It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Duty!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Who is also Pro-choice

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: neo96

Fingers crossed it's not a mixed-race, gay welfare recipient who's been protesting against anti-gun legislation.

I can only hope

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Good luck whatever happens

Like you, I'd rather not go on any Jury service.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Guess I am gonna have to dust off, 'The Good Wife' to brush up my court etiquette.

edit on 13-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Heh,We don't agree on much,but We do share the same anxiety..Hopefully your number won't be called,either way you'll be alright..

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
not sure how the process works cause i have never been involved.
if i am ever called i am pretty sure i would be dismissed pretty fast.
i would make it pretty clear that i dont care about the case or the results....
no way i can sit on a jury and listen to the # all day..
dont they pay you like 10 bucks a day? i know your job cant fire you for doing your civic duty but 10 bucks a day?
i dont think so.
i dont need to be bored out of my mind making in a day what i usually make in 30 minutes.
pass

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I'm pretty much just the opposite. The main reason I vote is to maintain eligibility for jury duty.

How many times have you seen a discussion on ATS and wondered, "How could a jury not find that person guilty of murder? He was on video shooting an unarmed man." I've also seen a lot of those true crime shows and wondered, how that guy could have been convicted of murder? There was no real evidence, just the prosecutor telling the jury a lot of what ifs, could haves, possible motives, and that he was a bad guy so he must have done it.

Then there are always the cases that badly need some jury nullification.

I've said it before, we can't make much difference in the ballot box, but we can in the jury box. The jury is still the best weapon we have against a corrupt government.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I've been called in before, luckily they didn't need me.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Just do it. I did jury duty early last year. I didn't try to lie my way out of being selected, nor scare them into not picking me. I won't go into details on the case, but it was a one day thing. I'm actually glad I got to do it, because of the subject matter of the case. If I get called in for jury duty again, I'd gladly do it.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Exactly! That's how the case was that I was on a jury for.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You don't have to serve.

Look it up.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
As someone who posts about personal responsibility with great frequency I think you should be happy to be doing your civic duty as a citizen. Jury duty is an obligation that we all should fulfill at some point as it gives you great insight into how our legal system operates.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
not sure how the process works cause i have never been involved.
if i am ever called i am pretty sure i would be dismissed pretty fast.
i would make it pretty clear that i dont care about the case or the results....
no way i can sit on a jury and listen to the # all day..
dont they pay you like 10 bucks a day? i know your job cant fire you for doing your civic duty but 10 bucks a day?
i dont think so.
i dont need to be bored out of my mind making in a day what i usually make in 30 minutes.
pass

Pathetic

It might not be a glamorous as being a solider or being president but jury duty is about as important for a functioning country.

Next time your too "bored" to do jury duty take a moment to think what its like in a country that doesn't have trial by jurys.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Guess I am gonna have to dust off, 'The Good Wife' to brush up my court etiquette.

If you don't live in the Southern states, just talk with a "Southern Accent"!

That ought to scare the hell out of em!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think you should be happy to be doing your civic duty as a citizen.

Uh ?

No.

I am not gonna be happy.

Can't make me so there!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Uh ?

No.

I am not gonna be happy.

Can't make me so there!

Fine with me, be a petulant child instead. Kind of telling when you really get down to it.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Least he is manning up and will do his duty and not trying to find pathetic excuses to get out of it like others here.

Dam did I just defend neo? Think ats will crash!
edit on 14-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

It's not that bad, if you have integrity.

You live in a society with laws. A team of attorneys (or just one) will show you evidence that a crime was committed, and a second team (or just one) will try to deny this evidence and possibly show you some that negates the proof of guilt. A judge will then read you the specifications of each charge--each part of a charge must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in order for you to find the defendant guilty. Then you deliberate with other jurors and come to a unanimous verdict (or you don't).

Either way, I think that what you really should be dreading is the jury deliberation after closing arguments and instructions from the judge--that's where things can get difficult and frustrating.

As far as the defendant, if you find them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, that means that there was a preponderance of evidence against them--at that point, the defendant chose their own future by committing the crime(s) for which you might find them guilty.

Just remember, you don't have to agree with the law in order to find someone guilty of it. Good luck--I was a paralegal for years and currently work with evidence for AUSAs all across the country, but I have never been on a jury. When that day comes, I may not see it so black and white, but something tells me that my jobs in the legal field will have conditioned me otherwise.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Haha, that just made me chuckle!

...never been asked to do jury service myself but I would have no hesitation if asked.
I've been found not guilty by jury before now in my life so I respect the institution, especially as I elected for Crown court because I was convinced a Magistrate would have hung me out to dry given the circumstances of the case.

I have to say though, I would interpret the law in my own manner and regardless of any direction by the judge I would make my own decision based on my own moral code. Say the case I was watching was minor personal possession of a controlled plant substance or something (with no victims as a result) then I would go not-guilty in spite of the law.
Thats just me though, I'm no big fan of authority, but I absolutely respect the institution of trial by jury.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Pathetic

It might not be a glamorous as being a solider or being president but jury duty is about as important for a functioning country.

Next time your too "bored" to do jury duty take a moment to think what its like in a country that doesn't have trial by jurys.

no thanks.
i dont want anything to do with sitting on a jury.
pay me my wages and i would consider it. if not i would try to get out of it at all costs.
im glad we have jury trials in this country but that does not mean i want to be a part of one.
think of it what you will. i dont really care

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join