It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA released this stunning image of a phytoplankton bloom in the North Atlantic from September.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I guess NASA takes a while to actually sift through the thousands of picture they take from space, imagine finding this gem!

It may look like a painting by Vincent van Gogh, but this mass of swirling colors is really a satellite image depicting a huge bloom of phytoplankton, or microscopic marine plant life, in the waters of the North Atlantic Ocean

LiveScience

I find it amazing how such small creatures can almost link up to make one super organism, collectively they can be seen from space (obviously)
But, it's also amazing how these little guys are almost the start of the food chain on the earth level, and they thrive off sunlight, much like plants do.
Apparently they give off a sort of spray, which we are seeing, and drift away. But something that we see here is rather rare do to weather patterns for time of year it happens in.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The oceans are an amazing place. In the uk, I think its about march/april the sea smells horrid as all last years rotting growth mixes with the water, the fishermen call it "Gully water", but after a few weeks its gone and everything is fresh and new again. I wonder if that is visible from space?

Then, during the summer we get that stuff that cause disturbed water to glow green. I've spent a few nights on the sea watching this amazing event. Sitting on deck on an anchored boat on a calm night allows one to see whenever anything moves on the surface because of the green glow. Start the engine and the prop causes the water to light up, it looks just like a huge underwater flashlight has been switched on.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Imagine sailing through that back when sea exploration was in its infancy...it'd scare the hell out of me in such a beautiful way.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
I guess NASA takes a while to actually sift through the thousands of picture they take from space, imagine finding this gem!

It may look like a painting by Vincent van Gogh, but this mass of swirling colors is really a satellite image depicting a huge bloom of phytoplankton, or microscopic marine plant life, in the waters of the North Atlantic Ocean

LiveScience

I find it amazing how such small creatures can almost link up to make one super organism, collectively they can be seen from space (obviously)
But, it's also amazing how these little guys are almost the start of the food chain on the earth level, and they thrive off sunlight, much like plants do.
Apparently they give off a sort of spray, which we are seeing, and drift away. But something that we see here is rather rare do to weather patterns for time of year it happens in.

Beautiful photo, my love for.nature and it's course is endless ♡

Regarding your comment "I find it amazing how such small creatures can almost link up to make one super organism" ..

Ever look in the mirror friend?

You..are..literally...a form of consciousness living in a body that is built/held together by TRILLIONS of creatures, organs, fluids, cells, bacteria ... all powered by the 4 elements; earth (food), water (liquids), fire (heat coursing your internal body), air (breath).

You should be amazed at yourself! We are mini-universes co-existing inside of a universe!

As above, so below, as within, so without

edit on 15-12-2015 by Elementalist because: Typo

edit on 15-12-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

top topics

join