It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask me anything about Creationism!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

you dont need to know everything to disprove a claim. all you need is to show the lack of evidence of a theory. i would take the work of experts that have been in their field for most of their lives. rather than a theory with holes in it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
When the gods Tepeu and Gucumatz were creating the universe around us through the act of contemplation, they used clay to create Humans once they felt that something in their creation should be praising them (and of course, the mountains, animals, and oceans could not). When they found that clay was a poor substance to create humans with, they instead used wood, but then found that it caused problems for earth. To start over again they flooded their creation and wiped them out.

What distinguishes can we make that show that tepue and Gucumatz were responsible for a great flood, rather than Yahweh?

Good question. God also saw that clay didn't work so well, so He made man from woman. Furthermore, we have just one God - the Mayans had several. Similarity in narrative only goes to strengthen it, not weaken it. We get different versions, but we get that: God created everything, God took two tries to creates humans, and there was a flood. Unless, of course, the ancient Mayan and Hebrew civilizations were corresponding with each other, this seems to point to divine inspiration - even if it was interpreted somewhat differently.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

How about that neanderthal? Had a bigger brain but
he just wasn't as smart as us. Where's the evidence
that tells us one was smarter than the other.

Randy the size of one's brain is not an indication of one's intelligence. Vast studies have proven that dating pretty far back.

An elephant's brain weighs about 5 KG a humans weighs about 1.5 KG

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I'm not a creationist, however some would agree and some would disagree.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

It simply means that there was no force external from God which created Him. God is eternal - being created implies being finite.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

You'd do better if you didn't apply science to God.

I have my own thoughts, but I will not use them for this thread. The creationist reply would simply be "God works in mysterious ways." If that isn't acceptable, then it is what it is.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

originally posted by: scorpio84
I saw that there is a thread (several, in fact) for people who want to know more about evolution. Well, though science fascinates me, my training is as a theologian. I thought it'd be nice to have a thread answering questions people have about Creationism. Fire away and I'll do my best to explain everything to you.

And how does "your creationism" tie into spontanious creation as was taught just a few years ago?
Is there a corrolation between the two?

Couldn't tell you, since I don't have a creationism. I'm agnostic.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

An elephant's brain weighs about 5 KG a humans weighs about 1.5 KG

I'm not even sure were smarter than elephants.
I know if I were an elephant, i'd think we were a bunch
of dumbasses. In fact I do anyway!

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: scorpio84

How is Creationism true?

The Bible is the living word of God and as such is to be believed. Praise Jesus.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Is there any other creationism theories that don't revolve around the earth and the human race? Has any religion put forward a non human construct type creationist theory? Or is it all god made man, not created stars billions of years before man?

Check into intelligent design. Old Earth also doesn't think the Earth is 10,000 years old. Most people hear "creationism" and probably think of young earth.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoshiachIusDei

a reply to: darkbake

Yes. Creation need not be in conflict with evolution. Evolution tells us how we got from point A to point B. Creationism tells us how we got to point A.

You are using only the linear literal interpretation to say that. To understand Genesis 1 fully you need to comprehend at least the dual aspect of God in a single plane. Here's something I threw together for someone else:

End of Days is the end of the seventh day in Gen 1 which has yet complete. Evolution is part of the creation process and is managed by God, the Ancient of Days. You wouldn't be ancient after seven literal days. This evolutionary creation stops at the End of Days.

Time isn't linear. It's spiraled. It has angle and distance. This is the face of the waters, a double whirlpool which looks like eyes. The first words are 'God created the heavens and the Earth', hence the double spiral.

The linear text is there to set a challenge. God wants His creation to challenge and reconcile the text as he develops. Few rise to the challenge, but hopefully that will change.

I'm trying to make things simple for the masses.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: vjr1113

you dont need to know everything to disprove a claim. all you need is to show the lack of evidence of a theory. i would take the work of experts that have been in their field for most of their lives. rather than a theory with holes in it.

