It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Blatant double standard when it comes to race and the mainstream media

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It's all about perception.
Somebody feels unfairly targeted and treated.
Mustn't interrupt that daydream or the protesters might go home.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It doesn't work just one way. NYT described Michael Brown as "no angel" but described Robert Lewis Dear as a "gentle loner".

I thought they were going to write that about Robert Dear but, decided not to.

I'm honestly not positive...I just thought I read something along those lines over the weekend.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

GOD ALMIGHTY MAN.....JUST GIVE IT UP!
We all know the truth of this. Its established journalistic standard in the US! Its been going on and getting worse for the last 10 years and there's not a blasted damn thing anyone can do about it.

People pointing it up over and over and over again just amplifies the situation and makes matters all the more worse because constantly pointing this out only reinforces the bias.
Get it through your skull. Blacks in the US are members of a protected class. Whites are NOT memebers of a protected class. That's why the difference in treatment in the MSM.

The answer is really simple!
Boycott the MSM; quit watching them; quit reading them; quit clicking on their sites; quit subscriptions to their propaganda outlets. Starve them to death financially. Stop feeding the agenda!

It really is that easy!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Beautifully spoken! So, very, very true.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Why do you expect any better from MSM.

The right wing seem to be onto something lately...

Everyone is offended by something nowadays.
It's getting boring.

You know, as a leftist, this is one area i am starting to see the right wing viewpoint on. I'm getting sick to death regarding the race double standards. And I say that as a guy who has been pretty deep into social justice movements.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

It's not politically correct to call out a black person committing a crime. That would be considered racist because their the minority. The MSM also doesn't want to be called racist by the black community, it's bad for ratings.

There's definitely a double standard. To ignore that fact is being racist. Black people shouldn't be offended when the color of their skin helps identify the individual or helps explain the underlying reason for the crime. Also Whites, Asians, Middle Eastern, Hispanics and Indian, shouldn't be offended. Like it or not, it simply identifies your race.

If there was a report of a serial killer loose in the city, I certainly would want to know as much detail about the person, including race, height, and what their wearing just to be alert of anyone who matches that description for my protection and my family. There's nothing wrong with that.

I also think the public has the right to know if a crime, or in this case a threat, was racially motivated.

Also, I argue that REAL social justice and anti-racism means a zero tolerance policy for any racism, including a black person threatening to target white people.

Zero tolerance policy.

Naming who is involved, and the races, because it is a racial incident, isn't "racist," it's pertinent information.

It's just like if someone says that a person targeting gay people just because they are gay, is in fact straight, to show it is a hate crime.

The problem is this, the emergent social justice narrative does not allow for Black people to be racist. Hence, counter facts to that narrative simply won't be explicitly stated.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

There's even more examples to the contrary. HuffPost - When The Media Treats White Suspects And Killers Better Than Black Victims

Here's some of the headlines for white murderers:

Ala. suspect brilliant, but social misfit
Son in Staten Island murders was brilliant, athletic -- but his demons were the death of parents
Santa Barbara shooting: Suspect was ‘soft-spoken, polite, a gentleman’, ex-principal says
Ohio shooting suspect, T.J.Lane, described as 'fine person'

and some black victims:

Montgomery's latest homicide victim had history of narcotics abuse, tangles with the law
Police: slain Lakeland Teen Had Been Shot Before; Death Possibly Drug-related
Ohio man was carrying variable pump air rifle — not a toy — when cops killed him: attorney general
Deputy killed Marine out of fear for children's safety

You might find this interesting as the majority of sociologists would probably disagree with you:

Racial Bias and Media Coverage of Violent Crime Lisa Wade, PhD April 9, 2015:

Studies of Americans’ unconscious beliefs shows that most people — white and black — think black people are dangerous and both average folks and police are quicker to shoot black than white people.

Where does the cognitive belief that black people are dangerous come from?

Partly, it comes from the media. A new study by Color of Change found that, while 51% of the people arrested for violent crime in New York City are black, 75% of the news reports about such arrests highlighted black alleged perpetrators.

Here's the Color of Change "Report Card" (PDF)

In summation, I disagree and I think a lot of conservatives are basically just butt hurt over the coverage of the deaths of black people at the hands of law enforcement.

Without a doubt Black people suffer more from racial bias in America.

BUT, too many social justice people ignore ANY kind of racism from minorities or whitewashing of let's say an incident when a minority IS being racist.

The two are not mutually exclusive. One can simultaneously believe that minorities have suffered from historical, personal, and institutional racism, while ALSO recognizing that minorities can also engage in racist acts themselves, acts that are also negative.

The first is more weightful due to history and institutional power, but it doesn't mean minority racism is okay or not impactful in some circumstances.

As to media, similar to social justice, many people seem to swing to the other end of the pendulum. Due to trying too hard in the other direction they can't discuss issues such as these.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but I'm under the understanding these cases are being settled by the rule of the law, and not some media or twitter kangaroo-court. I suppose we could decide ourselves which institution, the courts or the media, are more likely to adhere to a proper standard in order to determine judgement, and trust accordingly, but like you I'm a little wary of either.

