It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATD-X first flight in first quarter 2016

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Japan is set to become the fourth nation to fly an indigenous stealth fighter design. The ATD-X is set to fly in the first quarter of 2016. If the program goes forward, it potentially could replace the F-2.

The ATD-X is built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, with engines built by IHI. After the initial test flights, the aircraft will be turned over to the JSDF for testing.

Japan has 42 F-35As on order. If developed and put into service, this would give Japan a second stealth aircraft in their inventory.

www.bloomberg.com...
edit on 12/4/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Zero sen for the 21st century
Nice nimble looking beasty..They really must have been putting in late nighters to get one ready for flight testing early next year.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Does anyone else see a stealth F-5 when they look at this? Will be interested to see how it stacks up to the F-35. My questions will lie in it's stealth. Japan is more than capable of producing the actual aircraft reliably and with high quality; I'm more curious about how the design and coatings will stack up to the American standard. Fun to watch.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

That's the big question on all the stealth aircraft out there. We've managed to get the RCS of some of our aircraft down to levels thought to be damn near impossible when the B-2 was developed. And have moved into areas that will ensure stealth is relevant for years.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Are there any clear numbers on it's T/W or it's capabilities compared to the F-2/F-16/F-15... etc. Japan desperately needs this and as many 5th gen aircraft as possible, to include the F-35.

I have a feeling this will be a decent aircraft. It may not match the F-22 or F-35 in relevance but I do think it will be more than just tactically relevant. Not to mention their patriotism and heritage.. talk about a country begging for an aeronautical come-back.

'Realistically the F-2 is a long, long way off from being retired either way.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
We have 4 Mitsubishi (MHI) Gas Turbines in our Power Generation Fleet, we also have UK, German and American ones....

Noone else...

Just saying.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Love the video title:

"Bloomberg: Stealth jets are harder to detect by radar"

No # sherlock.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

Right now it's just a tech demonstrator, but it's got great numbers at this point. The question is if they can scale it up to a fighter and keep them there.

I'm having to find an average of the numbers I'm seeing to give you anything resembling hard numbers. You can go to three sites and get three different sets of numbers.
edit on 12/5/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Link in Japanese, but, they are stating the ATD-X will fly in February.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

And apparently, the ATD-X will be leading into the F-3 program with an F-3 prototype flying by 2024 and production slated (supposedly) for 2027.

The AvWeek article says the F-3 will be to replace the F-2. I thought the ATD-X was going to be to replace the F-15s?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Two things is see that may hurt this plane in the long run or majorly hinder its development.

1. a good deal of Japanese people are very leery about militarizing their country again. Having lived for the last 50 years with a very small defense budget a good deal of people are not looking forward to increased taxes (when things already cost a pretty penny as it is in Japan).

2. Japan isn't really as high tech as people think when it comes to certain things concerning inner office business, fax machines and snail mail are very much still used, the sort of open collaboration type stuff (like skype and even IM) are either not used or very frowned upon. I really think in order for this thing to not spiral out of control cost wise things need to change, because a lot of business over their is done the "old fashioned way".

TLDR; This thing is likely to be obsolete before it even gets mass produced or canceled after a small amount is produced due to the high costs involved. I think the Japanese people would rather put more money in their navy than lots of stealth fighters (that will most likely be in a defensive role anyway).

Just my two blobs of seagull excrement.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirChill
Two things is see that may hurt this plane in the long run or majorly hinder its development.

1. a good deal of Japanese people are very leery about militarizing their country again. Having lived for the last 50 years with a very small defense budget a good deal of people are not looking forward to increased taxes (when things already cost a pretty penny as it is in Japan).

2. Japan isn't really as high tech as people think when it comes to certain things concerning inner office business, fax machines and snail mail are very much still used, the sort of open collaboration type stuff (like skype and even IM) are either not used or very frowned upon. I really think in order for this thing to not spiral out of control cost wise things need to change, because a lot of business over their is done the "old fashioned way".

TLDR; This thing is likely to be obsolete before it even gets mass produced or canceled after a small amount is produced due to the high costs involved. I think the Japanese people would rather put more money in their navy than lots of stealth fighters (that will most likely be in a defensive role anyway).

Just my two blobs of seagull excrement.

Maybe they only dont want to lose in the "know how" against the chinese industrial-scientific development.
edit on 29-12-2015 by drwire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: drwire

I had a brain fart trying to figure out what your post actually meant. Does that make me a bad person?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sirChill

This isn't going to be mass produced. It's a tech demonstrator so they can learn what they don't know about making their own stealth aircraft. Unless it turns out to be a lot better than they expect they'll take the lessons learned from this and roll it into their own aircraft.
edit on 12/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

This isn't going to be mass produced. It's a tech demonstrator so they can learn what they don't know about making their own stealth aircraft. Unless it turns out to be a lot better than they expect they'll take the lessons learned from this and roll it into their own aircraft.

Ok, i'm confused now:
"....The ATD-X is set to fly in the first quarter of 2016. If the program goes forward, it potentially could replace the F-2."

I'll take what you said as an agreement, its not going to make it to production...lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

As I said, unless it turns out to be much better than they expect, it's going to be a technology demonstrator. Right now it has no weapons systems, weighs less than 20,000 pounds empty, has a maximum takeoff weight of less than 30,000 pounds. It may evolve into a full up aircraft system, and replace the F-2, but as it stands right now it's a technology demonstrator to learn what they need to know about working with RAM and building 5th generation aircraft.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I remember reading that the ATD is a 2/3 scale version of what will be the F-3. Before ATD there was a 1/5 scale radio controlled test article. I like their systematic approach here.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I really do wonder if perhaps now, it may make more sense to keep this plane as just an advanced technology demonstrator, learn from the F-35 but then go hard at a 6th generation platform in about 10 years time? 5th generation aircraft, starting with the F-22, are already well over 20 years old in basic technology: that is a fighter generation. It would make more sense to simply put the effort into the next quantum leap.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Borys

Having the FACO and doing Depot maintenance will let them leap ahead of any potential opponents. It will also give them a great base for either 5th or 6tg generation aircraft.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I know some of the problems and associated costs were due to the US and technology transfer restrictions but I hope for their sake this doesn't go the same way the F2 program did cost wise.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join