It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans panic-buy guns?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason
because they are constantly fed fear through media and its portrayal of events. its social engineering jack.

This is precisely it. You can see this same mentality with almost anything in US Media.

Hazmat suit sales skyrocketed when the H1N1 and recent Ebola virus outbreaks made the news on an excessive scale. When 9/11 occurred gun sales and ammo sales also skyrocketed.

If you're quick enough you can make a pretty awesome score in the stock market when major issues are pummeled through the screens of US tv's.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I wonder why they do that too. I have always had guns. I inherited one deer rifle from my dad, one from my uncle I have my dad's 22, my uncles 12 gauge, and a double barrel 16 gauge I bought from an old guy when I was fifteen. Those guns aren't really impressive but they are good for hunting and I have been using some of them since I was a teenager. I will hand them down to my grandchildren if they are trustworthy with them.

I did buy a few handguns throughout the years but they don't mean much to me. My most valued guns are the ones that have been my family for a couple of generations.

The assault type rifles seem to make some people think they are powerful. They think they are a bad ass. Now not everyone who owns one is like that, but give that kind of impressive looking gun to certain people and they get a big head. It doesn't help that some people are desensitized by those video games, some think that what they are doing is another game if they are a little messed up.

At the price they are paying for those guns, I can't see buying one. If you are good with a rifle, it does not matter what it looks like, they all kill. I prefer to keep my guns I inherited, I do not need a better gun. I suppose bullets will be getting rare again with all the people buying guns.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

Neckbearding!

I made a good buck selling a bunch of .22, mags, and older 90's ARs during the big panic.

Generally 5 x what I paid.

Then waited a few months and bought new for 1/4 of the price I sold them for.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason
because they are constantly fed fear through media and its portrayal of events. its social engineering jack.

This is precisely it. You can see this same mentality with almost anything in US Media.

Hazmat suit sales skyrocketed when the H1N1 and recent Ebola virus outbreaks made the news on an excessive scale. When 9/11 occurred gun sales and ammo sales also skyrocketed.

If you're quick enough you can make a pretty awesome score in the stock market when major issues are pummeled through the screens of US tv's.

I thought of buying a gas mask to keep in the bathroom in case it is needed.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I surmise its the same reason that in the day or two before a forecasted weather event, the supermarkets are packed with people stocking up on batteries, canned goods and bottled water.... things they should of already had.

Disclaimer: We do not own any firearms at the moment. We have been discussing it for quite a while, but no purchases have been made yet. When we do move forward, it won't be because of the "story of the day."

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My wife wants a gas mask so she can wear it while I'm in the bathroom...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

It's good that you aren't 'a reed shaken by the wind.'

If you ever decide to move forward or if you want more information, a friendly gun store clerk is a great source of information!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I think a lot of the gun buying when the now expected gun control meme is rolled out is a mass American response saying, "Oh, yeah??!!" I would say only some of it is panic buying.

I also think more people are realizing they or family members could be caught in one of these suspicious massacres or random shootings and want to be able to protect themselves. It's a natural response. I'd call it taking personal action to quell a possible threat. It's a survival mechanism.

Self-defense training methods are good in my perspective. It doesn't have to be guns. It could be martial arts or the like.
edit on 8-12-2015 by tweetie because: added a missing word

edit on 8-12-2015 by tweetie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Yup. You're better off stockpiling spices and such, plus home goods. Wars have been fought over pepper and tea. It wouldn't shock me if the next one (post a WWIII scenario) is fought over tampons, toilet paper, and thousand thread count sheets.

Not that I stockpile spices, pepper, teas, seed packets, and domestic items...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
Better save your Ammo, buy loading gear, primers and powder and a good place to hide your stuff until needed...Never talk about what you possess. All Ears "ARE" listening

Never, ever talk about what you have.

Especially online.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
ya...we buy the guns for fun, we're smart like that
these days we get bored and go out and bother the wild hogs, ny buddys go ahead and eat em.....

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

I also think more people are realizing they or family members could be caught in one of these suspicious massacres or random shootings and want to be able to protect themselves. It's a natural response. I'd call it taking personal action to quell a possible threat. It's a survival mechanism.

I also think that it has a lot to do with finally realizing that things could get real violent real quick as we watched the events of Ferguson and Baltimore rage on and on.

Friends that heretofore didn't think much about such things coming to their town hear some of the tough rhetoric stirred up by BLM and others and it puts them a bit on edge. What do you do when you are sitting in your house with your wife and kids, and a mob hyped-up on hate and drugs decide to bust through your door. Some people don't live in gated subdivisions and ivory towers like our politicians do. And sometimes you don't have time to call the police.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Gun companies wait for a mass shooting, get the NRA to proclaim guns are about to be banned and scared people buy them up. Rinse and repeat for about the last 20 years.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

I do have friends that own over 30 guns just for themselves, but I guess I'm just a gun minimalist. I would rather have a big store of ammo, magazines, and supplies. You can only shoot one gun at a time (two for the BAMF's out there).

I have a couple friends like this, I'll quote the one
"I have so many damn guns because when SHTF and my people come to the compound, I know half the dumbasses will forget their guns".

Reason #5 maybe?

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Gun companies wait for a mass shooting, get the NRA to proclaim guns are about to be banned and scared people buy them up. Rinse and repeat for about the last 20 years.

It also helps when the POTUS immediately issues a knee jerk statement about how new gun restriction are needed ASAP within minutes of any media covered shooting... Rinse and repeat for the past 7 years. (Not many mass shootings from 2000 to 2007... in fact, the numbers were dramatically lower than they were in the second half of the 90's, even. Hmmm... could this be a setuhhh... nah, too conspiratorial
)
edit on 9-12-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

dont americans panic buy EVERYTHING ?

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Why do Americans panic-buy guns?

Due to the fluctuating economy of threat to their lives based on other guns.

*shrug*

You done?

edit on 9-12-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Why panic buy Guns???

You only have two hands and most rifles/shotguns require both hands to operate with any proficiency or accuracy! As to hand guns who the hell wants to get that close in a crisis situation?

I imagine tinned food, water and battery's would be the better option.
edit on 9-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I don't know if it is a case of panic buying. It's probably more of an excuse for a guy to buy a gun.
It goes a little like this.

1645: Dinner plates are being set. Husband just gets home. "Hello wife, the radio is saying the president is going to confiscate our guns on national TV tonight." Wife gives husband a slightly amused/irritated look and says "oh".
Husband is excited the wife just agreed that it is ok for him to get the Freedom Ordnance belt fed 9mm AR pistol.
edit on 9-12-2015 by BlastedCaddy because: merica, thats why.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlastedCaddy

I don't know if it is a case of panic buying. It's probably more of an excuse for a guy to buy a gun.
It goes a little like this.

1645: Dinner plates are being set. Husband just gets home. "Hello wife, the radio is saying the president is going to confiscate our guns on national TV tonight." Wife gives husband a slightly amused/irritated look and says "oh". Husband is excited the wife just agreed that it is ok for him to get the Freedom Ordnance belt fed 9mm AR pistol.

Actually, this is a realistic scenario in some households; most likely from the baby boomer generation and older.
Thanks for the laugh!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join