It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Disease That Is Feminism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
a reply to: aethertek

failure to watch the video's proves your biased to be objective and intelligent, both sides of a argument must be listened to and then debated ,anything else is failure on your side to conduct intelligent debate.

No failure on my part, the OP failed to discuss their specific views / issues they have with "feminism".
No he/she trounced out the vids with some vague BS about "feminism & equality).
Hence my request for some specificity beyond "uh watch the vids they're cool & reinforce my bias).

K~

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Abysha

Where does your reasoning for the different waves come from? I can find the different waves but not what causes the shifts, well at least not what you lay out.

Great question with no solid answer. If you've studied sexuality in European culture in the 20th century, with the waxing and waning of populist opinion of various rights, in and out of two world wars, you will see a lot of room for large strides in thinking.

People think of human progress as a linear thing but it's totally not. The aftermath of war normally makes people fearful of anything other than pro-natalist endeavors and that would take everything back a step before moving forward again.

Most human rights have been on that same rollercoaster.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: Revolution9

The old way of stay at home wifey trembling at the thought of her husband's drunken temper when he comes home are over. The days where she has to ask him for the food money and he gives her what he can afford are done. The days of the police and the courts dismissing her rape are over. Feminism has achieved this. Women did this against all the odds of the (once) physically stronger sex.

What you are describing is an example and not a standard.

Yes women have been beaten and typecast as the housewife throughout the ages, but should good men be treated with disdain and fear just because they are men? My father (R.I.P) taught me to never raise a hand against a woman and now I can't open a door for a woman without getting a suspicious look.

Apparently being a gentleman is creepy in this day in age. I'm sick to death of bra burners venting their anger upon the entirety of the male population. Sure their are some stools out there but not all of us are stools. If I called every woman 'loose' then there will be hell to pay so treat every man on their merits.

This was the norm for many of us. It still is for many, too, in the world.

Do you really have so much distrust of women? Men were keeping them in a child like state. Women of intellect got so miserable at their lot they killed themselves in protest in the hope that it might wake everybody up. That is how desperate it got. Virginia Woolf and Sylvia Plath are two such cases who reached a point of hopelessness and committed intellectual and physical suicide.

Women are coming out of a state of gender ghettohood in many ways. It is all going to be a learning process, shocking and uncomfortable at times and our societies will be transformed. I think we can expect a lot of experimentation in the future as women find their feet and men, too, in all this.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Basically, she explains how universities are being hijacked by feminism. There have even been cases in which consensual sex was classified as rape. It's quite shocking.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Malynn

Apologies; I'll edit the post and give examples.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Do you really have so much distrust of women?

When did you come up with that?

I was trying to defend the good honest men out there, who's the one with the trust issues? Woman can be untrustworthy as well. And BTW do you know how many males kill themselves each and every year because of a failed relationship? believe it or not men have souls and feelings *gasp*

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Feminism is no longer needed in the West. The battle was won long ago. Nowadays if you call yourself a feminist, its like calling your self an abolitionist when abolition happened many years ago. It's no longer necessary.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

If you haven't read it yet, A Room of One's Own is a great illustration of this. In it, there is a an essay from Woolf (the whole book is based on her essays) about "Shakespeare's Sister" who, if she did write, would probably have still been unknown.

Looking at women's literature throughout history gives one of the most vivid pictures a person can get into the importance of feminism.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I'm glad. It will have a profound change on the male gender, too. It will force behaviour changes on men and they will lose their power OVER women. It has done it already. I expect now there will be constant change through the generations with neither gender staying stagnant in conformity to stereotypes that men designed to suit their own interests and keep women very much in 2nd place and under the thumb sexually.

The view that women during the whole of the past were not autonomous human beings, but slaves of men, is a poor and misguided view of women and history. Men did not "design" the stereotypes of women, which is a complete and utter absurdity. Women have brains, and being that they are 50% of the population, had just as much to do with history as men. Frankly your views are false and sexist.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenebris

There are several different kinds of feminism, different schools of thought. Your OP does not take that into account.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I hesitated commenting on your thread. I live in the US. The experiences of Canadian women may be different I regret that I have never looked into that. You are so very young to be at University so I applaud you for having achieved such a goal! I mean that sincerely!
I realize that at your age, you did NOT or maybe have never heard the experiences of many women who DID/do experience inequality.
One doesn't have to research far to know that it was less than 100 years ago that women in America were allowed to vote.
19th Amendment

But that is a small part of what the movement has accomplished:

The feminist movement (also known as the women's liberation movement, the women's movement, or feminism) refers to a series of campaigns for reforms on issues such as reproductive rights, domestic violence, maternity leave, equal pay, women's suffrage, sexual harassment, and sexual violence, all of which fall under the label of feminism. The movement's priorities vary among nations and communities and range from opposition to female genital mutilation in one country to opposition to the glass ceiling in another.

