It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upgrading my pc today need some advice.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Nice. I've just built a rig for iRacing out of parts I had lying around, just needing a decent GPU now but I'll wait until after xmas to see what deals there are. Was skint during Black friday so bit gutted i missed out on it.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

It really does pay to visit the online shops that are on the 20th page of google sometimes
I saw it and just thought bugger it on my card
(which I have just paid off).
edit on 6-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: benwyatt
just make sure you use a LIBERAL amount of heat sink compound between the cpu and heat-sink.

Not necessary.
A pea sized amount placed in the middle of the cpu is more than enough. It will spread as pressure is applied from the heatsink.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SilentE

The fan unit that will come with it already has it on I have checked this out and happy because I will not overclock it or owt.

Just waiting waiting....
edit on 6-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

guess it depends on your definition of liberal........ and how grumpy you are.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
That 960 should do you just fine for a bit.

I just upped mine from a GeForce 210 to a GTX 750 and I'm having a blast with it.

It's paired with a crappy Core 2 Duo, but it taking everything I have thrown at it so far.

Also just found out my big sis if getting me an Xbone for X-mas, soon I will be playing Fallout 4 and I can't frakin' wait.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

guess it depends on your definition of liberal........ and how grumpy you are.

Grumpy? Where in my post did you come to that conclusion? lol

Liberal means a generous amount. A generous amount is not necessary.
I'm not sure what your definition of liberal is....unless you meant that the OP should use a tolerant thermal compound or maybe that the compound is part of the Liberal party?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

slap that crap in all at once! do it in less than 5 minutes..... including a cleaning!

just make sure you use a LIBERAL amount of heat sink compound between the cpu and heat-sink.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... This isn't the political thread! J/K, but really, "liberal" is probably a bad choice of word there.

Use really good thermal compound, but not a liberal amount!

A good guideline is to use the thickness of masking tape. I put masking tape around the borders of the CPU (maybe in about 1mm of each edge), slather a bit around, then, using a razor blade with the edges dragging across both ends of the masking tape (to create the miniscule thickness), make a pass across the thermal compound to make the thickness match that of the tape. Add if necessary, discard the extra. Remove the tape. Done.

I learned this years ago after burning out a CPU by using too much. It's meant to disperse and transfer heat to the copper heat sink & fan. When you use too much, it traps heat in the thermal compound, close to the CPU.

I'm hoping you're successfully finished and playing Fallout 4 by now (though I must admit jealousy as I've been holding off my new build) but my theory is throw it all in at once, cross fingers, but have an F-bomb ready to drop off anything goes wrong and take it from there.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Phew what a do!.
Well the processor is great but the gfx card well when the card kicked in I thought a harrier jump jet was in my PC, the back plate got very very hot and the fans appeared to be the problem.
I attempted putting a fps limit on the card but it still was very loud so I checked online and learnt about coil something but after hearing that on you tube I figured out the fan bearings were not right.
Rang the bloke who gave me the deal and he has talked me into getting a MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr 5 Graphics Card - 4GB instead
He gave me a price which while a little more sort of puts my rig into the realm of running the rift already
next gonna get new fans a new MOBO next year and a new case oh and more memory, maybe 150 quid more spent and I have myself a right ninja pc
edit on 7-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Oh and funny story I spent an hour putting it all together double and triple checking everything, plug it in flick the switch on the back.....nothing....
Hearts pounding so I unplug the power cables plug them back in double check everything again turn it on..nothing.
Then I remembered to push the on switch on the front of the computer BINGO!

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

when you said pea sized amount (liberal/excessive to me). But then again i have seen some rather unusual and different sized peas.

i guess i can start being more precise and bury this nonsense in the future.

i say use an ~ 5mm cubed volume of compound spread to ~.25 mm thick [
]

On the other hand, i will give you points for the left wing jab. that was a true insult

edit on 7-12-2015 by benwyatt because: joke

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I learned this years ago after burning out a CPU by using too much. It's meant to disperse and transfer heat to the copper heat sink & fan. When you use too much, it traps heat in the thermal compound, close to the CPU.
a reply to: dogstar23

I had the exact opposite experience when i was learning. Now if i had thought up the tape idea at the time.... i guess i would have left enough on to save that pentium 4.... yes i am young.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Any vendor selling you "defective" parts is selling you "used or counterfeit" parts in my opinion. Seen it too much at the local flea markets and "reputable stores" that leave town before before their 12 month lease is up.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: benwyatt

The deal I have gotten
I bet I couldn't have got them 2nd hand at the price I have paid.
Nah it was a brand spanker had the factory smell to it still just the fans.
5 hours till my gtx 970 gets here

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: benwyatt

The deal I have gotten
I bet I couldn't have got them 2nd hand at the price I have paid.
Nah it was a brand spanker had the factory smell to it still just the fans.
5 hours till my gtx 970 gets here

I realize this thread is a little old, so I don't know if you'll see this. Anyway i've had the gtx 960 in my amazon wishlist for a while now. Do you think you just got a bad one?

Even with all the noise did it still run fallout 4 pretty well or would you recommend going ahead and getting a better one?

I'd really hate to upgrade my pc with something that just barely meets the minimum requirements.

<< 1   >>

join