It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Guide to Aircraft & Spacecraft in Ancient Scripture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The ancient astronaut theory may not be everybody's darling but fact is: many ancient texts seem to describe aerial phenomena that, from today's perspective, could be interpreted as aircraft, spacecraft or other high-tech devices not known to the observers of the time. These text passages are sometimes so entirely out-of-place and out-of-time that one is tempted to question the metaphorical or religous meaning that historians and theologists have attributed to these reports.

The aim of this thread is to present text passages potentially describing aerial vehicles/advanced tech and some illustrations/comparisons to accompany the text as well as proper sources/links. The passages below are taken from the Mahabharata, Baghavad-Gita, the Old Testament and various texts from Roman scholars. Of course this compilation is far from complete: it can only become the „ultimate guide“ with your help, so feel free to add your references below! Here's a small collection to get started:

Pillars of Cloud & Fire

Exodus 13:21
„And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night.“

Cloud People

Isaiah 60:8
Who are these that fly like a cloud, and like doves to their windows?

Matthew 24:30
[…] and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Isaiah 19:1
[…] Behold, the Lord is riding on a swift cloud and comes to Egypt [...]

Exodus 34:5
The Lord descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord.

The Flying Scroll

Zechariah 5:1-2
Again I lifted my eyes and saw, and behold, a flying scroll! And he said to me, “What do you see?” I answered, “I see a flying scroll. Its length is twenty cubits, and its width ten cubits.”

Landing at Mount Sinai

Exodus 19:16-18
On the morning of the third day there were thunders and lightnings and a thick cloud on the mountain and a very loud trumpet blast, so that all the people in the camp trembled. Then Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet God, and they took their stand at the foot of the mountain. Now Mount Sinai was wrapped in smoke because the Lord had descended on it in fire. The smoke of it went up like the smoke of a kiln, and the whole mountain trembled greatly. And as the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God answered him in thunder.

Ezekiel's Otherworldly Encounter

Ezekiel 1:4-28
As I looked, behold, a stormy wind came out of the north, and a great cloud, with brightness around it, and fire flashing forth continually, and in the midst of the fire, as it were gleaming metal. And from the midst of it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had a human likeness. (ETA: Ezekiel's observation is so extensive and detailed that it is well worth looking at the whole first chapter. The mystery-vehicle makes a reappearance in chapter 43 where it fills a temple with smoke accompanied by the „sound of many waters“).

(continues in 2nd post)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
(… continued)

Advanced Vehicles in the Mahabharata

Mahabharata, Section LXV
And the Lord of all creatures, seated at his case in their midst, beheld an excellent car [chariot] stationed in the firmament, blazing with effulgence.

Mahabharata, Section VIII
And so on the north of the milky ocean, the Lord Hari of unlimited puissance dwelleth on his car [chariot] made of gold. That vehicle is endued with eight wheels, with numerous supernatural creatures stationed on it, and having the speed of the mind. And its complexion is that of fire, and it is endued with mighty energy and adorned with Jamvunada gold.

Mahabharata, Section LXIII
Bhimasena speedily came towards him, on his car [chariot] of solar effulgence and rattle loud as that of the clouds, (shrouding the welkin) with his arrowy showers like a vapoury canopy charged with rain.

Reports by Roman Scholars

Plutarch Marius 17.4
From Ameria and Tuder, cities of Italy, it was reported that at night there had been seen in the heavens flaming spears, and shields which at first moved in different directions, and then clashed together, assuming the formations and movements of men in battle, and finally some of them would give way, while others pressed on in pursuit, and all streamed away to the westward.

Plutarch, The Life of Lucullus 8.6
But presently, as they were on the point of joining battle, with no apparent change of weather, but all on a sudden, the sky burst asunder, and a huge, flame-like body was seen to fall between the two armies. In shape, it was most like a wine-jar, and in colour, like molten silver. Both sides were astonished at the sight, and separated. This marvel, as they say, occurred in Phrygia, at a place called Otryae.

