It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany commits to anti-ISIS coalition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is starting to look more and more like a serious war forming,I guess Germany was feeling left out.

The German government says it will join the military campaign against Islamic State in Syria, but has ruled out any cooperation with the country’s president Bashar Assad. The plans will see Berlin sending 1,200 personnel to the region, but in an advisory role.

The decision to commit to the fight against Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) was taken by Chancellor Angela Merkel’s cabinet on Tuesday, according to a government official cited by Reuters.

Under the plans, Germany will send Tornado reconnaissance planes, refueling aircraft, a naval frigate and as many as 1,200 military personnel, who will be used to support and pilot German aircraft sent to the region. However, the move still has to gain approval from the lower house of parliament, who will hold a vote regarding the issue on Wednesday.

A German frigate could head towards the Mediterranean Sea to help French warplanes in attacks against Islamic State in Syria within the next few days, according to TASS.

If the proposals are given the go ahead, Merkel said there would be no cooperation between Berlin’s armed forces and President Assad.

"The top line is: there will be no cooperation with Assad and no cooperation with troops under his command," German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen told ARD television.

However, she has not ruled out Germany cooperating with some people who are currently aligned with Assad in trying to make sure that the country does not fall apart

"We must avoid the collapse of the state of Syria," she said, adding that mistakes made in Iraq, when groups who had been loyal to Saddam Hussein were excluded from joining the political system after his defeat, should not be repeated.

"But let me be clear - there will be no future with Assad," she stressed.

However, the move has brought condemnation from some parts of the German political spectrum. The leader of the opposition Left Party, Sarah Wagenknecht said that if Germany joined the anti-IS coalition, it could create security risks closer to home.

"If you send German Tornados to Syria, you only create more terrorists and increase the danger of an attack in Germany," Wagenknecht said.

The move for Germany to commit military hardware and troops to Syria comes in the wake of the deadly Paris terror attacks on November 13, which killed 130 people.

On Monday, Berlin called for a "special purpose” alliance that will unite major global powers, including the US and Russia, in battle against a common enemy – the IS terror group.

The top priority within the coalition should be to destroy the IS oil revenue, the German defense minister stressed. The aim is “to weaken ISIS, restricting its range of movement, destroying its training camps...tying up oil revenues,” von der Leyen said.

In November, Germany’s interior ministry, Thomas de Maiziere revealed that hundreds of potential terrorists with real battle experience had moved to Germany, the majority of which were German citizens, who were returning home after fighting with radical Islamist groups in Iraq and Syria.

The number of potential attackers currently living in Germany is “higher than ever before,” de Maiziere said, estimating the number of German citizens joining terrorists at 760 people, about one-fifth of them women, who usually do not fight among jihadists, but rather “assisting” the terrorists “in other ways,” de Maiziere said.

Monitoring all of the “returnees” requires a lot of resources and is difficult for legal reasons, the minister mentioned, saying that German security agencies are keeping track of only about 70 of the IS-linked jihadists that came back to Germany. Many of them are facing prison terms.

Source: www.rt.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede
This is starting to look more and more like a serious war forming,I guess Germany was feeling left out.

No, Germany is just acting on orders from the US ... they're too stupid not to.

The interesting part is, where is this all going ... who are the players here? Anybody want to take a shot at, who the real players are?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

The interesting part is, where is this all going ... who are the players here? Anybody want to take a shot at, who the real players are?

You go first.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

This is World War in the making. Russia is pro-Assad and anti-FSA. USA is pro-FSA and anti-Assad, and now Germany wants a piece. ISIS was never the issue, it was always the bait. The issue is the West's desire to dethrone Assad and consolidate the Levant into a Western controlled confederation (unity via puppetry).

We will see that the West is prepared to escalate this proxy war into WW3 before letting Assad go.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Monitoring all of the “returnees” requires a lot of resources and is difficult for legal reasons, the minister mentioned, saying that German security agencies are keeping track of only about 70 of the IS-linked jihadists that came back to Germany. Many of them are facing prison terms

From the OP's external post

Didn't I read somewhere they have around 1,000 'returnees"? It seems fool hearty to only be tracking 70 of them. If it's difficult "for legal reasons", maybe they need to think about changing that.

I guess the world won't stop until there is absolutely nothing left of Syria, and even then, the issues (ISIL) will remain.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

I know the US is

NOT

Honestly I believe we are being sold as commercial property. We as in USA.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

If Germany are involved then you know it's world war time. Please pardon my subtle racism.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Didn't I read somewhere they have around 1,000 'returnees"? It seems fool hearty to only be tracking 70 of them. If it's difficult "for legal reasons", maybe they need to think about changing that.

