It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man in the white Van .....vs..... Truck camper ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm kinda debating maybe spending my summers RV-ing.

I just feel like I want to get out and see as much as I can while I can. Plus it's very cost effective in terms of not having to pay rent. The only thing I'm wondering is would it be better to get a cargo van and convert it into a camper van, or get a truck and a camper? They both seem to have there pro's and con's. But I think a Van would probably attract a lot less attention, you could park it longer in places most likely.

What are you're thoughts?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

You won't be able to park and hide. Wherever you go, there is a police cruiser all night patrolling, every street and alley. Since most towns have ordnances about sleeping within the city limits you are pretty much relegated to trailer parks or camping spots.

If you get a bigger motor home, carry a motor bike or tow a small car for use when "camped out".

If you get a smaller camper make sure its a cab in camper style , so you can drive off without getting out.

Recommend the smaller cab in camper, the smaller the engine the less gas you guzzle, the more mobile you are, the more ground you can cover, the less you are in one place, the better.

You might even find a place you can't live without, where you can settle. Thats why they're called settlers, its what they settle for.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
I'm kinda debating maybe spending my summers RV-ing.

I just feel like I want to get out and see as much as I can while I can. Plus it's very cost effective in terms of not having to pay rent. The only thing I'm wondering is would it be better to get a cargo van and convert it into a camper van, or get a truck and a camper? They both seem to have there pro's and con's. But I think a Van would probably attract a lot less attention, you could park it longer in places most likely.

What are you're thoughts?

You can live in any national forest for up to 14 days without being bothered, then you need to move to a different site.
I would recommend setting up a tent and using a van to get to town and back. Then after 14 days, move on to a different national forest.

Also, 24 hr wal-marts. just park your van there and get a good nights sleep, no one will ever know...

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
My wife and I are debating this as well, she wants a truck and trailer for the convenience of being able to unhook while shopping for food and such as an RV would have issues parking in some areas. I want the RV mainly because then I don't have to get out to into the living area and one of us could nap in a bed while the other drives.

As with all husband and wife debates...... guess who's looking at trailers. lol

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: lavatrance

You won't be able to park and hide. Wherever you go, there is a police cruiser all night patrolling, every street and alley. Since most towns have ordnances about sleeping within the city limits you are pretty much relegated to trailer parks or camping spots.
Wow, sounds oppressive in the US.
No such ordnances here in the UK, you can sleep in a car or van wherever you like so long as you don't violate parking restrictions and the vehicle is taxed/legal etc.
I thought it was supposed to be the land of the free?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No longer free, sadly. Gotta pay, gotta… pay.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I bought a great Pop-up camper on craigslist for 400 bucks.. They pull easy, and you always have your SUV or truck with you..

I love pop-up camping..

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That being the case then I'd say to the OP go with a van, much easier to get places than a truck and trailer, as a previous poster said, Walmart car parks and similar.

A van is no problem here in the UK on public streets though, just needs to be legally on the road. Last time I slept in a van cops did knock on the window but just as a 'welfare check' to see we were all good. I was with a girlfriend at the time and all they wanted to know was that she was okay, not kidnapped by me or anything.
When they were happy I wasn't a psycho killer they smiled and left us to it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

You can live in any national forest for up to 14 days without being bothered, then you need to move to a different site.
I would recommend setting up a tent and using a van to get to town and back. Then after 14 days, move on to a different national forest.

Fine, except its a ways from those places to town and back. The cost of gas commuting back and forth, no hookups, limits on fires, length of stay (monitored by your friendly Ranger Rick) and vulnerability to other felons makes it about equal to staying closer to town or on turnouts, truckers parks, etc. Little bit cheaper to overnight in town or on the roadside, as long as you don't stay too long, might even getaway with a night or two until asked to "move on".

Thats why a smaller cab in camper is the better alternative, to pick up and leave, you just drive off…

I don't know about nationally, but here in Silicon Valley Wal Marts have huge parking lots and look the other way for over nighters. If you like adventure there are hiways with perpetual road side flea markets in some places, along the tracks (noisy), and homeless cities like "Slab City" outside Los Angeles. There people network in a modern hobo fashion traveling rail cars and truckers routes. They have good info on the remaining "land of free-dom" (where stuff is still free).
edit on 2-12-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Intrptr is correct, there are ordinances to keep people from sleeping in their cars on the roads in the states. I had no idea you could do that in the U.K. Even Wal-Mart parking lots have patrolling cops at times, although I think you could get away with sleeping there. In fact, I heard they have a policy of letting people in campers park there overnight.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Last time I slept in a van cops did knock on the window but just as a 'welfare check' to see we were all good. I was with a girlfriend at the time and all they wanted to know was that she was okay, not kidnapped by me or anything.
When they were happy I wasn't a psycho killer they smiled and left us to it.

