It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penmanship.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

I lost interest in hand writing which is a shame as it was hammered into me as a kid...on the upside I could build you a mean writing station like the one in your pic

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have no doubt that this piece will be of little interest to most people...Not at all the case for me...

I have always has a fascination of cursive writing and like the guy presenting the talks I view handwriting as an art form...Back in the beginning stages of school while others would draw pictures I would practice making and copying the letters in the cursive instruction books we used in handwriting class...

By the time I reached 8th grade, my writing was identical to the writing in the instruction books...And while I was lousy at and didn't care for art, it had never occurred to me that handwriting/penmanship could have been my art...

Now as an old man I still get compliments on my penmanship...My father had excellent penmanship as did a lot of people in his generation...It certainly has lost it's appeal over the generations...

What has always fascinated me was how other left-handed people would go into great contortions of their hands to keep the letters from falling over backwards...As a lefty, I never had that problem although being left handed did have its problems using a fountain pen...

Great piece you posted...

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I lost interest in hand writing which is a shame as it was hammered into me as a kid...on the upside I could build you a mean writing station like the one in your pic

Oh how i wish we lived nearer lol!

Actualy, i have been looking at plans on the net for writing desks, whilst i love the types in my picture, i think they would be quite big for my house, so i could maybe make one myself and just reduce the scale a bit.

That said, it's my big love as a hobby so even if it took up half my living room, i wouldn't care. I'm on my own most of the time here, and i tend to have my house with my hobbys surrounding me and at hand, whether that be music, writing or art. I'm not fussed about it looking like a show house for when visitors come. My house works for me and i like that

CX.

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

What a great story, thanks for sharing that.

Nice to hear you've kept it going through the years, i like the fact that an art is being kept alive by a few passionate people

I can't get my head round how lefties write cursive, have just printed myself out a load more copy sheets, and i found it hard enough getting used to writing at an angle with my right hand, let alone my left.

Juust been looking at a new oblique pen too and i see they do them for left handers.

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Now, that's my kind of house! My dining room table always has a litter of some sort on it---right now it's gourds, paints, wood-burning pens and such as I attempt to get some requested gifts done for Christmas.
Doing calligraphy with a wood-burning pen is a real challenge for me. Perhaps if I did it on a daily basis it would be easier but it takes me several hours to get back up to speed if I've taken a few days off.
I would love a desk like the one in the picture! I once owned a nice one that was similar to that one but in my days of being broke I ended up trading it for some mechanical work on my car. It's okay though because I still see it every time I have my car tuned up. It has a nice home.
My current desk is a mission-style library table that my aunt purchased in Oklahoma in the 1930s. It's a beast to move around but has a nice, roomy top.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join