It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Blatant double standard when it comes to race and the mainstream media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Me and several other forum members point it out all the time: The double standard present in Mainstream media when it comes to reporting on race and crime in America (Europe as well when it comes to Muslims, but that's not what this is about).

Compare

This headline, with a giant mugshot of a White criminal who threatened to kill Black people during the Mizzo protests earlier this month, and explicit mention that he threatened Black people

to

This headline, with no mention that a Black criminal has threatened the lives of white people on the University of Chicago campus, they don't mention his race at all (compared to the Mizzo case where the perps race was the FIRST THING they typed.

Note the significant difference in how each is presented and the corresponding suspect and potential victims in each story.

Note also the tone of each article when it comes to reporting the crime. black man that threatened white people at the university, there is literally one sentence that states that someone (who's race they decline to elaborate on) threatened to murder 16 white students and as many cops as he could before he was killed. The biggest meat of the article is about the McDonald case where a Chicago cop is charged with first degree murder, no further mention of the potential white victims or the perpetrator is given, not even a mug shot (but they have his name, age, and the fact that he lives off campus)

Again, compare to the Mizzo case where the suspects are given several PARAGRAPHS of coverage, that give several accounts of students (the potential victims) that 'felt unsafe' so they didn't go to school. Why is their no accounts of White students on the Chicago campus that may have felt unsafe?

This is the exact type of double standard that is present in the mainstream media when it comes to race and crime in this country, and I think it should be addressed. The media purposefully up-plays the race of any white criminals who may have had the smallest inkling of racism (even if there is no direct proof), while simultaneously down-playing the race of and black criminals who are OVERTLY racist in the commission of their crime. It's ridiculous and I will call it out every time I see it.

What do my fellow ATS'ers have to say about this?

Keep it civil

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Why do you expect any better from MSM.

The right wing seem to be onto something lately...

Everyone is offended by something nowadays.
It's getting boring.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Well, yeah.

Think of it this way... Positive spin on all left wing (Huff Po) causes always. Positive spin on war if the establishment wings of both parties want it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think that the MSM has proven they aren't capable of being fair and balanced anymore. I would take everything they report on as biased.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

It's not politically correct to call out a black person committing a crime. That would be considered racist because their the minority. The MSM also doesn't want to be called racist by the black community, it's bad for ratings.

There's definitely a double standard. To ignore that fact is being racist. Black people shouldn't be offended when the color of their skin helps identify the individual or helps explain the underlying reason for the crime. Also Whites, Asians, Middle Eastern, Hispanics and Indian, shouldn't be offended. Like it or not, it simply identifies your race.

If there was a report of a serial killer loose in the city, I certainly would want to know as much detail about the person, including race, height, and what their wearing just to be alert of anyone who matches that description for my protection and my family. There's nothing wrong with that.

I also think the public has the right to know if a crime, or in this case a threat, was racially motivated.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
so dont listen to the news. just live your life without the brainwashing station in from of your eyes. when is comes to race, there are bad people in all races, so thinking X race is worse is meaningless. it is your culture that makes you into what you are to some extent, but no one has a say to where they are born. being an asshole does not start at the skin it starts at the brain.
edit on 30-11-2015 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It doesn't work just one way. NYT described Michael Brown as "no angel" but described Robert Lewis Dear as a "gentle loner".

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

There's even more examples to the contrary. HuffPost - When The Media Treats White Suspects And Killers Better Than Black Victims

Here's some of the headlines for white murderers:

Ala. suspect brilliant, but social misfit
Son in Staten Island murders was brilliant, athletic -- but his demons were the death of parents
Santa Barbara shooting: Suspect was ‘soft-spoken, polite, a gentleman’, ex-principal says
Ohio shooting suspect, T.J.Lane, described as 'fine person'

and some black victims:

Montgomery's latest homicide victim had history of narcotics abuse, tangles with the law
Police: slain Lakeland Teen Had Been Shot Before; Death Possibly Drug-related
Ohio man was carrying variable pump air rifle — not a toy — when cops killed him: attorney general
Deputy killed Marine out of fear for children's safety

You might find this interesting as the majority of sociologists would probably disagree with you:

Racial Bias and Media Coverage of Violent Crime Lisa Wade, PhD April 9, 2015:

Studies of Americans’ unconscious beliefs shows that most people — white and black — think black people are dangerous and both average folks and police are quicker to shoot black than white people.

