It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Li-Fi Internet Is 100 Times Faster Than Wi-Fi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Major update on Li-Fi technology!
New developments yield test speeds of 224 gigabits per second, or in other words a whopping 28GB/s.
Can you imagine the possibilities? What we'll be capable of achieving in the future?

Li-Fi, which was first invented by Harold Haas of the University of Edinburgh in 2011, uses visible light communication (VLC) to send data at extremely high speeds. Essentially, this works like an incredibly fast signal lamp, flashing on and off in order to relay messages in binary code (1s and 0s). In previous lab-based experiments, the technology was able to transmit up to 224 gigabits per second. To put this in perspective, Wi-Fi is capable of reaching speeds of around 600 megabits per second.
IFL Science Source

-One 'feature' of this technology is that its signals can't be passed through walls- a plus for security.
-Early testing in real-world environments yielding ~1GB/s
-Increased frequency range results in greater stability

Also, a search produced this post from a couple years back discussing Li-Fi technology (definitely worth a look):
Internet From LED Bulbs
It mentions speed capabilities of 3Gbps. Look how far we've come!

Stay astonished!

A & E

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
So this is just like normal fibre optics (which are MUCH faster) only instead its open to the room rather than a closed circuit?

Thats not really that impressive to be honest, what happens if theres a few transmitters in the room?

And for greater secuirity yes, but if anyone can see that beacon transmitter through a window im sure the network could be compromised - obviously thats a lot of hassle and a room with no windows would be 100% safe, just saying that its far from infallible.
edit on b2727524 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

I'm in!!!! Bring it!!@224GB/sec...dang....so may need to get the bugs ironed out for the office and crib..Just think about the possibilities for trains,planes answer automobiles; )

Great find Adam! !!! S&F!!

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Seeing 802.11ac deployed (now that we are in 2015) we are looking at actual real world speeds of 2.5gbps on existing commercial wireless.

From my point of view, Li-Fi would need a very specific use case to be deployed anywhere at this time.
Can't really think of any myself though

edit on 26-11-2015 by beercan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: beercan

Seeing 802.11ac deployed (now that we are in 2015) we are looking at actual real world speeds of 2.5gbps on existing commercial wireless.

From my point of view, Li-Fi would need a very specific use case to be deployed anywhere at this time.
Can't really think of any myself though

Operating theaters with remote telepresence., and anywhere that requires high-speed internet access.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Am afraid that is just a dream for me, since our internet capabilities are yet to see 1GB/s - currently at 3mb/s

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
a reply to: beercan

Excellent points, however the application of this technology goes MUCH further than simply replacing Wi-Fi.
The link provided at the bottom of the post:
Internet From LED Bulbs
explored further uses such as transmitting video signal via LED.
This opens doors for replacing TV / computer cords as well as transmitting light-speed data to phones / tablets (on par with fibre optics) wirelessly. Rather impressive after all.

Biigs, you're spot on with the security concerns, rather hard to quantify with wireless technologies.
Thanks for the input!

edit on 26-11-2015 by ADAMandEVIL because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2015 by ADAMandEVIL because: ETA link

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Great, so now people can insult and argue a little faster.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The fact that it cannot pass through walls restricts this to a local system. WiFi does not have this restriction. For example, I have a single WiFi hub in my house. It works for my stuff upstairs, downstairs, in the garage (Believe it or not, my garage doors are connected to the Internet via WiFi! An Android app monitors the doors/) and even out in the yard.

But WiFi or LiFi has to "go to ground" at some point and enter the ISP stream via cable or some other wiring system, which slows it right down to the speed of your ISP connection where you have to compete for bandwidth with other subscribers. And if your LiFi can't leave the room, that means your ground connection must also be in the room someplace. If you;re attempting to stream a hi-def movie, well, you could just connect directly and by-pass LiFi altogether.

I'm not saying it isn't a Good Thing(tm), but I think it's being hyped a bit. Your average consumer is not going to be connecting to the Internet at LiFi speeds any time soon.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I read about this a few days ago and i had to wonder if this would have any health risks to the general public?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
can barely afford my 50mbps net speed lol. I bet this would be over 1ooo a month. no thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
can barely afford my 50mbps net speed lol. I bet this would be over 1ooo a month. no thanks.
That's a good point. maybe prices for 50megs will go down after this? I still remember crappy dial up days.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
That's like a precursor for everything in the cloud..yes your OS too..

edit on 0b06America/ChicagoThu, 26 Nov 2015 19:27:06 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 26 Nov 2015 19:27:06 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Right now, MAN's or metropolitan area networks would be one of the few that could take advantage of this kind of data transfer. Honestly, we're looking at a major leap forward in the industry in the next 5 years. There are several advancements in R&D right now that could make today's PC's obsolete very quickly. The industry is more likely to do what it has always done though, and drip feed it to us gradually, to maximize their return.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MadRob

That's a good point. maybe prices for 50megs will go down after this? I still remember crappy dial up days.

Ah yes, the dial-up days.

Connecting onto the internet with that glorious internet connection dial tone.

Waiting 2 hours for a 3mb song to finish downloading from Napster, all the while hoping and praying that your internet doesn't disconnect half way through the download process... lest you have to start all over again.

Ahhh the good ol' days.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I wonder what it would cost monthly? I know there are massive differences between my country (Canada) and, say, Japan. Astronomical differences. I could only imagine this also would cost an astronomical amount, too.

But it would definitely be nice if it was reasonable

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

originally posted by: MadRob

Ah yes, the dial-up days.

Connecting onto the internet with that glorious internet connection dial tone.

Waiting 2 hours for a 3mb song to finish downloading from Napster, all the while hoping and praying that your internet doesn't disconnect half way through the download process... lest you have to start all over again.

Ahhh the good ol' days.

TWO HOURS???
It was like 2 weeks here.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

We are scarred for life from those days...all they need to do now is make the sound of the dial up connecting and many of us would have serious heart palpitations

edit on 27-11-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Oklahoma City capitol used wireless laser networks on the grounds. I always wanted a ser of back haul units for that damn school that losses its aerial fiber to big trucks passing between the buildings every year.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I wonder if health issues are the same with Lifi than Wifi?

So many researchs prove that Wifi is hazardous to our health, I guess that's why they are setting it up everywhere. I don't have it at home but even in my basement, I get more wifi signals than I can count the number of appartements nearby.

Quite hard to have our own health in my our hands when we are bombarded this way.
edit on 27-11-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join