It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antonov trying to Westernize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
After cutting ties with Russia, and putting their supply chain at risk, Kiev is looking to Westernize several aircraft, including the An-124.

Next year, during a heavy maintenance check, one of the An-124s will receive Western manufactured tires, brakes, and avionics. This will be followed by flight tests to validate the changes. Antonov is trying to reduce costs, one way being reducing crew through modernizing the avionics and cockpit.

Also being Westernized are the An-32, which will receive Pratt&Whitney engines and Honeywell avionics, and the An-70. The engines originally to be used can only be gotten through Russia, so new powerplants will be selected, and the aircraft redesigned the An-188.

m.aviationweek.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
A wave of change
Definately looks like a move in the right direction.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Last I heard Russia threw a fit over this. Any update on their response?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Nothing yet. They just confirmed the plan to go ahead with the An-124. I'm sure we'll hear a reaction soon though.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
So is Antonov a Ukrainian company? Sorry for the lame question, cant be arsed looking it up and the answer might help other me's reading this?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Yes. They have partners in Uzbekistan, Iran, and Russia, but are headquartered in Kiev.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yes. They have partners in Uzbekistan, Iran, and Russia, but are headquartered in Kiev.

Wow, hahaha, I cant believe I didn't know this, that is surely going to hurt Russia - do Russia fly any other large aircraft??

We had to hire an Antonov to get our flight simulator into India, the only one that could handle the weight on a rough landing strip (I think the flight training place was not an Airfield and the nearest airfield did not have a nice runway) or it could have been a short runway?

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

They will still be willing to sell aircraft to Russia, they can't afford not to. They feel that their parts and supply chain is at risk right now though, and are going to do whatever they can to protect it.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I thought Russia cancelled some Antonov sales following the recent souring of relations with Ukraine. Russia will probably seek to develop sales for domestic aircraft, such as those from Ilyushin. Bit of a problem for Russia in the short and medium term.

I wonder if Antonov will end up in a strategic partnership with a Western aircraft company?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I wonder if Antonov will end up in a strategic partnership with a Western aircraft company?

It will be a good thing if it did..Something Airbus would be salivating at..

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The time has come for Russia to use the experience earned during the soviet era to create a competitive more modern and effective replacement for Antonov heavy transport aircrafts. This shall be produced in Russia purely without any western imported component or electronics. Those aircrafts shall be not only for domestic use but also for world wide export, wherever heavy transport is useful for industrialized modern nations devoted to expansion through economic development. Therefore, no decrepits, west of Belarus.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

Not gonna happen. The airliner they're developing will eventually be all Russian, but like the SuperJet it will fail outside Russia.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

And they have recently partnered with China with regard to restarting production of the An225.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

And they have recently partnered with China with regard to restarting production of the An225.
It would be lovely to see that second 225 finished.

top topics

join