It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Massive ISIS attack on Turkish military camp in Iraq, 70 soldiers missing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

More than 70 Turkish servicemen have been reported missing after an Islamic State artillery attack in northern Iraq, according to Iraqi Kurdish media. The Slemani Times reports that Islamic State (IS, former ISIS/ISIL) fired over 300 120mm mortar shells at the Turkish camp in Bashiqa area about 23 kilometers from the city of Mosul occupied by IS.

The Turkish military installation in northern Iraq has become a major stumbling block in relations between Ankara and Baghdad. While Turkey claimed the troops had been deployed at the invitation of the Iraqi government, Baghdad denied the claims and filed a complaint with the UN Security Council, dubbing Ankara’s actions an incursion.

This news is just breaking. Actually I am quite surprised that ISIS attacked the camp. I was expecting Iraqi military to do the honors. I have a feeling this could be a false flag, consdering how Turkey and ISIS, according to the Russians, are buddies.

link
edit on 16/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The Turkish military installation in northern Iraq has become a major stumbling block in relations between Ankara and Baghdad.
a reply to: asen_y2k

Apparently that stumbling block has been removed.

What a coincidence.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

The Turkish military installation in northern Iraq has become a major stumbling block in relations between Ankara and Baghdad.

What a coincidence.

I have a feeling this 'incident' will be used to bring in more troops.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Breaking: Massive ISIS attack on Turkish military camp in Iraq, 70 soldiers missing

Well awfully thoughtful of ISIS to legitimize Turkey's invasion of Iraq. And everyone says they're such horrible people. *shrugs* maybe just misunderstood?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Biting the hand that feeds them? Odd. Now there is reason for Turkish presence I suppose as others have said.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If it is ISIS that are attacking the Turks.

I am pondering an idea that The Turks might have been sent in to clean up the connection between Turkey and ISIS and ISIS fighters in that area do not want to be sacrificed.

Can also be a false flag or some locals/mercs that now is called ISIS.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Bad bad bad Turks , always upto no good , eh ?

DAESH sells the Turkmen women & children just same but don't let that little fact obscure the bad , bad , bad Turk who is never up to no good .

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
How do Isis even have any 120mm artillery pieces left? All that airpower and yet they can still launch an attack like that?

This whole mess is just a bunch of phoney crap.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I am at something of a loss to understand why Turkey would have inserted itself into a base camp inside Iraq. To counter the Kurds?

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Orchestration by Turkey, so they can say, 'look we are victims of ISIS too, and not sympathisers.'

Hence why they are missing and not dead bodies...

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I am at something of a loss to understand why Turkey would have inserted itself into a base camp inside Iraq. To counter the Kurds?

You are at a loss because you don't know few things about Turks & Kurds.

Saddam was an Arab and remember what happened in Halepce ?

Turks are out in Iraq to protect the Kurds who are loyal to Turkey . Obviously the uptake is that the local Kurds & Turks will enjoy the spoils of Oilfields .

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
Orchestration by Turkey, so they can say, 'look we are victims of ISIS too, and not sympathisers.'

Hence why they are missing and not dead bodies...

There are no missing soldiers just 4 injured .
edit on 16-12-2015 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

What about the 70+ unaccounted for Turkish soldiers?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

What about the 70+ unaccounted for Turkish soldiers?

fiction of someone's imaginaton so far .

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

There seems to be parts to the story that don't square in my mind . The WSJ reported about the withdrawal here www.wsj.com...

In the piece they say " Turkey prompted a furor two weeks ago when it sent in hundreds of troops and a few dozen tanks to the Bashika base just north of Mosul, which has been controlled by Islamic State since it seized the major city 18 months ago.

While Turkish officials initially cast the move as a routine troop rotation that was approved by Iraqi leaders, Baghdad officials demanded that Turkey immediately withdraw."

Question ..If ISIS had the base is there any reports of the Turkish troops fighting to capture it ?

In the same piece it says "Turkey has about 1,000 troops at the disputed base. Turkish leaders said they needed to send in the armored tanks to provide protection for Turkish troops based close to Islamic State strongholds to the south. American officials have urged Turkey to coordinate its military moves with Baghdad, but stopped short of calling for their withdrawal from Iraq."

The piece starts with "Turkey pulled a small military convoy out of a training base in northern Iraq " So they are claiming 1000 and a small convey pulled out and now they have 70 missing from the attack on close to 1000 there with ...." in hundreds of troops and a few dozen tanks " is anyone else having a hard time painting a picture with the info in this and the info in the OP ...?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Question ..If ISIS had the base is there any reports of the Turkish troops fighting to capture it ?

Sure there are reports ; Turkish PM has given a press conference too .

Başbakan Davutoğlu'ndan Başika açıklaması 16 Aralık 2015 Çarşamba, 21:22:21Güncelleme: 22:22:48 Başbakan Ahmet Davutoğlu, DAEŞ'in Başika kampına yönelik saldırısına ilişkin, "Bu gelişme bizim attığımız adımların haklılığını ortaya koydu. Buradaki mevcudiyetimiz tamamıyla Irak'ın toprak bütünlüğü çerçevesindedir" dedi

Davutoglu says Daesh positions have been destroyed.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

The Turkish military installation in northern Iraq has become a major stumbling block in relations between Ankara and Bagbhdad.

What a coincidence.

I have a feeling this 'incident' will be used to bring in more troops.]

I have a gut feeling that you are right. Turkey will be expected to escalate the situation... not good.
edit on 16-12-2015 by onthedownlow because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2015 by onthedownlow because: i messed up the quote and i dont know how to fix it, sorry

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I was asking for reports of the Turks fighting to take it away from ISIS . What you gave was after the fact of Turkey gaining the base and is way past when reports would have been ,or should have been reported . You link has todays news of the attack . I want news that has to go back a few weeks when they initially took possession of the base .

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: onthedownlow

It fits well with this piece .....

Calling Islamic extremism a disease, Saudi Arabia has announced the formation of a coalition of 34 predominately Muslim nations to fight terrorism.
"This announcement comes from the Islamic world's vigilance in fighting this disease so it can be a partner, as a group of countries, in the fight against this disease," Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman said.
The coalition's joint operations center will be based in Riyadh.

In addition to Saudi Arabia, the coalition will include Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Turkey, Chad, Togo, Tunisia, Djibouti, Senegal, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Gabon, Guinea, the Palestinians, Comoros, Qatar, Cote d'Ivoire, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Maldives, Mali, Malaysia, Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria and Yemen.
www.moonofalabama.org... I noticed that Turkey was on this proxy coalition . There are a few on the list that are claiming that it's news to them .... go figure eh .

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

What a coincidence.

I have a feeling this 'incident' will be used to bring in more troops.

Not U.S. troops the Kenyan Communist has a policy no boots on the ground.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join