Wholly different experience here in megalopolis, USA. You can park anywhere, just count on being woke up, asked to exit the vehicle, present valid drivers license, vehicle registration and insurance, which they will run for outstanding warrants, a battery of whatsis whosis questions, vehicle "inspection" (inside and out) and a warning to not be found there the next night, move along…

You haven't been detained, arrested or charged with anything the whole time, just as long as you cooperate fully.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Intrptr is correct, there are ordinances to keep people from sleeping in their cars on the roads in the states. I had no idea you could do that in the U.K.
Yep, no laws against sleeping in vehicles in the UK at all, on any public streets, so long as the vehicle is legally on the road.

As I said you may get a 'welfare check' from the cops if they drive past and see condensation on the windows, but that really is only to make sure all is cool with whoever is inside. I'm kind of shocked that there are any laws stopping folk from sleeping in vehicles, seems alien to me.
In my darkest moments I've always taken comfort that whatever happens so long as I have my van then I'll never be on the streets. Local leisure centre/gyms for a shower, good to go.

I have a wide social circle which means I'll never 'need' to sleep in my van, but I know if I did I could still hold a job down and survive quite comfortably. Local ordnances sound Orwellian to me, I'm genuinely shocked.

*Edit*
@intrptr - That sounds #ing horrible

edit on 2.12.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Single male roaming around in a coverted cargo van these days is gonna garner some unwanted attention, just remember not to paint "free candy" on the side.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

It is not as bad as some people would make you think.. I have slept in my car countless times and have never been messed with by anyone..

Just dont "set up camp" on a public street lol.. Nap for a few hours and move to another spot.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Ordnances prohibiting the sleeping in vehicles would be 'bad enough' for me. Okay, I get that individual cops may turn a blind eye, but it is the fact that it is illegal which is the scandal.
How have US citizens allowed such draconian laws to be created?
It really is Orwellian, and completely alien to me, here in the UK a vehicle is your last line of defence against sleeping on the streets, long may it stay that way.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Yep, no laws against sleeping in vehicles in the UK at all, on any public streets, so long as the vehicle is legally on the road.

That may be changing… Paris and terror and security state and all…

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

You're responding to a single post by one person who is vastly overstating the case. He's "free" to say whatever he wants. I've done it many dozens of times (I wanted to say 'hundreds,' but that may be exaggerating) and never once has any "police cruiser" stopped by and told me I had to move. If nothing else you can park at any Wal-Mart, which allows 'camper traffic.' and there's one of those nearly anywhere. If you're stupid enough to park a van next to an elementary school, you can expect to be scrutinized.

Regarding camper or van, if you really want amenities "fixing up" a van to provide them is a whole lot of work compared to getting something that is pre-built. There are lots of vans built as campers, though, and you ought to be able to get a used one without breaking the bank.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That may be changing… Paris and terror and security state and all…
Haha behave! There are no calls for such legislation at all. May I ask why you think the Paris shootings will influence laws governing citizens sleeping in vehicles?
Ain't gonna happen fella, I'd put all my money on it, and happily eat humble pie if I was wrong.

...remember we're not as paranoid here in the UK, even CCTV which US folk bleat about actually protects us. Police used to beat us in the 80's but cameras in cars, stations and cells have put a stop to all that. I speak from experience.
I've also been cleared by police after a fight with a roid-rage security guard in town, again I had the local government CCTV to thank for that, without video evidence I would have been charged for sure because I won the fight.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
You're responding to a single post by one person who is vastly overstating the case.
So are there laws officially preventing US citizens from sleeping in vehicles on public streets, or not?
If the laws exist then regardless of how much they are enforced it is an infringement of your freedoms which we do not have in the UK.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Maybe, you are an Island state, its own form of protection. Kind of removes you like us, the twin Moats of the Pacific and Atlantic.

Thing is I'm watching the terror playbook run there just like it did here in the states, page for page. Once you been thru that you recognize it being used elsewhere. And I could be wrong, too (removes hat) but consider this. The war on terror is about conquest and protecting the conquerors not only from blowback in the form of warring back, but protecting the state form its own citizens in case they rise up against unjust wars.

Thats about increased surveillance, increased police activity, limiting freedom of movement, and making everyone suspicious of each other. Here that translates to "See something, say something". In a frenzy of--- turn in your neighbors, there is an ever-increasing cry for security and people calling in reports to police of suspicious guy sleeping in a camper out front.

It is a gradual shift, but slippery slope.

Get ready for increased terror level alerts, more cops everywhere, less liberties, and handwringing peoples crying for more stiffer sentences for lesser crimes.

Something must be done!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join