It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge orders Christian pastor to study Islam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
A striking court decision by a judge in Massachusetts.

A woman minister who was (apparently) convicted of a crime for pushing a tenant down some stairs where she is the landlord.

Now a judge orders the woman to take some kind of classes about Islam.

I guess that will do the trick eh.

The case is going to the Massachusetts Supreme Court for possible Constitutional Rights violations ..... violations of the woman's rights, not the Muslim tenant(s).

The original fight was over heat and electricity and about the tenant "family" have as many as 15 people living there.

More Irony.

On Sunday, the Associated Press reported that Daisy Obi, a 73-year-old ordained minister from Nigeria who pastors the Adonai Bible Center in Somerville, Massachusetts, was ordered to take an introductory course in Islam after she was convicted of pushing her Muslim tenant down a flight of stairs.

“I want you to learn about the Muslim faith,” the judge said. “I want you to enroll and attend an introductory course on Islam.

“I do want you to understand people of the Muslim faith, and they need to be respected. They may worship Allah … but they need to be respected.”

Judge orders Christian pastor to study Islam

another story from AP....
Court To Review Judge’s Order Forcing Woman To Learn Islam

Who is "Right" this time?

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
CBS - Court To Review Judge’s Order Forcing Woman To Learn Islam

Suliman testified that about a month after she moved in, Obi stood on the stairs outside Suliman’s apartment screaming anti-Muslim insults.

The following month, while Suliman was taking her baby out of the car, she said Obi yelled anti-Muslim sentiments at her other children.

Then, about a month later, Suliman said Obi accused her of ringing her doorbell, shouted at her and pushed her. Suliman said she fell backward down 15 to 20 stairs, hitting her face on the banister, cutting her lip and tearing a ligament in her shoulder.

1. Taking a secular course ABOUT a religion is not the same thing as taking part in a religion — by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Obi was sentenced to two years. The judge gave the option of taking a class in lieu of serving 75% of the sentence.
edit on 2015-12-14 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Good, if the roles were reversed I would support the Muslim learning about Christianity.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Great...about as effective as telling your son to apologize to his sibling for screwing around...

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
As mentioned by someone else, taking a course on a religion is not the same as forcing someone to attend a religious service or follow any kind of religious faith.

I am looking for more sources on this because OPs source is terrible. But it appears she was given the option in lieu of a harsher sentence, it also appears that anti-Muslim sentiment by the landlord, tied with physical violence, means that it could be charged and prosecuted as a hate crime. Not sure if that info is in there, but Im looking elsewhere as mentioned.

Any hate crime, or any crime bordering on hate crime, it makes complete sense to have someone take a 'sensitivity training' type course. Whether its women's rights, A course explaining the tenets of Muslim or Christianity, or a course explaining that homosexuals are mammals-humans in fact-and not animals, etc

Will come back shortly with an edit

EDIT: This could easily be charged as a hate crime.

Suliman testified that about a month after she moved in, Obi stood on the stairs outside Suliman’s apartment screaming anti-Muslim insults.

The following month, while Suliman was taking her baby out of the car, she said Obi yelled anti-Muslim sentiments at her other children.

Then, about a month later, Suliman said Obi accused her of ringing her doorbell, shouted at her and pushed her. Suliman said she fell backward down 15 to 20 stairs, hitting her face on the banister, cutting her lip and tearing a ligament in her shoulder.

boston.cbslocal.com...

The constitutional argument is complete bollocks, and just a ploy by her lawyers, BUT, given the law is the law, it deserves to be heard. As the prosecutor states (and I tend to agree), a course on learning the merits of Islam, is NOT forcing someone or coercing them to take up another religion. This is no different than a guy having to take sensitivity training and a sexual assault prevention program because he was caught slapping his smoking hot co-workers ass:

Obi’s lawyer argues the probation condition that she learn about the Muslim faith “burdens Dr. Obi’s free exercise of religion.”

“It is beyond dispute that the Constitution guarantees that the government may not coerce anyone to support or participate in religion or its exercise,” attorney Kimberly Peterson wrote in a legal brief.

Prosecutors argued in their brief that the order to take a course on Islam is not coercive because it does not require her to adopt a religious practice or to attend a Muslim religious service, but merely to educate herself.

“We’re not requiring her to embrace any (religious) principles. We’re requiring her to learn about them,” Blecker said.

Still, she says she opposes it on religious grounds. Not sure how that argument has merit, unless learning about a religion can infect the person learning, or there are Islam-COoties out there, to which the general population is unaware of.

Still, Im not sure why it's even being contested, she was offered a 2 year sentence, but suspended IF she chose to go along with the course in Muslim studies.

Also, an interesting fact is that there are already two harassment orders against her.

Sentencing Obi last year, Judge Paul Yee Jr called Obi “the landlord from hell” after pointing out that she had harassment prevention orders issued against her by two other tenants

As for the 'non information' which I think has already been brought up, and certainly will, it sounds like the landlord is a slumlord:

Suliman complained about the heat and electricity not always working, while Obi complained Suliman appeared to have 12 to 15 people living in the apartment at one point.