So are any of those headlines untrue? That's what we should find out and go from there. We don't need to assume some sort of untenable institutional racism—which in more precise terms means white people—is stirring a witches brew of disinfo. There is no need to guess at some liberal elites inundating us with propaganda. In the end, the reasoning behind the mass media is always economical. Of course they are bias, they pander to the one who matters, the consumer, because these are the people eating it up. This is the News Corp and the Cable News Network. Not until you stop buying it does it go away.

Fascinatingly enough it is drawing the racists and bigots out of their caves, and they're from all over the political spectrum, with nothing but unmitigated prejudice on their lips.

Thank you folks. It is here I depart from the identity politics of ATS, and to return to where I belong. It's become a parody at this point.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There is definitely a bias in the MSM but its much more than just them.

"White folks are whats wrong with America." ~Michelle Obama actually said that.

Now, imagine George Bush saying, "Black people are whats wrong with America."

Still think theres no bias?
edit on 30-11-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

You might find this interesting as the majority of sociologists would probably disagree with you:

Racial Bias and Media Coverage of Violent Crime Lisa Wade, PhD April 9, 2015:

Studies of Americans’ unconscious beliefs shows that most people — white and black — think black people are dangerous and both average folks and police are quicker to shoot black than white people.

Where does the cognitive belief that black people are dangerous come from?

Partly, it comes from the media. A new study by Color of Change found that, while 51% of the people arrested for violent crime in New York City are black, 75% of the news reports about such arrests highlighted black alleged perpetrators.

Here's the Color of Change "Report Card" (PDF)

In summation, I disagree and I think a lot of conservatives are basically just butt hurt over the coverage of the deaths of black people at the hands of law enforcement.

For the first bit, about 'sociologists disagreeing with me', it's funny because that very point is self defeating. White and Black people fear Black people more, this is true, but if you look at those numbers, they give the real reason. Black people make up only a quarter of NYC's population, but are responsible for 51% (more than twice their population?) of all violent crimes? That is simply sociologists being politically correct and trying to justify their job. White and Black people are more skiddish around Black people simply because, by sociologists own statistics, you are at least more than twice as likely to get punched in the face by that random black person than the random white person right next to him. That's a topic for another day (how "officials" and SJW's make statistics do acrobats to suit their agenda). Maybe that will be my next topic.

Secondly, in regards to description of Whites vs. Descriptions of Blacks:

White murderers

- Crack addict murdered his father and SEVEN other family members in mobile home after a fight over drugs
-A 'spolit and volatile' jeweller's son who strangled his aspiring model girlfriend in a jealous rage has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
-Oregon judge sets $5M bail for meth-head mom whose addiction allegedly killed newborn daughter

and some Black victims:

-the shooting death of 12-year-old honor roll student Kade'jah Davis
-Shooting victim's family to carry on message of non-violence
-Walker told Channel 2's Tyisha Fernandes this death is hard to accept, because Howard had just created t-shirts that say "Stop the killing." -"It's really something that's close to us, because of the peace that we live by and he just was fed up with (the violence)," Walker said.
-Kendal Fenwick, latest Baltimore murder victim, known as model citizen

I can do this all day. Just because HuffPost (a known, extremely leftwing media source) says it, doesn't make it gospel and all truthful. Huff Post found those specific headlines for click bait and attempt to use their size as proof in and of itself. If I was so inclined and had the time, I could find exact opposites for every one that HuffPost claims is proof that the MSM is slanted against African Americans. It took me 5 minutes to find what I just put right there.

In summation, I think you are just trying to defend your ignorant point of view while simultaneously attempting to take some sort of moral high ground.

Frankly, you're one of the most race obsessed people on ATS and anyone who doubts it can click on your name and see for themselves.

And from just clicking on your profile, you seem to be one of the most anti-christian / muslim apologist obsessed people on ATS and anyone who doubts that can look at and click on your "Radical Christianity" Thread over in Political madness and subsequent 10 posts arguing that Christian Terrorists, as a whole, are just as dangerous as Muslim Terrorists, as whole (I'll save that for that post though)

They could also look at your 15 posts about how PP shooter was a Christian Terrorist

Hello Pot, I'm Kettle

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Here's an idea for you and it was inspired by your post.
Maybe the core of the problem of race relations in the US is that the "white" population has largely and unconsciously moved on to a post-racial mind set largely because they've progressed to the point of view that race simply isn't important as a "marker" for any particular purpose. That progression is assisted and augmented by the fact that US American "whites", for the most part, don't identify "white" or "whiteness" as a race. US American whites don't really think about themselves in racial terms. I hadn't thought of that until a sociologist comentator on MSNBC pointed it out and complained that there can't be any real progress, (as he defined it) until the white population began to think of itself in racial terms.

The problem this presents for the "Social Justice" movement is that.......without racist whites, it has no purpose!

So, in the face of "post-racial" whites, the social justice types have to dig much deeper to maintain the identity of the inherent racism in the white population by the creation of new paradigms built up around the concept of "white privilege". So, for example, we see the BLM crowd waving signs that say "White Silence = White Consent" to attempt to imply that the constant "withdrawal of the white population from the conflict is, in itself, a self-indictment by the white population of white racism.