Julius Obsequens 45
At Tarquinii a blazing torch was seen far and wide and fell suddenly dropping. Around the setting of the sun an orb similar to a shield seemed to be borne across [the sky] from the west to the east.

Livy 24.10
At Hadria [it was reported] that an altar, with appearances as of men surrounding it in white clothing, was seen in the heavens.

The Rockets of Satyaki

Mahabharata, Section LXXIV
Sanjaya said, "Then, O king, the mighty-armed Satyaki invincible in battle, drawing in that conflict an excellent bow capable of bearing a great strain shot innumerable winged arrows resembling snakes of virulent poison, displaying his wonderful lightness of hand. And while slaying his foes in battle, so quickly did he draw the bow, take out his arrows, fix them on the bowstring, and letting them off, throw them among the foe, that he then seemed to be a mass of clouds pouring a thick shower of rain. Beholding him then thus blazing up (like a swelling fire), king Duryodhana, O Bharata, despatched ten thousand cars against him. But that great bowman, Satyaki, of prowess incapable of being baffled and possessed of great energy, slew with his celestial weapons all those mighty car-warriors.

I think these descriptions and cases raise the question of what has really been observed back then. Where did the inspiration come from to describe in such detail modern concepts, which are so familiar to our technological society? Were there really machines in the sky in ancient times? Did our ancestors witness take-offs and landings of advanced aerial vehicles? Or are all of these cases just misinterpreted natural phenomena or relgious fantasies? I wouldn't place my bet on all this being the result of daydreaming and pure imagination, but you be the judge.

As mentioned above, in order to really make this the „ultimate“ guide, please post your finds below as I'm sure there are many other intriguing references that are worth mentioning and that didn't fit into the original post!

Sources & Links:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity (PDF)
2. What does the Bible say about UFO's
3. The Mahabharata & Bhagavad Gita

NOTE: All other sources/links have been indicated directly in the text passages of the OP

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

Ooh! That's interesting!
I personally lean more forward to the theory that some can lift the veil of time, or some inventions are so big they reflect back, than ancient aliens, but you put a lot of effort in that! S&f!

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I think these descriptions and cases raise the question of what has really been observed back then.

There was definitely something going on, that's for sure. The only part I have trouble with is when fire and smoke are described. Surely interdimensional or space faring beings don't use solid fuel for propulsion, would they?. IDK.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
very informative and useful info. thanks

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

That could depend on the fuel they were using.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

That's a well put together OP but I have to say on the flip side that it is all down to interpretation , both of the original texts and our interpretation of what was meant by the author.

Maybe ET did visit in the past but I'm not sure these texts our reports of that , we can't even be sure they are of real events.

edit on 28-11-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

That could depend on the fuel they were using.

Yes, you're right. We could refer to those as "Intergalactic Polluters." Combustion is a poor way to extract energy from fuel, I think.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
So, whats a car-warrior, my googling brought up some stupid tv show.

Armoured Chariot warriors?

ps: I enjoyed the read, sf

edit on 28-11-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

You had me until you mentioned Ezekiel.

I'm no biblical scholar but as gortex said it's "all down to interpretation." It's like song lyrics-they have a different meaning to different people.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

I think these descriptions and cases raise the question of what has really been observed back then.

There was definitely something going on, that's for sure. The only part I have trouble with is when fire and smoke are described. Surely interdimensional or space faring beings don't use solid fuel for propulsion, would they?. IDK.

Fire and smoke would be evidence of rocket engines, which carry both their own oxygen and combustible fuel. Those can operate in the vacuum of space and in an atmosphere.

I'm always fascinated by the Indian vimana's. I've wonder whether they could have been built on thermo-accoustics combined with conical pipes. Heat a wire or pipe that crosses through the middle of a conical pipe with holes at each end. Like a whistle, the air will vibrate but because the pipe is conical more air will go out one end than the other, thus providing a force. The heat is transported by liquid mercury heated by solar or coal.

