civil about war).

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Lets just hope for everyone's sake, they make the wiser of choices.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Good news.

Can we put this gun control conspiracy to rest now?

Just by looking at the numbers, even may Leftists agree with the 2nd amendment right.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Here's the normal answer....

if we are in a normal ...innocent age, the answer is no their not gonna come after what our fathers told us about when we were young, " if they register your guns the next step Hitler took was to go to each address and get them."

If we are entertaining sorry , metro non-thinking leaders, and if all hope of seeing common sense
logic is shot in the azz.....( that's how we talk here in Texas...)....and if the aforementioned shrimpy....wimpeckered individuals whom are unencumbered by the thought process, have approached the U N to try and outlaw gun ownership....then the answer is GOOD GAWD YA'LL....let me off at the next stop....ST. Peter

edit on 16-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The fairly new and illegal Obamacare program includes gun confiscation, by railroading the unaware into eliminating their own gun rights without even knowing they have done so, if they answer any question on new mandatory doctor's office surveys, which ask questions about mental health, or new drug prescription agreements that add language making you a risk to society, which warrants monitoring and patient cooperation by filling out surveys and phone call reporting if you become unstable and turn into a gun toting drugged up psycho.

How many are going to go berserk, and call the doctor first, before going on a rampage, which they feel before the fact, would validate this illegal rights infringement? I

Answering yes to questions like "Have you gotten in an argument at home within the last 30 days?"

Will then add your name into the NCIC federal database in a manner which a background check will come back with a DENY response. (A 50 dollar fee will then be due at your expense to the gun dealer). Plus 2 grand or more for a lawyer to reinstate your rights

And there is no information on those surveys that mentions anything at all about it. There are more than one survey, and the question above is on a form you must fill out if you are given any pain medication or narcotic. That means the doctor is saying he can't fix you, but here, take these band aids and excuse our lack of medical knowledge instead, but now blame the patient for what they can't cure or treat, making the patient liable for condescending treatment from government authority by trying to make them lowly and unreliable, and dangerous, because they gave you drugs for something they can't do anything for.

And the doctor and staff know exactly that by you filling out the forms, if you respond in any way positive answers to the questions, you lose your gun rights without having done anything illegal, but the staff won't tell you any of that.

There is another survey which uses other factors to do the same thing, and these are now a mandatory part of the health care system.

Gun confiscation by taking them away, before you try to go buy one. Just by arguing with your spouse LOL

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I am starting to get a little glassy look in my eye, because what does it even matter anymore?

If I would believe the wildly embraced ideas of what the absence of guns would mean for the US.
It would be somewhere between a failed state riddled by drug cartels and a dictatorial oligarchy.... so just to go hyperbolic here. Either the gov is going to do that very rapidly with the long promised civil war in its wake, or they are going to slowly disarm you over the next 50 years, but I am not seeing the US populace staying docile for that long a time.... so.... who is winning here? US politics seems to be so corrupt and far removed from the ideals of the founding fathers that it would take a second American Revolution anyway to really turn things around.

What I am meaning to say is do not worry to much about it. Either the government has already won, or the populace will rise up and set things straight or at least that is what they think they will be doing

Kind Regards

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I am as convinced as it gets that guns are a truly terrible idea that got completely out of hand here in the USA. They are a designed-for-one-purpose killing machine that statistically cause much more crime than prevent it, aid in more family deaths than family protection, and are cloaked in NRA corporate brainwashing. Your guns won't protect you from the government, won't stop an enemy invasion, and are the by-product of a complete misinterpretation and re-writing of the 2nd amendment. All of this propped up by the worst emotions... fear, machismo, isolationism.

And all that said... I don't think for one second that the government is coming for your guns or that a gun grab would be a good idea. No one that I know that shares my opinion does either. Don't worry. It's not going to happen. Why bother debating. There is zero evidence that it is going to happen. This is an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory if I've ever seen one. Did I mention fear?

Almost forgot... go ahead & flame on. Despite my take, I'm not your enemy. But I know how mad the gun folk here at ATS get at the mere suggestion that guns are a bad idea. It's one of the few topics where there is a complete inability to look at our gun-culture from the outside.
edit on 17-12-2015 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
If it looks like going down, invest in some 4 foot lengths of 4 inch poly pipe for drainage guttering and 2 end caps because it will become invaluable in storing your long arms underground. How do I know this ? back in 96 ( Australian Gun Buy Back year ) in Queensland you couldn't buy the stuff it was in such demand and stores run out quickly.
edit on 17-12-2015 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Yeah, I do think the government (Obama specifically) is out to create more common sense gun regulations in the US... Don't even think his hiding the fact.

