It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists on 3 continents now have evidence: Some chimps have entered the Stone Age.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Just saw this, though it was originally published in August.

It's just kind of mind blowing to think about a second species of primate rising up on the Earth ala Planet of The Apes.

I have seen chimps using tools before, though usually just found objects like sticks. If chimps are fashioning tools (or have been for hundreds of years as the link reports) it's a whole new ballgame.

Link to the monkey business

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

So, in other words, smarter than Kanye' West and more practical than a politician?

Hmmm interesting.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Thats funny news i guess, been laughing at the joke that humans came from ape and other monkeys are coming from behind.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
No idea what that article is saying or what evidence there is for those claims. 2 paragraphs of blabla and a bunch of photos to fill up space.

I believe this to be a bunch of nonsense, they even claim Spain has given some human rights to apes.

Many countries like New Zealand and the U.K. have banned experiments on chimpanzees and other apes, and some others, like Spain, have gone as far as to grant them limited human rights.

I really wonder what those human rights are, it can't be much if you're familiar with their politics.
Gotta watch out what you're doing these days when walking around in the streets of Spain.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo
What? monkeys coming from behind? Whats next...gay rights for monkeys?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I find it baffling that one species can evolve to where we are today while all other species have remained very similar in appearance/intelligence.

There is a massive difference between species evolving their hunting techniques and humans evolving from living in caves to traveling into space.

Can anyone explain to me why only the human species has evolved a lot more quickly than every other species.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: InMyShell
I find it baffling that one species can evolve to where we are today while all other species have remained very similar in appearance/intelligence.

There is a massive difference between species evolving their hunting techniques and humans evolving from living in caves to traveling into space.

Can anyone explain to me why only the human species has evolved a lot more quickly than every other species.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry..........

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: InMyShell

One solution is we arrived later in the game, already developed.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I've seen birds using stones to open nuts (can't remember what documentary) does that mean they also are in the stone age?

And what about this crow? What "age" is he in?

Crows using traffic to crack walnut

edit on 4-12-2015 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I vote for Chimp over Trump all day, any day.

Entered the Stone Age eh? I will have to give this article a good read. I recently created a thread about chimps taking care of their disabled children so this news is very intriging.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
At certain point, they'll start developing more elaborated thoughts. They will see us as gods, we'll make them build pyramids.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

So Planet of the Apes is now officially a documentary.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
that article was complete bull#, no science in it at all. it must be an ad for something but i have no idea what.
there was no evolution in that article at all. i am pretty sure there was a similar article saying the same thing about another animal a few months back. cant remember what animal it was talking about tho.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
At certain point, they'll start developing more elaborated thoughts. They will see us as gods, we'll make them build pyramids.

Screw that!

This is the digital age...I want a cube. A big frakking cube.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Been there done that! Okay? Those fecking chimps are miles behind us. Regards Clyde.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

"The tools are crude. A chimpanzee or monkey stone hammer is hardly a work of art to rival the beauty of an ancient human hand axe. But that's not the point. These primates have developed a culture that makes routine use of a stone-based technology. That means they have entered the Stone Age."

Welcome, my fellow man-in-progress. Without alien intervention, you're going to end up ugly and hairy, so keep up the good work and you just might get noticed. My advice to you and other like minded monkeys... Humans have already screwed up the place, remain ignorant while you still can!

edit on 4-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
double post

See monkeys, we are flawed!!

edit on 4-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
is there a not bird that also ingests stones to help digest food. so birds are in the stone age as well?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

When they start taxing each other, eliminate that strain of the species.

Please.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Chimpanzees have been observed using "tools" for half a century. Jane Goodall made her name in anthropology over her observations of this. In other words, it isn't new. Secondly, it only works if you stretch the definition to include the most elementary modification of an object to turn it into a "tool." It's not like they are making Solutrean projectile points out of flint or obsidian.

When chimpanzees start making campfires at night to ward against the cold and cook their meat, let us know, but this isn't really too much to get excited about.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join