There are some records from Chinese history:

* The Chinese Annals relate that Emperor Shun (2258-2208 B.C.) constructed not only a flying apparatus but even made a parachute about the same time Daedalus built his gliders.

* The Chinese poet Chu Yuan (3rd Century B.C.) wrote of his flight in a jade chariot at a high altitude over the Gobi Desert towards the Kun Lun Mountains. He accurately described how the aircraft was unaffected by the winds and dust of the Gobi, and how he conducted an aerial survey.

* In the early part of the fourth century Ko-Hung wrote about a helicopter in China: "Some have made flying cars with wood from the inner part of the jujube tree, using ox leather straps fastened to rotating blades to set the machine in motion."

rense.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

OP, you are failing to consider the traditional Hebrew interpretation of Ezekiel's vision. Why do you not bother to mention that and instead jump to the modern sci fi that it is somehow God in His space ship? Have some respect for the tradition.

en.wikipedia.org...

The above link will take you to the Wikipedia article about Merkabah Mysticism. It is a very good and accurate article. There you will get an idea of Merkabah and see that Ezekiel's vision is very well catered for by Hebrew mysticism:

"Merkabah/Merkavah mysticism (or Chariot mysticism) is a school of early Jewish mysticism, c. 100 BCE – 1000 CE, centered on visions such as those found in the Book of Ezekiel chapter 1, or in the hekhalot ("palaces") literature, concerning stories of ascents to the heavenly palaces and the Throne of God. The main corpus of the Merkabah literature was composed in Israel in the period 200–700 CE, although later references to the Chariot tradition can also be found in the literature of the Chassidei Ashkenaz in the Middle Ages.[1] A major text in this tradition is the Maaseh Merkabah (Works of the Chariot).[2]"

"According to the verses in Ezekiel and its attendant commentaries, his vision consists of a chariot made of many heavenly beings driven by the "Likeness of a Man." The base structure of the chariot is composed of four beings. These beings are called the "living creatures" (Hebrew: חיות hayyot or khayyot). The bodies of the creatures are "like that of a human being", but each of them has four faces, corresponding to the four directions the chariot can go (East, South, North and West). The faces are that of a man, a lion, an ox (later changed to a cherub in Ezekiel 10:14) and an eagle. Since there are four angels and each has four faces, there are a total of sixteen faces. Each "Hayyot" angel also has four wings. Two of these wings spread across the length of the chariot and connect with the wings of the angel on the other side. This creates a sort of 'box' of wings that forms the perimeter of the chariot. With the remaining two wings, each angel covers its own body. Below, but not attached to, the feet of the "Hayyot" angels are other angels that are shaped like wheels. These wheel angels, which are described as "a wheel inside of a wheel", are called "Ophanim" אופנים (lit. wheels, cycles or ways). These wheels are not directly under the chariot but are nearby and along its perimeter. The angel with the face of the man is always on the east side and looks up at the "Likeness of a Man" that drives the chariot. The "Likeness of a Man" sits on a throne made of sapphire."

You have probably done the same thing with the Mahabharata, throwing a sci fi interpretation on that, ignoring the ancient tradition that already knows what it means.

Have some respect for these traditions and at least inform people that there are traditional interpretations that are ancient and differ starkly to your fanciful notion of space ships coming to the earth and being recorded in these traditions.

Ezekiel's Chariot is a VISION. He went into another place. There is an ancient tradition of Merkabah (may be the Prophets were adepts?) that involve a Chariot of Heavenly travel that is not earthly, not of matter, not space ships, but spiritually constructed.

edit on 28-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

That's a well put together OP but I have to say on the flip side that it is all down to interpretation , both of the original texts and our interpretation of what was meant by the author.

Maybe ET did visit in the past but I'm not sure these texts our reports of that , we can't even be sure they are of real events.

