It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who on ATS has a talent, what is it & where does talent come from?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I can't say whether or not I have talent but I do know what it is to express through a learned means.

A baby, before learning to talk sucks badly at public speaking. To be good at public speaking you have to be passionate about what you are speaking or you just really need people to believe you. Or you could just recite other's works when lacking your own ideas. But first you have to speak a language.

I guess a guitar could be the same thing. You learn your chords, string technique etc and if you've got nothing to say, well you can repeat what others already have. If nobody taught you and you don't play others stuff yet you've got lots to say. BOOM an Eddie Van Halen is sometimes born. The language is built in to chord structure and harmonics.

If you have a weight in your chest like you need to get something out, you should learn an art. Just because you cannot draw it doesn't mean you are not already the greatest painter/artist who has ever lived. Just weeks ago a blue panel sold for millions.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't know if this would be considered a talent, but I have very nimble fingers. Vulcan sign, Bungles wave, whatever I see someone else do with their fingers, I can duplicate. 30 years ago, I was pretty skilled with a deck of cards. Fake shuffles, dealing bottoms or seconds, palming, just show me and I could do it. Only used it for card tricks, though, never cheating. I'm pretty sure if I practiced for a couple of weeks it would all come back to me.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

I'm a writer, a musician, and I have really effing good people skills.

"You know, I realized something yesterday. I can rip all the pages out of the book, but as long as I'm living on the cover. I'll never forget the words."

-Aesh

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Heh, no offense but "really effing good people skills" reminds me of this;

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I've been a musician for nearly 3 decades, mostly just playing at my house. I just wanted to chime in on this.

When you hear people speaking of talent, especially when you hear people state matter of factly that musicians and artists are talented, it is nearly always coming from someone who is not a musician or artist or whatever. It's a cop out. I don't believe in talent. Go look up interviews with any of your favorite musicians. Nearly all of them will talk about hard work, not talent.

It's dismissive. It's a way for someone to disregard all of the relentless dedication that it takes. "Oh, well, it's easy for him. He's talented". No. You're just lazy. Or not driven enough.

That being said, some people are more inclined to certain things, but that's just down to how their brain is wired. Let's say Jim is better with numbers than Jan. That doesn't mean Jan can't learn math. In fact, if she works hard, she can learn more about math than Jim. And just because Jim is good with numbers, doesn't mean he doesn't have to study.

Also, sometimes a physical advantage may exist. For instance, a pianist who has large hands/long fingers may be better equipped than one with short stubbies.

But mostly, talent is a word tossed around by people who never took the time to put in the work.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I know, I was just being what I'm always called: A grammar Nazi. It was just for S&G.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
I just want to know how to discover how to discover what you are good at. People say, "what do you enjoy doing?" Well, I am still looking for the answer to that question. I feel like I am just passing time in life, waiting for the answer.

I would say that, often times, it's just dumb luck that lets you find what you are good at AND enjoy doing. If you have found yourself in a repetitive rut in life, shock your system--find a new job; go some place that you've never been (even in your own city) and just meet people you've never met before; seek out a teacher of something at which you feel unskilled and and learn the fundamentals. Drawing is a perfect example--you probably can't draw a straight line because I'd bet that you're trying to draw the straight line in one try, in one stroke of the pencil. Everything--all drawings and paintings--are all created from short lines that, in the end, combine to make a piece of art. Learning how to sketch is a more powerful tool than knowing how to draw a straight line.

Sometimes it's all about perspective and knowing the basics in a formal way. With drawing, once you learn the basics and learn how to see for drawing's sake (you draw what you see, not what your brain thinks it should be), then you can draw anything, and with enough practice you can be good at it. But just remember, "good" is a relative term, because you can't compare a Da Vinci drawing to a Picasso drawing and say that one is good and one is not. Creating realistic, representational artwork is not the only way to create good art.

Just keep that in mind when pursuing things in life...there's more than one way to be good at the same thing as someone else, even if the end result is completely different.
edit on 1-12-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

I am considered "talented" yet I can relate to your frustration from two angles. I can play music. Sing, guitar, piano, etc. It has always come natural to me. Now my spouse also can but, on top of that, is a gifted illustrator.

So when I see somebody struggling with music, I get frustrated because it seems as simple as riding a bike to me. But I cannot draw a hand. I cannot draw a face. I can draw practically nothing and it has always embarrassed me when I am asked to sketch something as it looks like a two-year old did it. People see me try and they act astounded that I cannot draw simple objects like a car or an animal. So it is almost like my "anti" talent to make up for my music.

I cannot explain my ability to play music any better than I can explain my complete and utter inability to draw a circle.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join