I don't know, its just a thought, but it may go some way to explaining the general acceptance on the part of a substantial portion of the white population that the MSM is biased against the white population. They interpret MSM coverage of issues of race for what they are......a constant attempt to draw them into the conflict, or better stated, to "paint" them into a conflict or problem they have largely absented themselves from.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I've looked over the articles and I've still not seen any sign if they're going to charge him as if this was to be a hate crime? They clearly list intent and quote him, looks like it's be an easy fit for a hate crime charges.

Hate Crime
In both crime and law, a hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime) is a usually violent, prejudice motivated crime that occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group.

Is he going to be charged as such and the media not just going to say or is he not going to be charged at all as one?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Your point would be valid if she had actually said that.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Why do you expect any better from MSM.

The right wing seem to be onto something lately...

Everyone is offended by something nowadays.
It's getting boring.

Obviously the narrative is working splendidly. Division is the key. Left vs. Right.

Even those who claim to be above all that seem to fall for it when they let their guard down.

But what do I care, I am a REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!

now where is my damn popcorn.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Your point would be valid if she had actually said that.

Forgive me for not quoting her word for word.

Her quoted statement in a commencement speech at Tuskeegee University, Tuskeegee, Alabama May 9, 2015 was:

(addressing the black students)
“whatever is wrong with your life is America and the white man’s fault, and whitey owes you.”

Thank you for pointing out my error. Her actual statement is more insulting than my original quote and makes my point even better.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Thank you for pointing out my error. Her actual statement is more insulting than my original quote and makes my point even better.

That is completely false and she never said that.

Snopes

A false rumor claiming First Lady Michelle Obama had stated that "white folks are what's wrong with America" during a speech at Tuskagee University started recirculating online in November 2015 after the web site Jews News repurposed an article from May of the same year.

While both articles contain misleading information, the November 2015 article also included the sensational title "Michelle Obama says 'white folks' are what's wrong with America." This title, however, was not taken from a statement made by Michelle Obama; it was simply Jews News' far-fetched interpretation of something she once said. Similarly, the web site made it appear as if Michelle Obama had uttered another inflammatory statement during her commencement speech at Tuskegee University:

Be careful that you do not spread propaganda and lies.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

That is completely false and she never said that.

Snopes

A false rumor claiming First Lady Michelle Obama had stated that "white folks are what's wrong with America" during a speech at Tuskagee University started recirculating online in November 2015 after the web site Jews News repurposed an article from May of the same year.

While both articles contain misleading information, the November 2015 article also included the sensational title "Michelle Obama says 'white folks' are what's wrong with America." This title, however, was not taken from a statement made by Michelle Obama; it was simply Jews News' far-fetched interpretation of something she once said. Similarly, the web site made it appear as if Michelle Obama had uttered another inflammatory statement during her commencement speech at Tuskegee University:

Be careful that you do not spread propaganda and lies.

I corrected the original quote, which I made from memory, and captured the gist of her sentiment. I found and posted the actual quote and admitted that the original quote was incorrect. I was not spreading lies or propaganda. Her statement, while not quoted word for word, was in essence the same. Her actual statement was more inflammatory than what I had originally attributed to her.

I know you cant resist an opportunity to confront me on anything so this is no surprise, even after I admitted the error and corrected it.

Keep up the stalking and sniping. Its what you are good at.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

This is what you posted the second time:

Her quoted statement in a commencement speech at Tuskeegee University, Tuskeegee, Alabama May 9, 2015 was:

“whatever is wrong with your life is America and the white man’s fault, and whitey owes you.”

She never made that statement and it has been proven to be completely false. Check out the link I provided. The info is there.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

This is what you posted the second time:

She never made that statement and it has been proven to be completely false. Check out the link I provided. The info is there.

I am fully aware of what I posted.

You found a link that says its not true. I found several that said it was. You chose to believe the one that suits you. I did the same. You cant prove your version is true. You point to a website that is just as fallible as any other. Or worse yet, you point to the whitehouse as a reputable source. The obama's would never resort to altering the record to remove any racially inflammatory statements she may have made.

You have your sources, I have mine. You choose to believe what you want. As do I. Your sources are no better or worse than mine. I just have more.

Now, if you dont mind, the topic of the thread is bias in the media, which is being clearly demonstrated, not the validity of my sources.
edit on 1-12-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I found several that said it was. You chose to believe the one that suits you. I did the same.

I haven't seen any sources that you have posted. Please share.

You cant prove your version is true.

Yes I can. Not only is it proven that the quote you provided was from the inaccurate Jew News piece, you can watch the entire speech on youtube.

You choose to believe what you want. As do I. Your sources are no better or worse than mine. I just have more.

You have provided no sources, so far. I wait to read your infallible sources so that I may apologize for my ignorance.

Now, if you dont mind, the topic of the thread is bias in the media

Then why did you bring Michelle Obama in to this discussion to begin with?

How odd.
edit on 1-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join