It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads on this site are really making me not want to use it anymore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I ask the owners and operators of this board, is there anything we can do as your content generators and members, and ultimately the only reason you can put ads on your site and make money to get you to lessen the pain in the ass these ads have become? There are days where I absolutely just close the page because I don't want to listen to the full page GMC/Chevy truck ad, or the annoying corner popup telling me about the newest paper towels. I am serious, I don't use your site some days and I consider abandoning it all together sometimes.

I know you want to make money off of ads on your site, and I know because you created such a wonderful place to attract millions of visitors you have the ability to make substantial amounts and I don't blame you I would too. However is there a way you can still make money without allowing ads that will play on tabs that you aren't even looking at?

I realize there is probably nothing that can be done, and the only real answer is that if I don't like it I can leave, but that just sucks. What happens if everyone leaves because we are all tired of it? Is it still worth it then?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

You're not very internet savvy are you

There are alternatives but we're not supposed to talk about them here, since they do use ads to make money to keep the site going.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If you're logged in, you shouldn't get those ads, I don't anyway. I keep my speaker off unless I specifically want to listen to something.

[snip]
edit on 14-12-2015 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
*Cough*
[snip]
*Cough*
edit on 14-12-2015 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well offer to pay a fee so they don't have to use them anymore

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I don't have too much of a problem on my computer but when I use the site from my phone its just atrocious. I frequently get redirected to sites saying I have a virus or some other stupid thing and I can't back out; I just have to close my browser and try again. It's becoming very intrusive. On top of that, there a giant red scrolling ad at the bottom of the site that takes up about 20% of my screen. If anything can be done about this it would truly be appreciated. I'm afraid the site will be unviewable in the near future at the rate its slipping into advertisement hell.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I have no problem with sidebar static ads, but the mouse-over flash "Dodge" ads are very annoying. They place them in between the menu bar and the content. So you get a full craptastic flash vid spalshed right in your face whether you want one or not.

Seriously, I actually click some of the sidebar stuff just to help....but the mouseover full-vid crap has to go. Some people have bandwidth restrictions. I had 2 people interested in the site initially then got turned off by how gawd awful slow the market ads make this site. Until I told them to do a certain thing your not supposed to talk...the speed difference is night and day...

Keep static ads, get rid of the FMV flash ads. Hell I may actually donate real money if they make that happen.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Be logged in and you shouldn't have a problem and don't use the home page on a tablet or phone. Simple and ATS still gets ad revenue.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Be logged in and you shouldn't have a problem and don't use the home page on a tablet or phone. Simple and ATS still gets ad revenue.

That's the problem, the site is so slow for non-logged in users its a turn off for new people. This was on t-1 taking up to 30-45 seconds to load only to be greeted by a splash ad. Its probably the most annoying thing ever....and if you have a crap connection its even more frustrating. They wont get any revenue if people think its riddled with ad pages.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If I don't physically log out, I never see them. It is only 2 ads, anyway. If they do not close in 1 click, that is a glitch and should be reported.

I use Maxthon as my browser. A specific feature of it may help you here.

It is very light, good for gaming and very secure. It includes a a very easy cloud browsing feature.

There was a problem with the Pepsi max game/ad, it would not close. I haven;t seen it in a very long time.

edit on 14-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirChill

That's the problem, the site is so slow for non-logged in users its a turn off for new people. This was on t-1 taking up to 30-45 seconds to load only to be greeted by a splash ad. Its probably the most annoying thing ever....and if you have a crap connection its even more frustrating. They wont get any revenue if people think its riddled with ad pages.

Maybe new visitors can be told they will experience less ads if they register and log in?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
If I don't physically log out, I never see them. It is only 2 ads, anyway. If they do not close in 1 click, that is a glitch and should be reported.

I use Maxthon as my browser. A specific feature of it may help you here.

It is very light, good for gaming and very secure. It includes a a very easy cloud browsing feature.

There was a problem with the Pepsi max game/ad, it would not close. I haven;t seen it in a very long time.

Maxthon is a GREAT browser. If I could I would star you.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with them. they keep us up and running.
With out the adds this would be a private site for the elite. Thus empty. I prefer the diversity.
I religiously click on them to generate revenue. I assume it does.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Maybe new visitors can be told they will experience less ads if they register and log in?

That's not exactly something you want to tell someone when checking out a new site. "If you register and login and it will work better", yea...no. That's not how people work, they want fast working good, then register.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Its all you friend....and your settings....we most...don't have any such intrusions...ever. Not on any device... it a combination of Your visited sites and settings in minute conflict.

Its unfair to blame us here...you can learn how to avoid them. What is an auto playing add w sound? I cannot relate....and I wrote a thread on it a few years back, and you can find it on my profile list of threads.

You don't have to have such issues. Good luck!!!

Again...it's on your end. Peace.....MS

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You asked if there was anything you can do... Yes, there is, but we aren't allowed to discuss it here. Ads generate revenue for the websites that display them, and ATS relies on those ads. I don't want to backstab ATS, but for the sake of your own personal knowledge, yes, you can do something.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I will say as Someone who cares, that ads can be annoying, but they are how we get to enjoy this content for what appears to be free, It would be Nice if our host would switch to a less intrusive ad system, but you can not always get things that way.

If ATS would go to just flat static on the sides ad, that are tied to content of site instead of the creepy try to stalk you with shoe ads for you looking at foot locker once five years ago that would be nice.

It kinda reminds me of the television ads that are 200% volume of the show, all you can do is suffer though it, mute or switch the channel. Mow if your getting the pop ups that cry your getting a virus to check you system you may want to check out a site Bleepingcomputer to find decent anti malware programs to clean your system.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
the real question is
how much do these ads generate?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
To OP - Please Post your ad complaint here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join