Feminist Movement

As with many movements there may be obvious extremisms.
I'm sure that some supporters of this could be seen as extremists, if one were to look closely:
CAFE

In 1848 at a Convention on Women's Rights leaders felt compelled to write a Declaration:
Declaration of Sentiments

Did you know, which I am sure you do, that in 1872 Susan B Anthony was arrested...arrested for voting in the presidential election. She was tried, convicted, and fined...can you imagine that world?

Women in Saudi Arabia have finally been granted the "privilege" of being allowed to vote however, the turnout was extremely low...any guesses as to WHY that was?
Women in that country are STILL not allowed to drive...oh there is no law per se but, can you follow where I am leading?

Anyhow, I digress. I am sorry that you feel the entire movement is a "disease" and don't seem to be able to distinguish between some fanatical members and the core of what it is and has accomplished for women.
I will still believe that EQUAL rights CAN and WILL be established for all people of this world.
And I will raise my children to believe the same.

"All I ask of our brethren is that they will take their feet from off our necks and permit us to stand upright on the ground which God intended us to occupy" - Sarah Moore Grimke

Perhaps I should have went with my initial instincts!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSubversiveOne
Feminism is no longer needed in the West. The battle was won long ago. Nowadays if you call yourself a feminist, its like calling your self an abolitionist when abolition happened many years ago. It's no longer necessary.

Definitely not true.
There are still many disparities, including wages.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'm glad. It will have a profound change on the male gender, too. It will force behaviour changes on men and they will lose their power OVER women. It has done it already. I expect now there will be constant change through the generations with neither gender staying stagnant in conformity to stereotypes that men designed to suit their own interests and keep women very much in 2nd place and under the thumb sexually.

The view that women during the whole of the past were not autonomous human beings, but slaves of men, is a poor and misguided view of women and history. Men did not "design" the stereotypes of women, which is a complete and utter absurdity. Women have brains, and being that they are 50% of the population, had just as much to do with history as men. Frankly your views are false and sexist.

In general, women were. Most were denied education, expected to stay at home and raise children and in most places could not own property or participate in government. They were treated like chattel and had very little power to get out of a situation that existed when they were born.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

Is this going to be one of those "Waaaaaa I can't be a chauvinistic pig in public anymore" threads or do you have actual cause for "concern".
& no I'm not watching the damn videos so what's your problem besides something something equality, feminism & special rights?

K~

Oh they still can and do and I'd never want their free speech to be taken away... it's just very unlikely that today there wouldn't be at least one person who said something back. Which of course is really what the problem is. Popping the layers of the protective bubble.

*roar*

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Feminists today are quite distracted. Feminism as an idea to fix that is still wrong in this World ,is what it supposed to be. These women who shout out for priviledges for themselves are using the idea wrongly... it never ment to be a weapon for your personal gains.
Still there is a lot to fix in this World and there are no equality between sexes in some parts of the World. I would say equality is working quite well in western World but there are times when equal rights do not meet for both sexes. I just read about 53 year old man who applied to job and had better qualifications for the job than just graduated 26 year old woman who got the job.. it went to court and man won the case. Sometimes it is vice versa.

In third World countries Equal rights do not meet at all.. there are a lot to fix
If you don´t agree with me, tell it to this little 12 years old girl who married an old man
Link

edit on 13-12-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

To my well read mind you are like a Holocaust denier.

Look at history. There was a time when matrifocal worship happened and even matriarchal society, too. The came along patriarchal civilization. Religion was used to subversive woman, making all women bare Eve's sinful burden. Myth tells the story of it all. Women were stripped of identity and relegated to 2nd class citizen. The Bible tells us that clearly. Women were burned at the stake as witches as a campaign of terror against women to control them by fear. Church and state conspired.

There has been a movement gathering momentum very much begun by the women novelists (noted by the three waves comment here). It has come to achieve all this.

I am glad. Totally healthy and necessary. There will be intellectual abuses of this movement, but in the main moderate reality shall endure.

edit on 13-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Definitely not true.
There are still many disparities, including wages.

I think that in the western world there are laws regarding equal pay.
Mayhaps you mare confusing earnings with rates of pay. There are variables like number of hours worked (men doing more overtime for example), the calculation being based on people in full time employment only blah, blah, blah.

There would appear to be equality of opportunity in the west, not necessarily equality of outcome...

edit on 13-12-2015 by EnochRoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I mean where did you get that picture from, I found the person that is mentioned but don't find those words that the image presents.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I really only have one problem with thirdwave feminism, free speech... it's not up for for debate. Free speech includes anything in the creative realm, video games, scripts, art, literature etc. It's anyone's right to call something sexist, racist, genderist whether it is or isn't BUT it's not okay to try to ban any of the above. Knocking down barriers to equal access, go for it. Back off of free speech.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There's definitely a link on ATS with those threads we get about some members having never kissed a girl for 28 years and and anti feminist threads. A lot of basement dwellers with a chip on their shoulder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join