It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Entire Planet Can Go Solar Right Now!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

“We have this handy fusion reactor in the sky called the sun, you don’t have to do anything - it just works. Shows up every day and produces ridiculous amounts of power." - Elon Musk

Not only is this feasible, but it is the most practical solution.

The public perception of solar energy seems to be that it can only provide a small fraction of the world's power, but that is completely wrong. With the increased efficiency of solar panels and batteries, you can power the entire planet on solar energy without much real estate.

How much real estate for the solar panels?

To illustrate, this is how much real estate is required to power the entire United States:

How much real estate for the batteries?

The real estate required for the batteries is the little red dot inside the blue box which is the solar panels.

Yes, and that's it. The entire United States of America can be run on solar energy and taken off fossil fuels.

..And the solar panels do not have to all be in one place. The entire world can be connected on a common power grid to share the power. The panels also do not have to occupy space on the ground, they can be placed on roofs.

If we can get our heads out of our asses then maybe we can turn this into a reality and not "win the Darwin Award", as Elon Musk mentioned.

----

Most of the world is still powered by fossil fuel.

The Keeling Curve, shows the growth of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere. It gets higher and higher every year.

"If we do nothing, that's where it's (CO2 levels.. are) headed. To levels that we don't even see in the fossil record.. I think we, collectively, should do something about this, and not try to win the Darwin Award." - Elon Musk

The massive Gigafactory in Nevada, currently being built, It will produce, among other things, the 100 kWh Tesla Power Pack.
www.teslamotors.com...

The Tesla Power Pack

Each unit provides 100 kWh

combined Tesla Power Pack units in frames

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

While i agree with the concept , it has quite a few failings for now . When they have solar powered 747s for instance i might tend to agree .

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I like Elon, he seems a fairly down to earth sort of guy. I like his quote on how to make a small fortune investing in 'space technologies', he said "First you start with a large fortune..."

If I had a few billion, I'd probably spend a bit on solar, too.

The thing is, it is still inefficient, expensive and fragile (solar panels, both passive & PV, despite their major cost, don't last forever and you find you have to buy everything all over again, periodically (Few energy companies mention that little caveat).

edit on 8/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I think what matters most is that it's possible and feasible. It will naturally evolve.

How much is existence worth to you?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

747's ? .. that's a ridiculous statement.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   

You made this statement .

The Entire Planet Can Go Solar Right Now!

I gave an example why it cant .
So .
Why is my statement ridiculous .

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Also, I suspect the cost of the panels and batteries will be paid over it's lifetime, though it may not bring in as much cash as coal.

That is the problem of the world, we let profit rule our decisions, and do not consider what is best for the world. A sure recipe to win the Darwin Award.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Your statement = 747's cannot run on solar energy, therefore the planet cannot run on solar energy.

I'll let others decide on that one.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

No i said the concept had a few failings for now . Insert apology here .............,

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Your statement = 747's cannot run on solar energy, therefore the planet cannot run on solar energy.

I'll let others decide on that one.

He's right. You either mean the planet as in Earth alone, or the planet as in Earth and everything on it.

Many airplanes can't run on solar, therefore the entire planet can not.
edit on 8-12-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

I think what matters most is that it's possible and feasible. It will naturally evolve.

How much is existence worth to you?

The truth is, I have already made some investment in solar in my current house. Water is heated using passive solar. The house is double glazed and arranged to capture low-slant winter sun and heat the polished concrete floors.In summer, the sun's angle is too high and the heat remains outdoors. I also have several wind and PV rigs for pumps & specific equipment. I have invested in solar for years and am very aware of the costs involved.

Also, solar is not the ONLY possible solution to our energy woes. Fossil fuels will go but the hydrogen economy, fusion, Thorium nuclear and biofuels are looming, too.

edit on 8/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
Also, solar is not the ONLY possible solution to our energy woes. Fossil fuels will go but the hydrogen economy, fusion and biofuels are looming, too.

Fusion reactors should help in the not too distant future.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Also, solar is not the ONLY possible solution to our energy woes. Fossil fuels will go but the hydrogen economy, fusion and biofuels are looming, too.

Edited my previous post to add Thorium.

Liquid Thorium reactors are current technology, too - not needing further development to get a working set.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I am happy to go solar or whatever energy as long as it is the cheapest. When I 'go green' I am referring to money as in cost. You can't expect people to spend more than they need to for energy when they are living paycheck to paycheck.
edit on 2015/12/8 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

While i agree with the concept , it has quite a few failings for now . When they have solar powered 747s for instance i might tend to agree .

Such argument is null and void.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The technology exists to replace fossil fuels and in the case of jet fuel they say it can be done at the cost as half what it costs to produce a gallon of gas.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
What to do in regions that don't get much sun? My little solar lights outside don't even light up much during the summer. I haven't seen the sun in over a week. It's been dark during the day, under heavy cloud cover

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

If you are hooked up to the grid right now then that question was already answered in the OP.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Edited my previous post to add Thorium.

Liquid Thorium reactors are current technology, too - not needing further development to get a working set.

I've been a fan of thorium for years. I just don't think they will ever catch on, bad for weaponization.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: hutch622

Such argument is null and void.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The technology exists to replace fossil fuels and in the case of jet fuel they say it can be done at the cost as half what it costs to produce a gallon of gas.

It's not solar.

Drawbacks? Only one, it seems: researchers warn it will be at least a decade before US ships are able to produce their own fuel on board.

So that's not today.

The predicted cost of jet fuel using the technology is in the range of three to six dollars per gallon,

That's not half of today's jet fuel cost.

That is amazing tech though, and shows the "solar only" thinking is flawed.
edit on 8-12-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join