I guess the world won't stop until there is absolutely nothing left of Syria, and even then, the issues (ISIL) will remain.

The route to the middle east, is Turkey, via Greece, and to Germany ... so yeah, Germany doesn't appear to have much interest in guarding the borders. Especially when the Chancellor said "all welcome". For the past two years, there have been a lot of ... basically "free" tourist trips to Turkey. I wonder who pays the bills behind those, because that can't be cheap and doesn't really pay off either ... because "we" ain't buying stuff on those trips.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is one big test. I doubt this is a pre cursor to a world war. How the internationally involved community handles these troublemakers will show us more than just a thing or two about current, Earth bound civilization.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
hmmm...is this not NATO's plans of also beefing up their military presence in that area, since Russia has openly vowed to beef it's operations against ISIS amidst the downing of the Russian jet by Turkey.

I mean, if there aren't any NATO presence there in Syria, if SHTF between Turkey and Russia than it be a disadvantage for NATO, so I see this move by Germany a kind of race to increase military presence in that area, in case the bear devours the Turkey in the not so distant future, by the looks of things escalating thus far.

Pretty worrying developments to say the least..

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This isn't going to end well, hell it is never going to end
edit on 1-12-2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This means almost nothing. The overwhelming military presence will remain the US. Small task forces from France, UK, the Arab States, Russia and now Germany play only a small role in over all conflict. US air power and its allied Iraqi, Kurdish and FSA ground forces are the only groups who will be settling this at the end of the day. Assad even backed by Iran, Hezbollah and Russia is never going to be able to control but, a small part of Syria. With no ability to recruit Syrians other the Alawites Assad will never have the manpower to much beyond hold on.

ISIS has been in retreat for sometime and that will continue. At some point they will have to decide to either consolidate and make stand in Syria or in Iraq as playing the coalition game of rushing to slow one advance and the having to pull out of another area allows the coalition to control the initiative and ISIS can not allow that to continue. The real bad day for ISIS is they day Russia gives up Assad. That will allow a new unified Syria and that is bad for ISIS.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
This isn't going to end well, hell it is never going to end

That's the plan. War is a business, operating on a cash only supply and demand system. Corporate profit on death and blood .

God help us!

edit on 1-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

Wrong, Germany is allied with Turkey and funding ISIS. This is just a stunt by Merkel to get troops and equipment there in case Russia attacks Turkey.

Germany's Hitler started the Muslim Brotherhood, Obama and Hillary support them and Germany to this day orders Turkey where and when to strike with their ISIS goons, the military arm of the Muslim Brother hood so they can still look somewhat political !! Germany was behind the coups in the Balkans to help the Muslims and hang out their Christan ally to be broke into pieces. Germany was and is behind the crap going on in Ukraine still today that has Russia pissed. Russia knows who is behind all this but can not take on NATO with the U.S. unless they got all out nuclear.

Putin will hopefully play this move very smart and make all of Syria off limits to these punks. He needs to get those 150,000 troops to Syria very quickly. While moving his Black Sea fleet out one by one while leaving just enough to attack Turkey from the north as well.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Germany commits suicide? Why not.

No army to do something and full of good hopes to create the big alliance with Nato, Russia and everyone else. Right on! Highly ambitious or just nothing but hot air. I'll go with the latter, given our trackrecord for diplomatic consistency under Muddis rule.
The Police State will get some updates soon, this comes quite handy. Coincidences, what else...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
USA, Canada, Britain, France, Turkey and now Germany.
edit on 2-12-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
World War III here we come! I hope it's not as bad as it could be, hopefully they leave the nukes out of it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Germany commits to anti-ISIS coalition

Perhaps its due to growing sick of being a servant to Washington and suffering the recent consequences in the form of flooding with immigrants almost all of whom are muslim and not necessarily from Syria.

What I'd like to know is exactly how many immigrants have gone from the middle east into Europe in the last 5 years and how much money has their combined total of fees amounted to. Strange how we rarely ever hear of these sorts of statistics.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
After Paris Germany promised Hollande to help and this is just that. 1200 soldiers, 6 tornados and a fregate to protect deGaules.
Almost the whole military, is going there, kind of cute...
But we just make reconnaissence and leave the bombing to the pros, US, France etc. In my opinion more symbolic than really helpfull...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

And a few months later, the outcome is ...

Turn on subtitles

top topics

<<   2 >>

join