It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

737 landing gear issues?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There have been four incidents this year of Boeing 737s landing and suffering landing gear collapses. Three of the four have been older aircraft, with the fourth being a 737-800.

The first incident was in April, when a Jet Airways 737-800 suffered a left main landing gear collapse while landing at Khajuraho. The left main collapsed within 10 seconds of landing. There were 59 passengers and 8 crew on board, with no reported injuries.

arffwg.org...

The second was when a Peruvian 737-300 suffered a right main collapse in October, while landing at the Cuzco-Alejandro Velasco AStete Airport. The aircraft had slowed and was preparing to taxi to the gate when the gear collapsed.

www.jacdec.de...

The third was also in October, when a Comair 737 suffered a left main collapse on landing in Johannesburg.

www.airlive.net...

The most recent was in Mexico on November 26th. A charter flight operated by Magnicharter, operating from Cancun to Mexico City suffered a landing gear collapse on landing. There were 139 passengers on board, with no injuries.

abcnews.go.com...

Prior to this year, there had been approximately 6 incidents on landing gear collapse, without a contributing factor such as a runway excursion since the 1990s.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Is this a shock strut issue, or are we talking about the entire mechanism?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

It's not clear yet. None of the investigations have released information beyond the initial reports that I've found.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Is it mechanical or possibly just poor maintenance within each of these foreign, smaller carriers? I'd be willing to bet it's the latter until something were to happen (which, hopefully doesn't) on more major carriers.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It's possible that it's a maintenance issue, but with three of them being older, it's possible that it's an issue cropping up with older aircraft.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Any landing you can walk away from right Zaph?

SnF

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Such a fine twin jet.......I'd be beside myself. So when they have a main failure...does the engine cowling hit? ...

A new air directive for the fleet..... the foreward spar takes a bang if the engine cowling hits
edit on 1-12-2015 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Yes. It lands on the engine and in the case of the Johannesburg incident, it fell back onto the tail and lifted the nose gear off the ground.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Fatigue cracks I would gather..

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This jogged my memory...

Add BA6234 737-400 on 26/10/15 to the list

www.express.co.uk...

I thought BA have a pretty good maintenance record...
edit on 2-12-2015 by Loque76 because: Grammar edits

join