It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Duty!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So it seems I have been selected for the 2016 year in the jury trial pool. Potentially someone's life is going to hang in the balance of my decision.

People I DO NOT want that responsibility. I don't. I don't. I don't. I don't. I DON'T.

Its one thing to post anonymously on political forums. Laying down justice Neostyle. In the grand scheme of things it don't mean ANYTHING. No long lasting consequences for anyone . No one's life irrevocably changed for the worse.

For YEARS I have never had to worry about such things. My life is pretty simple. Keep my head down, and stay out of trouble. Now all of the sudden.

Bam!

I absolutely detest what's coming. I wish there is a way out of it, but there isn't. Oh people, and I am well aware numerous people on the site would not want me as a juror of their peers.

And I would AGREE with them.

For crying out loud.

Life SUCKS!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just make sure you completely agree with one side (prosecution or defense) during selection. that should get you booted asap.... I think.

PS- I wouldn't want that burden either.
edit on 13-12-2015 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Suck it up cupcake.
You manage to form an opinion on this website so you should be able to make a decision in the real world.
Enjoy the experience,

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Just remember Magna Carta;

edit on 13-12-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I've been chosen to attend jury duty selection twice now. The first time I managed to wheedle out of because I assume they didn't believe my Just-Turned-18-Emo-Appearance suited their desires. The second time I was able to send in some written paperwork from my boss saying that I was needed and he could just not spare me. Teehee!

Haven't had a selection call since. And now! I bet I get one in the mail next week now! Murphy's Law.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Just mention "Jury Nullification"!

They will dump you quickly!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It is simple if you don't want to serve on a jury.

Just print out this article and take in with you. It makes a good conversation piece with your fellow potential jurors during the wait.

Half hour tops and they will excuse you from the process.

Jury Nullification: Why Every American Needs to Learn This Taboo Verdict

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Man up and do your duty.

The fact you don’t want to do it in case you screw it up testifies you take it seriously.

Plus your political views to me are irreverent. Jurys duty not about how much you hate Obama or love your guns so whatever your views, people on ATS should not be calling your judgment on the jury into question based on them.

edit on 13-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Did some forget that I DONT have choice in the matter?

I ain't gonna pretend to be happy about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963, Grimpachi

OK, that idea was waaay better.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Serious question first... Neo do you have an anxiety disorder? I do and I think I see some panic in your OP.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Like was said above, just make your self seem impartial and you will get kicked out, if you even make it that far.

Last time I was in there I just said that I would have a hard time not taking what was said by the police as the truth.
Defense didn't let me stay.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You don't have the choice of showing up sure, but you absolutely have the choice in how you present your self.

The prosecution and defense can kick jurors off the benches, if one thinks you are going to screw up their case, they won't have you stay.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963
"Just mention "Jury Nullification"!"

I second that. Probably just saying you have strict Constitutional beliefs will probably get you off the hook. In today's court the law is what the judge tells you it is. They can't be troubled with silly things like inalienable rights or defending unconstitutional laws. Half of America's prisons are full of political or ideological prisoner's. I have never had jury duty but if I were selected I would tell them at the very beginning, if the person is being kidnapped based on unconstitutional legislation I will vote, not guilty, the second I cross the threshold of the jury room. They would never let me stay after that.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Yes you do have a choice. Ask for an exclusion... Take a doctors slip that you can't sit for long periods. That works.. and you haven't been selected to actually serve on one.... but ask to report for do... and that is to be interviewed to see if you're right for a case.

Ask to be excluded on a medical...

PS It might just be a dog bite or traffic case as well......

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

HEHE the great Neo scared of abit of jury duty j/k

Actually as loath as I am to admit it I think you will do a great job. There one thing you do have and I will give you credit for and that is a sense of justice and fairness. If I was innocent of a crime I would want people like you on the bench and if I was guilty I would be bricking it.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I think all citizens should have to serve as a juror ONCE and only once. I did and learned quite a bit. Being a juror is a serious position and, because you see it as such, you would make an excellent juror.

I have a lifetime release from jury duty. You can get the same release, but I don't recommend it.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So, you've already been through the jury selection and were chosen as a juror for this particular case? In that case,and depending on the case, that is an entirely different matter altogether. And if you're selected, you don't *have* to form an opinion either way at the end.

I was called for selection once, and during the questioning the implication in my answers was perfectly clear that I didn't want to be there, my time was being wasted, and I would not play ball with either side. Neither the prosecution nor the defense wanted me, and I was on my way.

edit on 13-12-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If you have prior history in the Military here is one for you, when they ask if you can objectively consider the issue with out prejudice, mention you spent time living under the UCMJ and your views will stay in line with that.

To date I have been in the selection pool 12 times and 12 times let go, with a thank you for your service but you will not be needed. Even though I was really interested in the case and wanted to be selected.

It has to do with the fact that under UCMJ if your brought to trial you have to have innocence proven not guilt. Most of the lawyers for defense will request you not to be put on a jury for that reason.

If you do not have military background, look at the charge if you can see a conflict of interest then asking questions along the lines of the conflict, for example in the case of Aggravated assault with Retribution it is explained the person was already charged and tried with Aggravated assault, so you already know the person was found guilty, asking about clarifying that point I have seen has gotten other people dismissed out of selection.

Now the hard part is how the heck do you get selected with out Omitting history.

CoBaZ

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Fingers crossed it's not a mixed-race, gay welfare recipient who's been protesting against anti-gun legislation.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join