As for having 12-15 people living in the building... This is how a lot of immigrant families do it. I know 2nd, 3rd and longer generational children like to make fun of immigrants for this "It's a Paki-house dude, like 20 people living in there hurr durr", the reality is immigrants do not have the 'keeping up with the Jones's" mentality that generational families have. Kids and young adults don't think its cool living with parents. But the smartest thing for a family, is how a lot of Chinese and East Indian people in my area do it, they live 10-15 to a house, or apartment at first, buy and pay off the first house for the eldest, then for the newlyweds, later for the parents. Instead of a 30 year mortgage with high interest, they get a 5 year term, with 5 year amortization, sometimes less, and in a couple years its paid off and the next one is ready to go. In 30 years time, when a chump-state-side-born "cool kid" grows up, probably refinanced and still hasn't paid off their first home, this immigrant family, all 15 of them all own their own estates. It's just a smart way of doing things. It's not really something to turn your nose at.

He sentenced her to two years in jail on the assault and battery charge for pushing Suliman but required her to serve only six months, with the remaining 18 months suspended if she complied with certain probation conditions.

She's not being forced at all, so long as she chooses to serve time.

edit on 14-12-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
All muslims migrating to the US should be required to take a course about Christianity. It will help them understand......

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They wont be forced to enter the US. They dont have to take the course if they would rather not and not enter

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
All muslims migrating to the US should be required to take a course about Christianity. It will help them understand......

Why America isn't a Christian nation. Our laws are not based on the Christian faith you seem to have America confused with Vatican city.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Why America isn't a Christian nation. Our laws are not based on the Christian faith you seem to have America confused with Vatican city.

but but but

Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Most of the rest, 13 percent, have no religion. That leaves just 4 percent as adherents of all non-Christian religions combined — Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and a smattering of individual mentions.

Poll: Most Americans Say They're Christian

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wasnt that George Washington that , after becoming president , led congress down wall street to ground zero to the tiny church next to where the twin towers once were, and lead them all in prayer? Was there not even a warning in his prayer as to what would happen if this country turned against God? There is your homework assignment. I will grade you when it is turned in. No dog ate my homework story will be accepted. Read also about the tree in that tiny courtyard of the church, that was hit by the tower beam and uprooted, and its significance. I think it was there when washington was. It was a parallel to what King Soloman said,, and the same threat was leveled. they both came true.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
All christians should take a course on Islam, Budhism and most other religions.

There is nothing wrong with learning what other see and think

I am a christian and I have studied many different religions, dont see the issue.

Doesnt sound like this Minister acted very christian though
its not surprising the animosity about muslims from christians from Nigeria. Not that its acceptable

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
It is a violation of the woman's rights. No judge has any authority to render religion, especially another religion, one you consider very wrong, and make you read it.

THEOCRACY VIOLATES OUR CONSTITUTION.

THE JUDGE SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND OBAMA WITH HIM/HER FOR ONLY DUE TO HIM IS THIS OCCURRING. FOR HIM ITS A LONG LIST OF TREASON.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
That's called an easy to win case in the state Supreme Court. And an easily winnable lawsuit for millions. Wish they would do it too me!!

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Or perhaps immigrants (Muslim or otherwise) need to take a course in western culture ethics and values, none of which should include any of our religions.

We get Christian immigrants who are just as backwards as the Daesh. It's a cultural thing. The sooner we all realize that, the better.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

No. Nobody needs to be forced to learn about any religion to come here. If they're going to learn something then teach them the laws and customs and language. You know, stuff that is useful. You don't need religious knowledge to function in the US. You need to know about the rules and customs. All you need to know about religion is that we have religious freedom, period.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Hmm I dunno, the Founding Fathers certainly perceived morality through a biblical prism. So I think their laws reflect that.

edit on 15-12-2015 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I think all people who claim to be "Christian" should
take courses in Christ's teachings.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

...and no one brought up the elephant in the room...

The woman is in her 70s!!! ...throwing a young woman down the stairs. Yeah right.

Why did no one bring up this little tidbit...

Pamela Geller wrote:

…First off, I do not believe the Pastor Daisy Obi, a 73-year-old ordained minister from Nigeria, threw the Islamic supremacist Gihan Suliman down the stairs. I think she is a liar – I have seen this too any times. Muslim revenge. Muslims in Muslim countries under the sharia do this all the time, accuse Christians of blasphemy in order to get them jailed or punished.

And why doesn't this mad old 73 year old woman do this to her other muslim tenants? She just singles out one muslim and suddenly she's a bigot? I think someone's blowing this out of proportion and lying here.

The woman accused of saying anti-Muslim things and “pushing a Muslim tenant down the stairs” rents to several Muslims. So clearly she is not anti-Muslim. And secondly, the alleged victim had upwards of 15 people living her the apartment so of course the landlord. Suliman did not respond to messages left at her home and workplace (of course not).

Why not ask the other muslims?

!WITCH HUNT!

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
So what"? Maybe you need to do a little research on the founders of this nation which you obviously haven't done any then you would know that America isn't a Christian.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Why?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join