It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name that Boeing.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

Neat little airplane. Kill you as soon as look at you.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

ha...fun fact on the L-15 Scout

It was rated to be towed to 140kt

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

That's pretty impressive. Most don't go anywhere near that speed.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

only did about 85kt under power. I could only imagine being in the thing at speed under tow? I bet it felt like the wings were going to come off.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Haha. I can imagine. That would be fun to do though.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

hey re: the E-6 Trailing Wire.

Was the cone at the end of cable simply for stability? It seems like it wouldn't need to be that large and create that kind of drag..

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It pulled the cable tight and kept it from whipping around and possibly hitting the aircraft.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

kinda figured. it just seems larger than needed. 6 miles of cable is definitely not a kite string behind that bird.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

It's probably NOT going to be a Tupolev in a name-that-Boeing thread

Reverse engineering brah!!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6
I was wondering if you folk could find pictures of the OVIES or CUTIES?

Everyone here on ATS love to talk about the stealth programs. This was one of the first attempts to reduce the noise of aircraft in the Vietnam conflict. There was two entrants. OV3a was known as the "ovies" and QT3 known as the "cuties" both being sailplanes modified with engines and sensors.

Their mission was to fly over the Ho Chi Minh trail without detection. Both were very quiet and describe as sounding like the rustling of leaves.

If I were more computer savvy, I would post my pictures here on ATS from my time in Vietnam.

edit on 7-2-2016 by buddah6 because: AGE, PAIN MEDS and BAD MEMORY!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I was wondering if you folk could find pictures of the OVIES or CUTIES?

Everyone here on ATS love to talk about the stealth programs. This was one of the first attempts to reduce the noise of aircraft in the Vietnam conflict. There was two entrants. OV3a was known as the "ovies" and QT3 known as the "cuties" both being sailplanes modified with engines and sensors.

Their mission was to fly over the Ho Chi Minh trail without detection. Both were very quiet and describe as sounding like the rustling of leaves.

If I were more computer savvy, I would post my pictures here on ATS from my time in Vietnam.

That's some very cool news I hadn't heard from back then, being used in Vietnam. I've spent many years building RC model sailplanes with motors, usually electric.
Do you by chance remember seeing any Enemy Helicopters back then in Vietnam? I'm pretty sure you will know what I mean. Just curious. (Just a yes or no if you get the chance.

I love flying big RC sailplanes, and would love to fly a full scale one myself someday. They look like a lot of fun, especially using thermals to climb like a hawk..

edit on 7-2-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

A rumor that was going around was the guys at Lang Vei reported seeing a Mi-7 in 1968. I didn't see anything personally.

My second tour was in 1972-73 and during the "Easter Offensive" there was a large amount of conventional war activities going on. I routinely flew around a town called An Loc and did see NVA tanks. They were using SA-7s which were new in the area at the time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join