How far back in history do we really have to go before reasonable doubt can be cast on the events described? We can't be "sure" of what happened even 100 years ago, much less the 30,000 years ago of the Vedic stuff. IMO we can be reasonably sure that it wasn't all just made up.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
So, whats a car-warrior, my googling brought up some stupid tv show.

Armoured Chariot warriors?

ps: I enjoyed the read, sf

Stupid TV show?

That's The Road Warrior.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

If the assessment isn't "otherworldly" then how else would you interpret it?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Fire and smoke would be evidence of rocket engines, which carry both their own oxygen and combustible fuel. Those can operate in the vacuum of space and in an atmosphere.

The only trouble is that in order to go from star to star, they would need more fuel than they could possibly carry. It can't be solid fuel unless they've found a way to take a nominal amount of that fuel to transition from one dimension to another - or they could be nearby in our own Galaxy. Either way, it might be possible, who knows? Thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Well, they might have used fuel like a rocket fuel type thing just for take off, and another for the actual travel. Believe it or not but combustion or 'exploding' fuels give the best bang for your buck. gasoline for example has the power to move a two ton vehicle like a van or truck with little ease for long distances, and a small amount can move that vehicle far.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

There are some records from Chinese history:

* The Chinese Annals relate that Emperor Shun (2258-2208 B.C.) constructed not only a flying apparatus but even made a parachute about the same time Daedalus built his gliders.

* The Chinese poet Chu Yuan (3rd Century B.C.) wrote of his flight in a jade chariot at a high altitude over the Gobi Desert towards the Kun Lun Mountains. He accurately described how the aircraft was unaffected by the winds and dust of the Gobi, and how he conducted an aerial survey.

* In the early part of the fourth century Ko-Hung wrote about a helicopter in China: "Some have made flying cars with wood from the inner part of the jujube tree, using ox leather straps fastened to rotating blades to set the machine in motion."

rense.com...

Interesting link, thanks for adding those references. I sometimes wonder how many other technology-related text passages there may be in ancient scripture of non-mainstream cultures/religions (text passages that have not yet been considered in that specific context).

By the way: your rense link also mentions the following interesting statement:

"The Ramayana describes the 'vimana' as a double deck circular aircraft with portholes and a dome. It flew with the 'speed of the wind' and gave forth a 'melodious sound'. Now that sounds more advanced than the jets we see now - what were they?"

Does anyone on here happen to know where to find the original snippet of the above description in the Ramayana? Would be great to have the direct link to that particular section...
edit on 28-11-2015 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I'm sure they wouldn't use combustible fuel for inter dimensional/stellar travel. However, once in orbit of a planet it would probably be easier to use a smaller ship or pod attached to the "mother ship" if you will that uses a combustible fuel source to travel to and from the ground. Just an idea

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Can I add some, from another part of the world? These are two of my favourite:

The story of Conn, from 'The Magical Stone of Tara':

"one evening Conn of the Hundred Battles repaired at sunrise to the Ri Raith at Tara, accompanied by his three druids, Mael, Bloc and Bluicne, and his three poets, Ethain, Corb and Cesare; for he was accustomed every day to repair to this place with the same company, for the purpose of watching the skies, that no hostile ariel beings should descend upon Ireland..."

(Brennan, The Stones of Time.)

And the story of Mug Ruith, the druid:

Mug Ruith (or Mogh Roith, "slave of the wheel") is a figure in Irish mythology, a powerful blind druid of Munster who lived on Valentia Island, County Kerry. He could grow to enormous size, and his breath caused storms and turned men to stone. He wore a hornless bull-hide and a bird mask, and flew in a machine called the roth rámach, the "oared wheel". He had an ox-driven chariot in which night was as bright as day, a star-speckled black shield with a silver rim, and a stone which could turn into a poisonous eel when thrown in water.

Wiki link

Mug Ruith is a bizarre character, who built his flying machine with Simon Magus and also said to have beheaded John the Baptist. He was described as a druid rather than a god, with no real reason given for his flying machine.

I'm loving your thread, it's a great idea to compile all the stories in one place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join