Where does the cognitive belief that black people are dangerous come from?

Partly, it comes from the media. A new study by Color of Change found that, while 51% of the people arrested for violent crime in New York City are black, 75% of the news reports about such arrests highlighted black alleged perpetrators.

Here's the Color of Change "Report Card" (PDF)

In summation, I disagree and I think a lot of conservatives are basically just butt hurt over the coverage of the deaths of black people at the hands of law enforcement.
edit on 2015-11-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Until that word "racist" loses it's ability to intimidate white people, the silliness will persist. In Clveland Texas, in 2011, 25 black guys raped an 11 year old hispanic girl, and video taped it. The black community in that town supported the rapists. How many of you ever heard that story?

Why not?

Because, in America, blacks are victims. Always. Even when they're not.
edit on 30-11-2015 by hammanderr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
No wonder why a news reports says sixty percent of Americans dont trust the mainstream media. The rest of of the percentage,not knowing better or willingly ignorant support the media crooks who support the divisive agendas.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It doesn't work just one way. NYT described Michael Brown as "no angel" but described Robert Lewis Dear as a "gentle loner".

How is that any different than MSNBC calling Michael Brown a 'gentle giant' and Robert Dear as 'glaringly eccentric and anti-social'?

I have no problem at all with the media reporting race when they are reporting on crimes, but they need to do it evenly across the board. Black person commits a hate crime? Say it ; White person commits a hate crime? Say it, but don't post a giant mug shot of a White criminal who has threatened to kill Black people, then tip toe around the issue when a Black person LITERALLY DOES THE SAME EXACT THING, and then call it a 'gun threat'.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

One instance or even a handful doesn't really prove anything either way. You've got a pretty obvious bias that has everything to do with your politics.

Frankly, you're one of the most race obsessed people on ATS and anyone who doubts it can click on your name and see for themselves.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Kali74

A gentle loner with a knife. Although it still doesn't excuse the police officer to shoot this kid 16 times.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Both examples in the OP are written by different people and represents their style of writing.

Hardly evidence worthy of condemning the entire MSM.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: hammanderr
Until that word "racist" loses it's ability to intimidate white people, the silliness will persist. In Clveland Texas, in 2011, 25 black guys raped an 11 year old hispanic girl, and video taped it. The black community in that town supported the rapists. How many of you ever heard that story?

Why not?

Because, in America, blacks are victims. Always. Even when they're not.

Here's a quick test for you. Google "cleveland texas 2011 rape" and look at the results:

NY Times - 3-Month Nightmare Emerges in Rape Inquiry
Slate - Defense Attorney Blames 11-Year-Old Rape Victim Because That's His Job
Daily Beast - The Texas Gang Rape Dividing a Town
CNN - Alleged gang rape of girl, 11, ignites firestorm in Texas community
CBS - 11-year-old girl, alleged victim of Texas gang rape, blamed for attack at town hall meeting

Here's three stories about the rape that are critical of the NYT for their coverage because of things like mentioning how the victim dressed:

Salon - The New York Times’ sloppy, slanted child rape story
Mother Jones - The New York Times' Rape-Friendly Reporting
Huffington Post - New York Times Texas Rape Story Draws Fire

Oh by the way, the above proves you're statement horribly wrong.

EDIT:

For those who were wondering:

Houston Chronicle - 21st assailant sentenced in Cleveland gang rape

Only two adult males requested trials, and juries handed both life or 99-year prison sentences. Eleven other adult males received 15-year sentences in exchange for pleading guilty to sexual assault of a child, while the seven juveniles entered guilty pleas for seven-year probated sentences.

edit on 2015-11-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

It's not about political correctness as it would seem at first glance.
The media is purposely trying to influence you on an emotional level.
Awareness is key to survival in this information war.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Division is the goal.... Easier targets that way... The second article justifies his threat in the headline... They didn't even wait for the story.... We're screwed!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Dear is the guy who killed 3 people and injured 11 at the Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. I haven't caught any description of Laquan McDonald, the guy the cops shot 16 times. Just for sake of clarity.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

My point is there's harshness and glossing all over the place. Equal opportunity offenders.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You're right about the bias, but you'll surely be told that you aren't, and that it's white privilege that makes you unable to see how this is fair, and how you should feel guilty about everything.

For the past few years, it's almost a sure thing that, if you aren't shown a mugshot or given the race of a criminal, that criminal isn't white.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join