If man weren't meant to think beyond logic and evidence.
He would not have been given a mind, an imagination or
dreams.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Yes - this does not mean that all creationists believe in "intelligent design" per se - but in the broad sense, the universe is intelligently designed - by God

If you believe that the universe is created by an entity, you believe the universe is intelligent designed.

Yes.

Why is your God Immortal and infallible? Wouldn't it make more sense that the creator was mortal and fallible? If he created the universe this entity's perception of time is going to be different from our own, would it not? For all we know this creator could be in a universe out side of our known universe with different laws of physics, no?

No relation at all. Other cultures may have had an idea of God's workings, but their mythologies did not get everything right - for example, worshipping several deities when everything is done by one God.

Well you say that but I saw your answer to my fifth question and that seems to contradict with what you stated here.
So my question is why creationism from the christian perspective? why do Christians have it right and not the Aztecs or the Maya?

Yes - not only that, He does so frequently.

So could the Quetzalcoatl(feathered serpent) so could Enlil and Enki of Sumeria, what makes Jehovah any different?
edit on 30-11-2015 by NateTheAnimator because: Grammatical

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

No. God wants His children to know Him. "Becoming like" is the best way to know. The best way to become like God is to follow in the ways of Jesus Christ.

Jesus was a young Jewish man preaching his own interpretation of Judaism, but this doesn't really answer my question. If your taking creationism from a biblical perspective, your assuming that God probably doesn't want us to have his god-like powers right? and why is that?

Your own universe would not be the same as the one created by God.

Again why is that?
edit on 30-11-2015 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

You wrote QUOTE "I saw that there is a thread (several, in fact) for people who want to know more about evolution. Well, though science fascinates me, my training is as a theologian. I thought it'd be nice to have a thread answering questions people have about Creationism. Fire away and I'll do my best to explain everything to you..."

I have a few questions about Creationism.

l. Why is it that when one speaks about Creationism in the US, the discussion automatically defaults to the 2 Creation Myths of the Jews? (see Gen 1:1 to 2:4a and 2:4b to 4:26) Why not discuss the Amerindian creation myths, or the Mayan Popul Vuh, or the Egyptian Creation Myths e.g. of the masturbating god Atum, or the Hindu creation myths? Or other cultural myths of creation...

2. As a reasonably educated person who might know a little about photosynthesis, do you REALLY believe that the earth and VEGETATION was created PRIOR to the Sun, Stars and Moon? See the order of creation in the Jewish Creation Myth #1 in Gen 1:1 to 2:4a

3. How do you reconcile the 2 conflicting Jewish Creation Myths (Gen 1:1 to 2:4a and Gen 2:4b to 4:26) ? Comparing the two myths, the order of creation is different, and in the first myth (P) male and female are created together 'and he called thir name ADAM' as well as other differences between the P myth and the JE Myth (beginning Gen 2:4bff)

4. Do you REALLY believe in talking snakes?

Just a couple off the top of my head....

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
When the gods Tepeu and Gucumatz were creating the universe around us through the act of contemplation, they used clay to create Humans once they felt that something in their creation should be praising them (and of course, the mountains, animals, and oceans could not). When they found that clay was a poor substance to create humans with, they instead used wood, but then found that it caused problems for earth. To start over again they flooded their creation and wiped them out.

What distinguishes can we make that show that tepue and Gucumatz were responsible for a great flood, rather than Yahweh?

Good question. God also saw that clay didn't work so well, so He made man from woman. Furthermore, we have just one God - the Mayans had several. Similarity in narrative only goes to strengthen it, not weaken it. We get different versions, but we get that: God created everything, God took two tries to creates humans, and there was a flood. Unless, of course, the ancient Mayan and Hebrew civilizations were corresponding with each other, this seems to point to divine inspiration - even if it was interpreted somewhat differently.

Except not all religions claim there was a great flood, so how can we tell which one is telling the true story?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: spy66

This thread is called "Ask me anything about Creationism", so I did. Am I not allowed to ask questions I may already know the answer to?

