It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magical World of Aquascaping/Living Terrariums (WITH PICTURES!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A long time ago I worked in a pet shop. My main job was to sell Reptiles and fish, and I had always had a passion keeping and conserving both. However, I did manage to convince the managers to let me use some of the products we sold in the store, and add a little 'flare' to the terrariums and aquariums. I would honestly a good half day creating the most realistic looking habitats I could, in order for the animals to live in the most comfortable way.

A few years later, I discovered I wasn't the only person who wanted to do these kinds of things, and thats when I found "living terrariums" and "Aquascaping". Basically, it's an attempt to either recreate the animals' natural habitat, using living plants, or to create miniaturized versions of natural features with living plants.

So, I'm here to share with you what could potentially be your next fish tank/terrarium!

Here's some of the different plants they use to imitate larger ones

WARNING: THESE IMAGES AND VIDEOS MAY BE TOO INSPIRING.

AQUASCAPE

Tutorial

LIVING TERRARIUMS

Hope you enjoyed! If you have any of your own, I'd love to see them!

edit on 7/12/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

That's is awesome.

I'm going to have to make one.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
That's really cool! I especially like the one where it's a room you can walk into. The floating rocks were clever, too.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
those tanks are killer. gave me all kinds of ideas.
i have worked in several pet stores through the years. always caring for the freshwater fish.
i have been keeping cichlids for 30 years.
i have always been very particular about how i stocked the tank and how i made it look.

thanks for that man.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
On of my lizards would love this ....I think the other would rather stay in her dark mossy Tupperware container.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

They aren't expensive to make, at all. So if you have a tank, have a it

Just make sure to do A LOT of research beforehand. Some plants get too overgrown, or cause too much algae, or worse, they could be toxic to the animals.

The aquariums/terrariums may take several months to grow before they can adequately house animals.

But, it's an extremely rewarding goal once reached.

You can even design them to be totally self sustaining, in both aquariums and terrariums

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Double post.......
edit on 7/12/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The floating rock set up is freaking amazing!
And yes! Totally inspired now!

Really wish i had my salt water set up still.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
The floating rock set up is freaking amazing!
And yes! Totally inspired now!

Really wish i had my salt water set up still.

those were cool.
i have a parachromis dovii that would love that.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They should make a complete landscape out of it and make a movie about it like how they did with avatar without less computer graphics that is.

That would be beyond mind blowing, it's like bringing your childhood dreams onto the big screen with less artificial stuff and more natural beauty.

edit on 7-12-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Lovely. I think any aquarium fish would be happy to call any one of these home.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I really need to get back into the hobby ... these threads always make me miss it.

I need to get my personal computer up and running first though.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Absolute awesomeness

Who would not want something like this?

S&F

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
WOW! I definitely have to come back in here when I have more time! Absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

10 out 10 for that.

thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The one that looks like pine trees and hills is rediculous... I thought that was hd pic on a tv monitor at first.

Awesome topic!

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Awesome hobby and thread!
Great to see so many cool projects, I love aquascaping - but I'm in a bit of a 'overrun' kind of state at the moment due to an invasive species that got in my main tank. Can't get rid of the damn stuff....

Anyway, it's been so long since someone made a thread on the subject we need more people in the peaceful hobby! I made an old thread about this very topic which has quite a few more pictures in it, and some the same as your as well
Take a look if anyone wants to see more stuff.

There was an update I did showing my favourite tanks from the 2014 AGA show, and a small update when we lost Takashi Amano sadly earlier this year.

Thread can be seen here Planted Tank

(please mods, not saying to close this thread mine is very old now so this is a worthy updated thread!)
edit on 8-12-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Very cool
I can't tell which I like more, when people go big and make these insanely massive tanks, or when they scale it down and make it appear like a full scene in just 25-40 gallons. Either way, they all seem to kick ass in the end.

The bi-annual Reptile and Amphibian show in my city is beginning to see living terrariums being sold there. They are usually 5-12 months old and look awesome, stocked with a bunch of critters to keep the mold down and everything living. They actually go for $200-$400 each, for a smaller Exo-Terra, vertical terrarium. Not a bad profit

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Well you warned me. First Star Citizen, now this. ATS is starting to become too expensive!

Seriously, very cool, and ever since my first diorama as a kid creating miniature landscapes has been an interest of mine. Been waiting for the kids to get a bit older before starting a terrarium again (I had one years ago.) Flagging & Bookmarking for future reference.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Amazing shares

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join