It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans panic-buy guns?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Let me lay this out for everyone:

I am a gun-loving American. I am a full supporter of the Bill of Rights, Constitution, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

I own a few firearms myself. I go shooting as often as I can and am hoping to get some reloading equipment for Christmas!

My question has to do with panic-buying whenever there is an executive action scare. I'm just a little confused by it. I can totally understand ammunition, powder, primers, etc. because those are expendable items.

Here are my assumptions:
1) New people are realizing the dangers in society and are wanting to learn responsible gun ownership for protection.
2) Gun-lovers who have been saving up for a gun realize prices are about to rise because of Type 1 people so they go out and get it now.
3) You can never have enough guns!

I am still planning on getting a few more firearms for hunting and for teaching the future kids when they are ready.

I do have friends that own over 30 guns just for themselves, but I guess I'm just a gun minimalist. I would rather have a big store of ammo, magazines, and supplies. You can only shoot one gun at a time (two for the BAMF's out there).

For those who have a little more experience and understanding in life (I'm still a young buck), could you shed some light for me on this? I would greatly appreciate it. Are my assumptions right? Are there more cases?

And for those who are Type 3 people, how did you convince your wives to let you get another gun every time there's a gun scare? That would be a very nice ability to have! Haha

PS- to those who do not agree with my lifestyle or my beliefs, I ask you to disregard this thread and have a lovely day.

edit on PMTue, 08 Dec 2015 20:21:29 -0600122015Tuesday08220151215 by ArnoldNonymous because: info edited

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
because they are constantly fed fear through media and its portrayal of events. its social engineering jack.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Better save your Ammo, buy loading gear, primers and powder and a good place to hide your stuff until needed...Never talk about what you possess. All Ears "ARE" listening

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

I think your 3 assumptions in your OP are pretty accurate.

Also, guns are a great investment. They generally appreciate in value. Just like some women like to invest in fine jewelry made of gold, diamonds, and other precious metals and stones, some people like to invest in guns.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I'm in the same boat. We have only a few firearms, but would rather have a surplus of ammo and be proficient in their use rather than have a vast collection for dust to settle on.

I think the numbers are still softly inflated for right now anyway. Yes, there may have been some recent panic purchases, however have you seen the prices this season? There were some pretty good buys on Black Friday, plus the holiday season in general has good deals. The last few years the holidays have been a boon for firearms manufacturers and dealers.

The folks with firearms on top of firearms just always remind me of Burt Gummer, so at least they're good for a chuckle.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

How do you know I told you everything?

Also if I'm not on a watch list by now, I'm not doing something right.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Good point. Type 4 would be people buying guns and hoping to sell them for more.

Happens with ammunition all the time.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i used my tax return $ to get my Beretta a last year lol and i did it because of all the # obama was trying to pull with guns lol

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

Money well spent, my good sir.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
Let me lay this out for everyone:

I am a gun-loving American. I am a full supporter of the Bill of Rights, Constitution, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

I own a shotgun, 22lr, 9mm, and an ar15. I go shooting as often as I can and am hoping to get some reloading equipment for Christmas!

My question has to do with panic-buying whenever there is an executive action scare. I'm just a little confused by it. I can totally understand ammunition, powder, primers, etc. because those are expendable items.

Here are my assumptions:
1) New people are realizing the dangers in society and are wanting to learn responsible gun ownership for protection.
2) Gun-lovers who have been saving up for a gun realize prices are about to rise because of Type 1 people so they go out and get it now.
3) You can never have enough guns!

I am still planning on getting a good bolt gun for hunting and target shooting, a revolver because why not, and another pistol for the misses. Then when the future kids are ready, a 22lr bolt for them.

I do have friends that own over 30 guns just for themselves, but I guess I'm just a gun minimalist. I would rather have a big store of ammo, magazines, and supplies. You can only shoot one gun at a time (two for the BAMF's out there).

For those who have a little more experience and understanding in life (I'm still a young buck), could you shed some light for me on this? I would greatly appreciate it. Are my assumptions right? Are there more cases?

And for those who are Type 3 people, how did you convince your wives to let you get another gun every time there's a gun scare? That would be a very nice ability to have! Haha

PS- to those who do not agree with my lifestyle or my beliefs, I ask you to disregard this thread and have a lovely day.

I don't think the numbers are necessarily driven by private buyers. I used to collect a lot more than I do now and mostly it was custom gunsmiths I bought from so panic wasn't part of it.

I know more than 2 handfuls of people who made use of certain bannings of particular parts for guns that are registered as a gun itself because they would buy a thousand or so of each part and make a killing on them after the ban went through. Things like preban mags and certain lowers and uppers can bring a hefty price if you catch the laws at the right time. They buy a ton of them then sell them to private buyers who decide they want one after the ban has been put in place.

While I am sure there are plenty of fear based purchases, I would say in my experience, the majority are volume buyers that then drive the price up....all about the money.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

i thought so lol rotating barrel in .40 for the win alex lol

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

1. Read SPECULUM's post and take his advice 100% here. Never discuss what you have, or even if you have anything at all.
2. A real "fear" is that stricter controls are always just around the corner. Look at how quickly Australia enacted their strict laws.
3. A businessman who wears a tie really only needs one or two ties, max. Most of them, however, own many, many ties. They even have certain events or times which they choose a specific tie for... firearms are identical. Each has it's own time and place and some of those times and places are centered around having fun in the moment. I have very little sporting use for a .223 where I live, or a .50 cal, or a .577 T. Rex, but they're all damned fun to shoot and sure make a statement. (Not that I'm in any way suggesting that I own or possess anything more potent than my arm and a stick.
)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

a reply to: burdman30ott6

After two of you advised keeping info redacted, I edited the OP a bit.

Thanks giant reptile.
And praise be to you, great devil of the confederacy.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I didn't panic buy a fire extinguisher.
I don't plan on using it.
I will use it if needed.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It's the same thing when some group bans a book. You go out and buy it to prove a point. You're telling them banning books is ineffectual. I bought a copy of Rushdie's "Satanic Verses." It wasn't because i wanted to read it; I just didn't want a group of people telling me I couldn't. It's an "up yours" kind of statement.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

"Devil of the confederacy" LOL, I like that.

Just don't fall into the more firearms owned = danger signs trap. Most people who own a large number of firearms are collectors or hobbyists. It is extraordinarily rare for either to be involved in any sort of firearm violence.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Oh I have absolutely no problem with people owning as many firearms as they can buy. More power to em!

It's just not for me. I don't need 4 rifles that serve the same purpose and fire the same caliber.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Going by my freinds and family who did not already own firearms, it is people who have been on the fence about buying who finally did so because prices are good and we have an anti-constitution traitor in the Whitehouse who recently stated his intentions for his final year in office. And then he showed more emotion and concern for gun control than victims of the Muslim terrorist Christmas party massacre.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Type 1 people. Good to know they're joining the club!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I'm betting there is little of this panic buying. For example, many buy gold when there's a question on what the future holds.

The trouble is you can't eat gold. It could even end up having no economic value at all!!

Now own a few guns, with ammo and one can protect one's 'gold' or food or whatever. A very tradable commodity in tough times if one has a surplus.

Besides. it pisses off Obama...a pretty good reason to buy another one....LOL

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join