You dont know the answer. Because you don't believe God said: Let there be light.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

First, I can tell you that I can only give you a creationist perspective. Even that is difficult, though, since there are variations among creationism - some proponents try to respect science, while others treat science as a trick of the devil. However, I'll try to give you the creationist answer to your questions.

If you believe that the universe is created by an entity, you believe the universe is intelligent designed.

Yes, of course. But "intelligent design" as a category is used to separate creationists who accept all the scientific discoveries we have from those who do not. It's not to say young earth creationists believe God had no idea what He was doing.

Why is your God Immortal and infallible?

He wouldn't be God otherwise.

Wouldn't it make more sense that the creator was mortal and fallible?

No. Creationism does not take the position that God makes mistakes. However, if one were to argue that everything were design by God and there are imperfections in that design - then, yes - a mortal (or at least fallible) creator would be a better explanation.

If he created the universe this entity's perception of time is going to be different from our own, would it not?

I couldn't begin to speculate on God's perception of time.

For all we know this creator could be in a universe out side of our known universe with different laws of physics, no?

God transcends time, space, and the laws of physics do not apply to Him.

Well you say that but I saw your answer to my fifth question and that seems to contradict with what you stated here.

Creationism contradicting itself? Fie! Anyhow, could you give me the contradictory statements (with context) and I'll see if there's some sort of creationist logic that makes them compatible?

So my question is why creationism from the christian perspective? why do Christians have it right and not the Aztecs or the Maya?

Because the Bible is the living word of God. God revealed Himself through His Son, Jesus Christ. The Mayans and others may have had part of the message, but it is the Bible which contains the full message.

So could the Quetzalcoatl(feathered serpent) so could Enlil and Enki of Sumeria, what makes Jehovah any different?

Yahweh exists. That is the difference.

If your taking creationism from a biblical perspective, your assuming that God probably doesn't want us to have his god-like powers right? and why is that?

We could never have god-like powers - so it really is not a concern. However, if you are thinking about the story of Adam and Eve and the punishment from eating from the Tree of Knowledge ...the punishment was not for trying to be like God, it was for disobeying God. Also, the story of Babel illustrates that God is not pleased with hubris.

Again why is that?

You are not God.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Except not all religions claim there was a great flood, so how can we tell which one is telling the true story?

Creationist answer: because God told us so.

Sorry, Ghost - you aren't going to get a convincing answer from the side of creationism. If any Creationists can do better, I'd like to see it. Of course, I could give you another common Creationist answer/reason:

Prove that it isn't the correct one.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

Why is it that when one speaks about Creationism in the US, the discussion automatically defaults to the 2 Creation Myths of the Jews? (see Gen 1:1 to 2:4a and 2:4b to 4:26) Why not discuss the Amerindian creation myths, or the Mayan Popul Vuh, or the Egyptian Creation Myths e.g. of the masturbating god Atum, or the Hindu creation myths? Or other cultural myths of creation...

Probably because the majority of Americans are Christian, so Christianity is the default religion people think of. I lived in Thailand for a good amount of time and you wouldn't have to say you are referring to Buddhism for that to be understood.

As a reasonably educated person who might know a little about photosynthesis, do you REALLY believe that the earth and VEGETATION was created PRIOR to the Sun, Stars and Moon? See the order of creation in the Jewish Creation Myth #1 in Gen 1:1 to 2:4a

If that's what the Bible says, then yes - creationists (at least literalists) would believe that.

3. How do you reconcile the 2 conflicting Jewish Creation Myths (Gen 1:1 to 2:4a and Gen 2:4b to 4:26) ? Comparing the two myths, the order of creation is different, and in the first myth (P) male and female are created together 'and he called thir name ADAM' as well as other differences between the P myth and the JE Myth (beginning Gen 2:4bff)

There's no contradiction. Think of Genesis 1 as a summary of the days of creation - and Genesis 2 as a closer look at the sixth day of creation. A good explanation can be found here

Do you REALLY believe in talking snakes?

There was only one snake that talked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join