But just to stay true to fact, it should be noted that total gun confiscation is a myth, born by paranoid fanatics... It's still totally possible for people to legally obtain a gun in countries that have strict gun regulations.

In fact, the US only has a 33% household gun ownership rate, yet there's estimated to be over 300 million guns in the US. Which just goes to show that the 'majority' of Americans feel they have no reason to own a gun, yet there is a large amount of hardcore fanatics that own a whole lot of guns!

Even in Australia, where we are considered to have a highly restrictive gun policy, we could easily have a higher household gun ownership rate of 33%, if people felt so inclined to pursue the legal ownership of a gun.

But the cold hard fact that Americans really do have to face eventually, is that 'there is obviously a significant problem with the ease of obtaining guns in the US'....

No other developed country has mass shootings as regularly as the US, no other country has the same gun murder rate either. Yet all other developed countries have drug, mental illness and poverty rates that are comparable to the US.

You can stick your head in the sand like an ostrich for as long as you want... But eventually it all comes back to the same reality, the ease of legally purchasing guns in the US has just lead to criminals having far easier access to them and given seriously unstable people an easy way to unleash total destruction on innocent people.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
To me, this is great news. America is waking up.

Only 1 in 5 Americans think that Military and Police only should have firearms. That is still way too many but at least they are in the minority. Disturbing that almost half (well 44%) think that there will be a drive for confiscation.

After all, 65% of Americans think the purpose of the Second Amendment is to make sure that people are able to protect themselves from tyranny.

Perhaps its because more people has read here as I have, or elsewhere, that Americians are 29 times more liekly to killed by a cop than by a terroist.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Yeah probably, and I'm not supporting cops shooting citizens in anyway shape or form... But wouldn't Americans be like "29 times more likely" to be carrying a gun in the first place?

So just goes to commonsense that there more likely to be shot by an on edge paranoid police officer... just saying.

Its that whole, more guns... less safe, reality.
edit on 17-12-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
If it looks like going down, invest in some 4 foot lengths of 4 inch poly pipe for drainage guttering and 2 end caps because it will become invaluable in storing your long arms underground. How do I know this ? back in 96 ( Australian Gun Buy Back year ) in Queensland you couldn't buy the stuff it was in such demand and stores run out quickly.

That's so hilarious, my buddy in Australia told me he buried his guns when the gov came for them, I thought he was saying it jokingly. I guess he was literal.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Is the Government After Your Guns?

I think that certain parts of the govt., if they could, would come after the guns legally possessed by American citizens.

All in the name of public safety, of course. They'd couch it in words meant to appeal to our need to see our children safe. Or, our streets safer. Our schools. Any number of things would suddenly, miraculously, become safer.

In, and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with those sentiments...not a thing. But to think that taking my firearms, and good luck with that, by the way; will in some way accomplish that is ludicrous in the extreme.

But, at least for the moment, they can't. Mostly because they know that they're being watched. By people like me, who won't hesitate a heartbeat to let my feelings be known about any attempt at confiscation.

Speaking only for myself, no child on Earth is in danger from me, much less my firearms. No street is in danger from me. Nor a school.
edit on 12/17/2015 by seagull because: punctuation, and spelling...

edit on 12/17/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Yeah probably, and I'm not supporting cops shooting citizens in anyway shape or form... But wouldn't Americans be like "29 times more likely" to be carrying a gun in the first place?

So just goes to commonsense that there more likely to be shot by an on edge paranoid police officer... just saying.

Its that whole, more guns... less safe, reality.

Fair point, but cops could do a lot more to difuse a situation, and talk people down as opposed to treating people like they are a war enemy and blow them away.

There was a time in my country where cops would spend all day and all night talking a hostage taker down rather than do what they do now which is simply kill em because its quicker and easier.

Only in the last day or two here was a commeration of the hostage sitution in Sydney this time last year and all they did was praise the police or soldiers whatever they were.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Put yourself in the hostage situation. Do you want the police to talk him down or take him out?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Put yourself in the hostage situation. Do you want the police to talk him down or take him out?

To my way of thinking there is a good chance of living and being skilled either way but I have a better chance of survival by the cops talking the bloke down because the history of such approaches in times gone by is that the consensus of opinion during that era was that the talk down method was quite successful in Australia and New Zealand, that I know of.

In most all such instances, in those days the situation arose out of domestic disputes or robberies. By giving the bloke time and help to wind down, they were able end the siege without anyone being harmed.

These days as we now know they go in blow em away because its cheaper and quicker. After all, bad guys are subhuman anyway aren't they?

new topics

top topics

join