It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A queer finding: gender isn’t binary

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This quote stood out to me from the recent article:

Although the team only looked at brain structure, and not function, their findings suggest that we all lie along a continuum of what are traditionally viewed as male and female characteristics. “The study is very helpful in providing biological support for something that we’ve known for some time – that gender isn’t binary,” says Meg John Barker, a psychologist at the Open University in Milton Keynes, UK.

The findings will still come as a surprise to many, including scientists, says Bruce McEwen at the Rockefeller University in New York. “We are beginning to realise the complexity of what we have traditionally understood to be ‘male’ and ‘female’, and this study is the first step in that direction,” he says. “I think it will change peoples’ minds.”

Genderless future

Joel envisions a future in which individuals are not so routinely classified based on gender alone. “We separate girls and boys, men and women all the time,” she says. “It’s wrong, not just politically, but scientifically – everyone is different.”

Joel’s findings can be used to help many people understand the non-binary nature of gender, says Barker. After all, some people don’t identify as either male or female, and others feel their gender identity shift over time. “It’s a shame that people’s experience alone isn’t enough for us to recognise as a society that non-binary gender is legitimate.”

“We need to start thinking a lot more carefully about how much weight we give to gender as a defining feature of human beings, and stop asking for it in situations where it simply isn’t relevant,” says Barker.

So I guess that means no queer brains either?
Perhaps it takes a queer brain to publish a study like this.

What do you say, ATS, is gender binary, or not?

Only Yes or No will accepted as an answer =)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
If they only looked at structure and not function, then I'd say it's pretty inconclusive.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Wonder who funded the research ?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

It seems pretty cut and dried to me, but there is no limit to what you can conclude scientifically if you have an agenda to prove and especially if you are receiving funding to come to a particular conclusion.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
No, Gender is not Binary, the West are the ones who created a two Gender Binary system, as i have stated numerous times Multiple Genders have existed throughout various cultures and were not only recognized but celebrated and seen as Special and Gifted. not "Mental Defects" or ""Illness"

www.nature.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Are you looking for gender confused people to be treated as 'special and gifted' now? I don't think so.

Somehow you managed to confuse yourself about something very simple.

edit on 2015/12/1 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
No. Gender is a spectrum. Society and culture are what want to make it binary.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija
Western societies in general favor, specifically, two polar opposites.

Men and Women.
Black and White.
Good and Bad.
Right and Wrong.

Etc...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Maybe.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

It seems pretty cut and dried to me, but there is no limit to what you can conclude scientifically if you have an agenda to prove and especially if you are receiving funding to come to a particular conclusion.

Science! Ruuuuuuun! Don't change my world view!!!! Run away, run away! Humanity can't learn new things without an evil agenda! Ruuuuun for your lives, aaaaaahhhh!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here we go again, can't we just all live and let live...

Who cares if gender is binary or not, to me, you're another human being with feelings the same as me, regardless of race or gender.

There is really no need to compartmentalize this ideas, as all is one, and one is all.

Peace

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
No, Gender is not Binary, the West are the ones who created a two Gender Binary system, as i have stated numerous times Multiple Genders have existed throughout various cultures and were not only recognized but celebrated and seen as Special and Gifted. not "Mental Defects" or ""Illness"

www.nature.com...

Exactly, go to Samoa and tell them that there are only two genders.

Fa'afafine are a third-gender people of Samoa and the Samoan diaspora. A recognized identity/role since at least the early 20th century in Samoan society, and some theorize an integral part of traditional Samoan culture, fa'afafine are male at birth, and explicitly embody both masculine and feminine gender traits, fashioned in a way unique to this part of the world. Their behavior typically ranges from extravagantly feminine to mundanely masculine.[1]

Wikipedia

I've met a few, fascinating culture!

EDIT: There is no such thing as "gay" or "homosexual" in that culture.
edit on 1-12-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija
No. Gender is a spectrum. Society and culture are what want to make it binary.

It's still a spectrum between two absolutes though. It's not like there is some 3rd point other than male and female included on the spectrum. The problem is thinking that everyone is either on one side or the other when really most people are found somewhere in between the two points. This is hardly ground breaking either. How anyone could not already know this is strange unless they have been living totally cut off from the world.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Cool findings. Be gay all you want but there are only two genders one has a penis the other a vagina how you use them is up too you and it's a preference not a gender.

Hermaphrodies are the exception but that's a genetic defect.

edit on 1-12-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Cool findings. Be gay all you want but there are only two genders sexes one has a penis the other a vagina how you use them is up too you and it's a preference not a gender.

Hermaphrodies are the exception but that's a genetic defect.

Fixed part of that for you. There's nothing I can do to help the rest. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
A Feminine man isn't a new gender they still have a penis still male. You said it great your self cool culture instead of cool/new gender. These Men(male) have a different culture not a different gender.

a reply to: MystikMushroom

edit on 1-12-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sweet thanks. chromosomes seem to think otherwise.

Xx
Xy

a reply to: Freija

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Bulls**t

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Sweet thanks. chromosomes seem to think otherwise.

Xx
Xy

You realize there are more than just XX and XY, right?

e:Read up on it
edit on 19Tue, 01 Dec 2015 19:37:14 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join