It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME's Shortlist for 2015 Person of the Year includes ISIS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi...whaaaa?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Meet the eight final contenders

link

Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, who as leader of ISIS has inspired followers to both fight in his self-declared caliphate of Iraq and Syria, and also stage attacks in countries like Tunisia and France.

Black Lives Matter activists, who have protested inequality towards African Americans, especially in their treatment by law enforcement.

Caitlyn Jenner, whose coming out as a transgender woman prompted widespread conversations about gender identity and issues of equality for the LGBT community.

Travis Kalanick, who as CEO of Uber drove his car-hailing company to a nearly $70 billion valuation, but also drew criticism about the downside of the sharing economy.

Angela Merkel, who as German chancellor has been at the center of major news events this year, from economic strife in the Eurozone to Europe’s ongoing migrant crisis.

Vladimir Putin, who as president of Russia has defied Western sanctions over his country’s military activity in Ukraine to play a critical but precarious role in the war on ISIS.

Hassan Rouhani, who as president of Iran is seeking to bring his country out of pariah status and repair its sanctions-crippled economy by pursuing a nuclear deal with the West.

Donald Trump, whose populist rhetoric has made him frontrunner in the race for the Republican presidential candidacy and stirred debate about the party’s future.

So, who will it be? Terrorist leader? Transgender? President of an Islamic nation still holding US citizens? I swear the nation has gone crazy. How can we, anyone, fathom a person who praised the killing of US citizens?

I mean, this is better than a Ivan Reitman film. You cannot make this stuff up.....

Times readers chose Bernie Sanders. I can at least swallow that. I may not agree with him but he is not the leader of ISIS for godsakes!

TIME's editors will select the Person of the Year -- the person they determine had the greatest impact on the news this year -- and announce the selection Wednesday on NBC's "Today

edit on 12pm31pmf0000002015-12-08T17:39:19-06:000519 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

It does not necessarily need to be someone who is admired, remember, Adolph Hitler was Man of the Year once as well.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Time hasn't been relevant in years.

Much like the NY Daily News, trying to garner attention by being outrageous.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

The name says it all though, he changed his name though because ISIS believes their leader who will bring about the Islamic Armageddon will be the 12th Imam, with the name Abu Bakar

Interesting no?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Do you actually have a link for that because that is pretty fed up my man.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

time.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
They all share one thing in common, they are patsys for one of the worlds most effective propaganda mouthpieces who whether they have done good or bad, don't deserve what you and I would consider "person of the year" - that would go to someone who actually cares about other people, wants to genuinely help other people without being rewarded and/or may have already done so.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Isn't the title about being the person who has had the greatest impact on the world during the year?
That would give the leader of ISIS a relevant claim.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Why no link? Anyway if it is the editors choice, that means only a handful of people are that bit loopy.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Kim Davis was also considered, she placed 55th out of 60 for the public vote
edit on 8-12-2015 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The list seems meaningless, other than for a What? moment.
edit on 12/8/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Regardless of whether this is about the most influential/rich/important or whatever, the fact is that to include that f***ing animal is taking the piss.
TAKING THE PISS!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Time used to be one of the greatest news magazines in print EVER. Now it's a shadow of it's former self.

Time should rename itself "Time and Space": Every time you open one of their issues you encounter a plethora of knowledge so meaningless or pretentious it might as well be a void.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Time hasn't been relevant in years.

Much like the NY Daily News, trying to garner attention by being outrageous.

Ha! You almost made a pun!

Here..."Time hasn't been relevant in a long....TIME!"

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
We are truly heading for Idiocracy. At warp speed.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
A Year...? Way too long to have just one person get pinned with that medal.

Person of The News Cycle is what I propose. More in line with how fickle, feckless, and fogged us common folks have become.

I'm shocked they didn't consider the child refugee curled up dead on a beach...be a "poetic, symbolic" choice, as that dead baby was the result of the actions of many players who could take the front page...

Sidenote...if you were to only consider people who played roles in events of interest to ATS...who is the

ATS Person of the Year..?

edit on 8-12-2015 by EStreetShuffle because: Needed more

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I know it is late, but I think they should include the dynamic Muslim jihadist duo of San Bernardino.

Surely they have had a significant impact on the minds and hearts of at least, the American people.

How are they spinning it? The latest 911?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroomI knew the ingredients were in there but lacked the focus at the moment to put anything together.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

that would go to someone who actually cares about other people, wants to genuinely help other people without being rewarded and/or may have already done so.

Yes, indeed.

Not totally out there, really. Obama won the Nobel PEACE prize and was a contributor to the rise of ISIS.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

A handful of terrorists, two idiots, an attention whore, a POTUS Candidate, and the president of Russia walk into a bar...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join