It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Deploys TOW Resistant T-90 Tank in Aleppo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It looks like things are really heating up in Syria.

The Iranian news source FARS reports Syria has deployed new Russian tanks in the battle for Aleppo.
The Syrian Army’s 4th Mechanized Division has deployed their newly-arrived T-90 advanced Ttanks to the Southern Aleppo front for the first time in order to continue their push to the towns of Kafraya and Al-Fou’aa, military sources said Sunday.
The T-90s reportedly use Kontakt-5 explosive reactive armor to defeat American made TOW anti-tank missiles.
It was reported last week jihadists in Syria are using TOW missiles sold to Saudi Arabia by the United States and sent to the battlefield by Turkey.
“Through the course of the battles it became apparent that the terrorists have a bigger quantity of American anti-armor TOW weapons. They started using this weapon intensively,” said a Syrian source quoted by Reuters.
“This weapon, TOW, of course affects the work of the armored divisions. Certainly, it is a well-known American weapon whose impact is known: it is effective against armored vehicles,” the source said.
“They use it heavily which indicates this weapon has become available to them.”
After Turkey shot down a Russian plane last week, jihadists used a TOW on a Russian rescue helicopter.
Russia has developed an active protection system used on its new generation of battle tank, the T-14. It uses a millimeter-wavelength radar to detect, track and intercept incoming anti-tank munitions. The Russians claim the technology confuses the guidance systems of TOW and other anti-tank missiles.

Source: www.infowars.com...

edit on 29/11/15 by masqua because: Edited title - all caps

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
How long before jihadists mysteriously gain access to tandem warhead munitions?

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
How long before jihadists mysteriously gain access to tandem warhead munitions?

Within a week or two or less is my guess,America might "lose" or "misplace" some in jihadi occupied territory.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
if you read the original article it isn't Russia per se that deploys the Tanks, but rather Syria.
Not that it matters really, but still.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
-
edit on 29-11-2015 by chewi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

How long till Saudis, Turkey and whom else aiding military equipment to terrorism have to be stopped? How long till European countries have to realize that refugees increase because their "allies" are aiding terrorism?

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Shady news-sites like Farsnews and stuff run this story as well.
en.farsnews.com...

Makes me wonder why we don't see any pictures from the shiny new toys. In other words:
pics or it didn't happen!

S&F anyway, we should keep a keen eye on any syriaus business by now.

edit on 29-11-2015 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Well.......I rarely trust Infowars but did find this:
www.businessinsider.com...

I got to thinking about this and what seemed odd to me is that Russia would actually deploy such an expensive weapons platform for the Syrians to use......so I double checked my thinking and came across this:
foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

All of which tells me........the Russians are also providing Russian Tank crews for this deployment. The T-90 really is more than just a "Tank", it is truly a weapons platform and no one has the time to train Syrians on the use of this vehicle and its weapons systems.

So now.....we got Russian "boots on the ground".

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Got a credible source?

a reply to: TonyS
That works... Thnx

Your links shows them as defensive only for the russian bases. Russia ruled out ground troops so lets see if that changes.
edit on 29-11-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Turkeys shoot down of the Russian Jet allowed Russia to change it's operations and with that change the equipment needed to meet the new facts on the ground . S400's and the new tanks are to combat US made TOW's and Turkey's air incursions into the field of operations ......Chances now of Turkey pulling off the same sort of stunt are greatly reduced while the new Tanks can operate easier with a higher degree of safety to the crews ..... It's still a war but the enemies ability to engage is being diminished with every counter move ...

Hopefully the measures stopping the free flow of oil .weapons , and new recruits will see the Syrian Govt make much faster gains and a quicker end to ISIS ...Next region of operation just might be Iraq ....imo eta

edit on 29-11-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If Russia is deploying t-90s you can expect to see the BMPT showing its head. It was designed for operating in exactly the urban environments where the Syrians have been losing armour and to support and compliment main battle tanks. Looks like a pretty fearsome piece of kit.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It is notable that since Russia became actively involved in Syria, the term "terrorist" is being used to describe any opposition to the Assad regime. Some would consider Assad's regime to have perpetrated a reign of terror, but that's another thread.

I have a lot of respect for tank crews fighting in urban environments. As the Russians discovered in Chechnya, tanks don't like urban warfare and it's not just TOWs in Syria, it's RPGs and ex-Syrian weapons stolen or transferred.

The T90 may not really make too much difference.

What will make a real difference is the dove of peace.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Sounds like the Russians, got smart, with their countermeasures against incoming armor penetrating weapons. Microwave the Guidance system, is what i'm reading, when it says they use a millimeter-wavelength radar, to disrupt the guidance systems. I could be totally wrong, but all a microwave is, are very close wavelength vibrations, which are sent through some sort of chamber, to guide super-vibrated waves to a target, which could be a frozen Burrito, or an incoming missle. depending on the size of the system

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Wait till the Ruskies bring in s-500

That will really get the party started

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
NATO respond to the Russian build up in Syria.

- Spain is going to deploy a missile system to Turkey.

- US, and the UK are going to contribute With jets.

- Denmark and Germany are to deploy commando ships

Other nations are expected to deploy in the near future.

This will probably be breakin News in the media pritty soon.

It seams like NATO Jens seams nervous in he's talk today.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This would be a complete waste unless the Syrian rebels are going to be getting armor. The T-90 is just as vulnerable as any tank in an urban environment where it can be hit in its vulnerable points on top in particular. I suppose it might be an attempt to put some confidence into Syrian forces who were halted then suffered counter attacks but, if the rebels use their TOWs right it really does not matter what tank is being used. Frankly this is a lesson the Russians learned the hard way in Chechnya. The TOW has been around since the 1970's and is used by many many nations. Much like the RPG if used the right way no tank in the world is going to survive long in an urban environment. I suspect they will just sit back and act as short range artillery.

new topics

top topics

join